• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

canceling service prompt

You can also buy a non wifi version for $299.
http://www.beemershop.com/Merchant5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GS911USBOBD2
Don't know if Bob's has this one on sale also?

Not sure. I bought the WiFi for peace of mind while on the road.
I haven't received it yet but I understand their App interface is very good for remote troubleshooting.
I did get a note from them telling me there is a short back order so I guess they are selling at a brisk pace.
I think the sale ends on the 30th.

Joe

Motoscan

I have a GS-911 and am very glad I do, however, the $400 cost is enough to dissuade the casual do-it-yourselfer. I've read a few posts about an alternative diagnostic tool that seems to be able to perform many of the same functions for a much smaller investment; it is called ScanTool MX. I do not know enough about it to recommend it, but I recommend investigating it if you need a diagnostic tool that can read codes, reset codes, reset service reminders and test function the ABS pump (all things it is supposed to be able to do on a smart phone). ScanTool has a website: https://www.scantool.net/. The costs below were lifted from a post over on r1200GS.info;

"ScanTool MX $79.95 (Amazon)
Connector cable for 10 pin connector $20 (Amazon) Newer bikes won't need the adaptor cable as they have OBD connectors now, but my 2015 has 10 pin.
Pro verision of the Motoscan app $27.95 (Android Play store) Pro version is required for most functionality including resetting the service reminder."

I use that setup from Amazon. It works simply great via blue-tooth with any mobile phone. I bought the upgraded pro software package( 3 levels at around 30 bucks a piece. You decide) and the plug cable for the older pre OBDII bikes. I use it on all my BMWs. RT, GBA and F.
no messing around with VIN numbers, etc. It works on almost all BMW bikes. The whole setup w/upgraded software, OBDII connector, plug cable costs less than half of the GS-911 and does the same. I reset all my service lights to years ahead and 50000 miles. I reset the canbus light warning on the F in the dash when I changed my incandescent taillight bulb to an LED bulb. Works like a charm and costs just the bulb.
checks all the error codes (if there ever are any) on any bike and lets you reset them.
Good stuff

Back