• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Saying Goodbye

BCKRider

Kbiker
Last fall I sold my bike which I didn't ride during the 2017 season. At the end of March my membership in the MOA expires and I will not be renewing it.

I was in my late 40's when I first rode a motorcycle. It was a challenge which I am glad that I undertook. With a couple courses, a lot of reading, and some practice I became a moderately good rider. Had two crashes - the first I still don't understand, and the second a collision caused by another BMW rider on the Beartooth Pass when he encountered sand in the only passing lane on the whole highway. That crash totaled my K75 and lead to the purchase of the K100RS. (For K bike lovers, the sale went to a guy who not only paid me a very fair price but also made a number of improvements, including fixing the faulty ABS system! Hope this fine bike stays on the road for many more years.)

So why quit riding, you ask? Well reduced leg strength and balance problems mainly. The last year I did any riding, the scariest part was backing that heavy bike down a platform out of the shed where I couldn't go too slowly - and I once dropped it. Another factor was that a friend I visited a good days ride away twice a year in the Kootenai (back road riding) moved to the Vancouver metropolitan area - which is danger country for me. Friends I used to ride with have moved away. It just seemed that the fun factor of riding was overbalanced by the fear factor - a balance I think all thoughtful riders do weigh.

About the MOA: I've attended a couple of the big rallies and really enjoyed the experience. I think the monthly mag is first rate. But the biggest bang for my subscription buck has to be right here. I've received so much smart advice on my bikes. I also enjoyed some political discussion until it was cut off. I have also enjoyed various discussions about riding safely - something that entered my mind early when I was a late starter in riding. I will probably check in on occasion, but of course will not post after the end of the month. Just wanted to thank all of you who have participated in my on-line life.

Although the factors that have led you to this decision are sound, it must still be difficult to give up a pastime for which you displayed so much passion.

Doug, you will be missed on this Forum.

All the best with the next chapter of your life.

Paul

Doug,

Sorry to see you moving on from this phase of your life, but may the next phase be rewarding.:thumb

You will be missed here.

:dance:dance:dance

Glad you made it through those crashes!!! Thanks for joining us here and on the road. Above, mentioned about this phase of life, which there are many. Glad you enjoyed this one and let the next one be even better.......God bless......Dennis

Doug, I'm sure that was a difficult decision. Best wishes to you on your next chapter of life and thank you for your contributions to the BMWMOA.

Hi Doug, I do wish you well and I can relate to your reasons for giving it up, there just comes a time.

Not necessarily goodbye.

Doug, I myself also sold my last bike (actually about the third "last"bike) this past fall after 50 years of riding. I've will continue to remain a member and I still sift through the forum almost daily. I enjoy the conversations and get a few chuckles reading posts that relate to many of my own experiences both riding and wrenching.
In the words of the immortal Roy Rogers, "Happy trails to you".
Bob Major

It just seemed that the fun factor of riding was overbalanced by the fear factor - a balance I think all thoughtful riders do weigh.

I went through this and dropped out of bike ownership for a couple of years.

Sorry to read that you're leaving us, and hope you will still hang around here. I think you can still post if you're not a member, but someone can correct me if not.

Doug,
I remember one of the mishaps. We were on our way back from Lillooet and I was behind you.
Will miss you at the Campouts. Drop by the house anytime.

Sorry to see you go, but understand your well-stated reasons. You know, if you picked up that Z3/Z4 convertible you’ve always wanted you’d have a great way to still join the crew at rallies...:)
Best,
DG

Stopping the riding is one thing but dropping out of the MOA is quite another. I'd recommend continuing your membership for a few more years at least.

Here's wishing you the very best in whatever becomes your next adventure!

Voni
sMiling

Never say never...I too have/had those reservations and after 50+ years of riding I sold my last bike in March of 2017. I had all the reasons you do; weaker knees, vision not what it use to be, less strength in the 8th decade, questioning my awareness level, my riding buddy (my brother) turning 82 less riding and on and on. Didn't miss it much all summer...than this winter decided I needed a winter project. So now I have a new (to me) 10 year-old RT sitting in the garage. And after much elbow grease and a few parts here and there, it is ready for some 2018 road work. Will I ride it a bunch...who knows. I will ride it, especially since it's there. And my brother...at 82 he just bought a used F800GT. It's a 160 mile trip for us do a halfway meet...so there's that.

Best wishes in making what seems to be a well thought through decision - but never say never.

Last edited:
Doug,

Made the same decision as you last summer, for mostly similar reasons. Though my membership has expired, I find that I can still view and comment on this forum. It’s good to drop in now and then just to see what’s happening. :)

Take care and best of luck with new and different adventures.

Cheers!

Happy Trails!! Sorry to see you go, but may your future trails bring you happiness.

E.

Last edited:
When is it time?

Each rider needs to come to grips with the reality of age and physical limitations, hopefully before a life altering event, a crash. When considering alternatives one should keep an open mind to keep enjoying the "golden years." A BMW Z3/Z4 is definitely a worthwhile alternative. I rode HD and Honda conventional trike conversions, considered a URAL, and finally bought a Spyder F3S. I have decided to maintain my BMWMOA membership. It is made up of a great group of people. Look forward, think positive, and adjust and overcome.

Doug,

Made the same decision as you last summer, for mostly similar reasons. Though my membership has expired, I find that I can still view and comment on this forum. It’s good to drop in now and then just to see what’s happening. :)

Take care and best of luck with new and different adventures.

Cheers!

Hey SeabeckS, I hope your post (or mine) doesn't bar you from occasionally posting a comment. Just tonight the site failed to recognize me with stuff about how as a "guest" I couldn't post. Of course I was able to enter my user name, my password, and as always the "remember me" check box and got in. I think it would be a good thing if former members were able to post - though of course we shouldn't have any of the other benefits of membership.

I do wonder if allowing former members to post is standard practice or just an oversight in your case. Probably a mod will at some point read this and let us know.

Thanks to all of you who have responded with such understanding. This really is a great community.

Back