• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

canceling service prompt

devo

After my dealer break-in service, I've been doing my own oil changes, etc. How do I cancel the annoying service prompt on my dash??? (2016 F700)

Have a friend with a GS911 clear it for you. It shouldn't even 'cost' them a VIN, if that's all you're doing.

Have a friend with a GS911 clear it for you. It shouldn't even 'cost' them a VIN, if that's all you're doing.

Clearing a service reminder is one of the few things that requires you to register a VIN to the GS911.

I have a GS-911 and am very glad I do, however, the $400 cost is enough to dissuade the casual do-it-yourselfer. I've read a few posts about an alternative diagnostic tool that seems to be able to perform many of the same functions for a much smaller investment; it is called ScanTool MX. I do not know enough about it to recommend it, but I recommend investigating it if you need a diagnostic tool that can read codes, reset codes, reset service reminders and test function the ABS pump (all things it is supposed to be able to do on a smart phone). ScanTool has a website: https://www.scantool.net/. The costs below were lifted from a post over on r1200GS.info;

"ScanTool MX $79.95 (Amazon)
Connector cable for 10 pin connector $20 (Amazon) Newer bikes won't need the adaptor cable as they have OBD connectors now, but my 2015 has 10 pin.
Pro verision of the Motoscan app $27.95 (Android Play store) Pro version is required for most functionality including resetting the service reminder."

After my dealer break-in service, I've been doing my own oil changes, etc. How do I cancel the annoying service prompt on my dash??? (2016 F700)
In a real world marketing, your dealer should do it (IMO). Of course purchasing your supplies at your dealer would be a great incentive. Sometimes a dealer reset can give you the "latest and greatest" in software upgrades.
I basically gave up on a dealer as after having them do a tire and oil/filter change, the bike was returned with the service minder not reset. I questioned them and they said "you didn't mention you wanted it hooked to the computer". My response was "does anyone come in for an oil and filter and expect the reminder light to be on"?
Hey, it's their shop, they can run it the way they want. It didn't impress me, did my own tire and oil since.
Again, IMO, good marketing should be- "an oil and filter on your bike is $XX.XX which includes a reset of the reminder light".
My light (SERVICE) has been on a while, no big deal.
OM

annoying service reminder

I'm remote from a dealer and can't see buying a diagnostic unit. Hard to believe an owner can't cancel a service reminder w/out one. I guess I live with it.

My light (SERVICE) has been on a while, no big deal.
OM

Before I bought my GS911 and had the K1300S I left the service light on for 10,000 miles or so to see if a yellow warning triangle would appear.
A warning triangle never did display and all I had was the tiny service message which was not very noticeable.

If you do have someone reset it for you, have it set to remind you some date way in the future. I can't remember what the max is, but no harm if you do your own service and stay on top of it

If you do have someone reset it for you, have it set to remind you some date way in the future. I can't remember what the max is, but no harm if you do your own service and stay on top of it

On my old yellow unit I would use 23,999 miles. My new red unit will not let me set it that far.

Pro verision of the Motoscan app $27.95 (Android Play store) Pro version is required for most functionality including resetting the service reminder."

I just tried to change the Service Reminder settings with MotoScan Frofessional version 0.55 beta and it did not work. Sent a report to the company to find out what's wrong.

The Live Data function display for all units seems to work OK.

I got a quick reply from the developer and I realized that the 'Reset service reminder' - the new value - is stated in a different line on top of that page under 'Next service'. So, it works!

/Guenther

I got a quick reply from the developer and I realized that the 'Reset service reminder' - the new value - is stated in a different line on top of that page under 'Next service'. So, it works!

/Guenther

Good deal.
I take it you need to use some type of OBD bluetooth adapter with the phone app?

I have a GS-911 and am very glad I do, however, the $400 cost is enough to dissuade the casual do-it-yourselfer. I've read a few posts about an alternative diagnostic tool that seems to be able to perform many of the same functions for a much smaller investment; it is called ScanTool MX. I do not know enough about it to recommend it, but I recommend investigating it if you need a diagnostic tool that can read codes, reset codes, reset service reminders and test function the ABS pump (all things it is supposed to be able to do on a smart phone). ScanTool has a website: https://www.scantool.net/. The costs below were lifted from a post over on r1200GS.info;

"ScanTool MX $79.95 (Amazon)
Connector cable for 10 pin connector $20 (Amazon) Newer bikes won't need the adaptor cable as they have OBD connectors now, but my 2015 has 10 pin.

Awesome, I already have the Scantool MX I use on my cars. So sounds like all I need is the 10 pin connector and the Motoscan APP

Any OBD to Bluetooth adapter which claims to have the ELM 327 chip in it should work. There are a bunch of them below $20 on Amazon.

/Guenther

Any OBD to Bluetooth adapter which claims to have the ELM 327 chip in it should work. There are a bunch of them below $20 on Amazon.

/Guenther

Not all, while I used my ELM327 successfully on my GM cars with several apps, Scantool couldn't connect to ECU with it and compatibility showed it can't write in a way that's needed for coding changes and date resets.
The MX adapter does it all. My date is fixed, service date set, mileage set and tinkered with coding, luckily it has a restore from backup function that lets you restore to original settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the same experience. Ordered a tiny adapter on ebay with the ELM chip which worked on my car with the Torque app but not on the bike. I had an older no brand adapter which works on both.

/Guenther

I just tried to change the Service Reminder settings with MotoScan Frofessional version 0.55 beta and it did not work. Sent a report to the company to find out what's wrong.

The Live Data function display for all units seems to work OK.

I reset my Sevice reminder with Motoscan 0.55 Ultimate (or whatever the almost $50 version is called) recently on my 2017 F700GS (yay, no 10 pin adapter), set my clock right, as it was off since pulling battery to install AF-XIED and even played with the coding, but since I had all drive modes already I could only turn off Enduro, kind of curious if it lets you enable it if you didnt buy Enduro on a F700

Only weird thing is that my units are imperial but I had to calculate what km the 12000 miles are I wanted to set and write 19312, after that all was happy. (Current "miles" were off by same amount which made me realize it)

/Guenther

I had a elm327 that worked on a few apps and cars, Motoscan adapter test showed it could read but not write with it.
Ordered Scantool MX and adapter check shows more info about the adapter and that it is read/write.

Back