• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Getting rid of Facebook?

Are you dropping Facebook?

• Yes

Votes: 16 47.1%
  • No

Votes: 18 52.9%

• Total voters
I determined, early on in my online life, that I had no hope of being invisible. Our only recourse is to flood them with so much data even the borg has trouble sorting it out!

Voni
sMiling

Being asocial by nature, I never thought it to be a useful tool for my lifestyle, therefore, I never signed up. I have no illusions as to my anonymity on the web, dark or otherwise, but do try to carefully consider where I spend my online time.

What Facebook does is miniscule compared to what Google does. Facebook never took photos of my property. Did you ever use Google to do a search? Noted and logged! And distributed!

Once as an experiment I did a google search for duck decoys. I have never been duck hunting in my life. But within an hour I started receiving ads for duck decoys, waders, and even a jon-boat.

And, the Facebook "story" in being misinterpreted. An apparent legitimate professor type researcher obtained data for research with a"My Personality Quiz" app and then sold the data to Cambridge Analytica (screwing his academic colleagues in the process) which it seems then sold it to the Russians which then used it to brainwash US voters; to do the same during Britian's Brexit vote, and apparently other places too. The best outcome would be for gullible people to never, ever, consider Facebook a reliable source about anything except maybe your grandkids, and then be cautious. Do not fall for the old, "Grandpa, I'm in London and need money because ..." gambit.

Check this out:

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/social...book-knows-about-you-check-out-google-n860781

Many peeps I know have dropped FB out of their life in recent days in light of the breach of privacy. My brother and I did too.
Most of us know that privacy on-line is in your own hands but many didn't count on how certain companies use FB to sway votes one way or the other.
Elon Musk has dropped Tesla and SpaceX from FB.
Is anyone really going to "miss" out on life without it??

I have eaten my share of peeps at Easter time, but what the hell is a FB?:gerg

Wow. FB doesn't even come close to Google when it comes to information gathering. One has to wonder just how far this goes and to what end? I've always known they tracked everything you do on the web but logging every step you take with a phone in your pocket is pretty invasive to put it mildly.
Have a look at the back end of your computer........You will find 6 or 8 Google programs/cookies/analytical entries all scurrying around with your info. :eek
OM

Occasionally I clear all the cookies and webdata on my iMac. Once this is done I visit my normal websites and watch to see what cookies pop up for each site I visit. The most prolific cookies that show are Google Analytics and Facebook. They will show on just about every site I visit which are primarily motorcycle forums, news sites and some vendors. Want to guess what shows whe you visit this site?

Back