• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Getting rid of Facebook?

Are you dropping Facebook?

• Yes

Votes: 16 47.1%
  • No

Votes: 18 52.9%

• Total voters

riderr1150gsadv

Many peeps I know have dropped FB out of their life in recent days in light of the breach of privacy. My brother and I did too.
Most of us know that privacy on-line is in your own hands but many didn't count on how certain companies use FB to sway votes one way or the other.
Elon Musk has dropped Tesla and SpaceX from FB.
Is anyone really going to "miss" out on life without it??

It would be interesting if one of the answers was "never been registered for facebook". Because of that, I can't vote in the poll. :dunno

Or maybe "was on facebook a long time ago and have never returned".

Or "planned on joining facebook in the future".

But it would be a sampling of the members who visit/post on the forum and their overall relationship with facebook. No biggee...I guess.

I dropped out about 6 months ago as I grew tired of all the advertising and political posturing. It got to a point where the 10% of value wasn't worth the 90% of garbage.

Can't miss what I never experienced. :dance

:)laugh That's also a reason the I avoid demo rides on the new models. :laugh)

I could be counted among those that never joined Facebook, and never plan to.

Agree with Jim I am not on Facebook think it is one of the evil empires. That being said my wife does use Facebook for entertainment ( laughs at the stupidity) and it is one of the most efficient ways to keep track of distant family.

What Facebook does is miniscule compared to what Google does. Facebook never took photos of my property. Did you ever use Google to do a search? Noted and logged! And distributed!

Once as an experiment I did a google search for duck decoys. I have never been duck hunting in my life. But within an hour I started receiving ads for duck decoys, waders, and even a jon-boat.

And, the Facebook "story" in being misinterpreted. An apparent legitimate professor type researcher obtained data for research with a"My Personality Quiz" app and then sold the data to Cambridge Analytica (screwing his academic colleagues in the process) which it seems then sold it to the Russians which then used it to brainwash US voters; to do the same during Britian's Brexit vote, and apparently other places too. The best outcome would be for gullible people to never, ever, consider Facebook a reliable source about anything except maybe your grandkids, and then be cautious. Do not fall for the old, "Grandpa, I'm in London and need money because ..." gambit.

Last edited:
In 2015 Facebook willingly provided similar information to a group working for the other party. The woman that led the effort in using the data for political purposes made the rounds of talk shows, was touted as a genius and bragged that her party would have the information for years to come. The abuse crosses political lines but it appears Facebook is more willing to dispense the data to their preferred political party.

Last edited:
It is just amazing how much of your personal info is out there and, as I found out on a personal level, a lot of mis-information as well.
Like Paul eluded to, Google has even more on anyone than FB and that is just scary if you think about it. I have and acquaintance who is not visible on the web, but he works for the government...

PS: you can keep messenger even if you close your FB account. This is the way I keep in touch with my family all over the world.

I too agree with Paul. Google is much more insidious than Fb. They even scanned your emails...

By the way does anyone really believe that erasing and closing your Fb account will erase everything about you on there?
And even if you never had an account on Fb chances are that you have a phantom account there. If anyone ever published anything about you, you are on Fb.
If anything was made public, it's still somewhere on the internet.
Just check out the way back machine.

I find it a great way to share my trips with friends in the riding and golden retriever communities. I've never taken any of those quizzes out of common sense. It took me about a month of blocking ad types, those who blindly reposted bogus memes, and the openly hostile/bigoted, but now I have a feed that is virtually free of venom and alternative facts from Vladimir.

I'll stay, but demand that my elected officials take solid steps to protect users.

Back