• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Saying Goodbye

...Apparently there are quite a few of us who have decided that the time has come to quit riding...a personal decision based not only how much you love riding but also what factors in your personal ageing process have reduced your abilities as a rider...

I know there are riders older than I am on this forum..I would very much like to hear their take on the above post.

I'm 69, but I think the main factors are experience, practise, fitness, and genetic luck.

Last edited:
We were having "Coffee with Dave" (David Hough) at the Rally in Nakusp, BC two years ago. Dave looked at the gray hair around the room and posed a question: "Can anybody suggest strategies we can use as we get older in order to keep riding?"

I thought for a moment and offered three things: "Shorter days, smaller bikes, and lonelier roads."

I now live in very rural southwest Texas, try to ride 300 miles days, and just bought a new 2018 G310GS.

As of about a year ago, at age 80, David Hough sold his bikes and stopped riding. He said it was just time. I bought his Blue Aerostich Darian Jacket and wear it all the time when riding.

Youngster! :)

Yeppers...:)

In a conversation started on our Facebook group page, a young lady named Mara, asked, “What is the MOA doing to attract younger riders?” To which I answered, “We offer the same benifits to young riders as we do old.” I doubt she saw it as there were hundreds of comments, mostly old men getting in pissing contests on social media... a couple of relative comments sandwiched in between all the cynicism...

It made me think. With patience, and effort, the MOA offers an opportunity for a younger generation of riders to take charge, contribute, make the club a better place. To take something you love like riding, and get creative; find ways to make the community and the MOA better. No dollar benifit is going to supersede the satisfaction one will obtain from a job well done.

Back to that Kennedy quote, “Ask not what the MOA do for you, but what you can do for the MOA.” He was on to something profound. There is greater satisfaction in giving and sharing to that which you love than receiving.

Senior Rider?

This thread was begun by Doug who with warmth and candor, shared his reasons for dismounting. I've read all the responses and related comments others shared. So now I am curious - how old is the eldest man/woman of your acquaintance still riding? I learned here in the forum that Mr. David Hough for example recently stepped off at 80.

The most senior rider I know is 83. He rides one of the venerable boxers in his collection from home to the airport each day - about 20 miles R/T on surface streets - and still "runs' one marathon a year. That's gotta' be partly DNA. The most senior motorcyclist I know is 101. He dismounted at 90, and would tell you as he has me, he should have stopped sooner. But I so enjoy hearing him share stories about riding in Europe during WWII, even though I am not at all sure, and do not care to know, how much of these narratives is entirely "true." :)

So now I am curious - how old is the eldest man/woman of your acquaintance still riding?

The oldest I personally know is a gentleman who is 90 or 91. Last year he had tire trouble on his F800 so we took the wheel/tire off Voni's bike and bolted it on his so he could go the 400 miles back home. The wheel/tire returned FedEx.

We were having "Coffee with Dave" (David Hough) at the Rally in Nakusp, BC two years ago. Dave looked at the gray hair around the room and posed a question: "Can anybody suggest strategies we can use as we get older in order to keep riding?"

I thought for a moment and offered three things: "Shorter days, smaller bikes, and lonelier roads."

I now live in very rural southwest Texas, try to ride 300 miles days, and just bought a new 2018 G310GS.

As of about a year ago, at age 80, David Hough sold his bikes and stopped riding. He said it was just time. I bought his Blue Aerostich Darian Jacket and wear it all the time when riding.

Thanks so much for this info about David Hough, Paul. I am just one of thousands who benefited greatly from his books and also enjoyed his "coffee with Dave" talks at BMW rallies. Unlike Vonny, he DID have some crashes, and yet went on riding. I am so happy that he gave up riding rather than have riding take his life. I think he may have done more for riding a motorcycle safely than any other author or instructor. I hope he has many more happy years ahead of him.

That just puts a great big grin on my face. Thanks. :)

Shared in our Facebook group page giving credit for the find to the forums. My riding buddy is 73, a Vietnam veteran and I learn from him every time we go riding together. Mr. Jerry Elliot and his ilk inspire me.

Good Day

Shared in our Facebook group page giving credit for the find to the forums. My riding buddy is 73, a Vietnam veteran and I learn from him every time we go riding together. Mr. Jerry Elliot and his ilk inspire me.

Just my 2 cents here. Am 63 years old (young). Last year my buddy that was 82 at the time and I, left Monday morning at 7:09 and rolled into Salt Lake City late Wednesday afternoon to the fairgrounds for the national rally. Enjoyed the rally, left Sunday morning for home, he had a flat in Grand Island, that delayed the trip, rented a car to make the trip to Omaha to have a new tire mounted, got back on the rode the next day, he rode home and i rode to Little Rock, to see my son and his family, then on home by Saturday evening. He has decided over the winter to purchase a Can Am spyder due to strength issues associated with 20 years in the Air Force, as well as an upcoming birthday of 83, Lots of knowledge in our senior citizens, well some of them, lol Enjoy the forum, safe riding to All....

Just some thoughts

Hi Doug, I like you was thinking of letting my membership expire a couple of months ago. I'm 70 years old and I don't ride the RS as much as I used to and don't care much for the new bikes. But, I still like to ride and be mobile.

I have been riding my scooter mostly for the past 3 years and can go just about anywhere I want.
Consider getting a 400cc-650cc scooter; they are not much lighter but the center of gravity is lower and much easier to roll around. And the ease factor is there; just twist the throttle and go.

I ended up renewing my membership, not because of BMW but because of the people on this forum. I don't post much, but I do lurk and have learned much from the members young and old. Some are like old friends that I've never even met and I'm not ready to let them go. I hope you stay and member and share old age riding experiences.

dwb

It is a wise man who knows when it is time to give up something they love; it takes strength of character and honest introspection. Your years of great experiences from riding and memories of the many friends you made along the miles will always remain with you and your life is richer for having the experience. Good luck to you as you focus your time and talents on this next phase of your life.

DesertBob

Back