• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Road to Des Moines

When we go back to the New England states we like to go through SW Wisconsin, then the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and cross at Sault Ste. Marie.
This route avoids major highways and large cities.

A more direct route is crossing at Port Huron and taking one of the ferries at Muskegon or Ludington to cross Lake Michigan.

Either route will let you enjoy some back roads in SW Wisconsin and roads near the Mississippi in NE Iowa, SE Minnesota.

I haven't worked out the exact roads yet but I am leaving London and heading north over Superior, staying in Winnipeg for a couple of days and then should be able to find some back roads south to Des Moines.

T.O. to Des Moine

I was thinking similar to Paul. But going by highway one way, North around Superior via Duluth the other. I just haven't decided which order to do it in though. I would prefer the scenic route both ways but I don't know that I have time for that unfortunately. I did the south side of Superior a few years ago and it was a really nice ride. The Great Lakes shipwreck museum near Whitefish point is worth a visit.

I was thinking similar to Paul. But going by highway one way, North around Superior via Duluth the other. I just haven't decided which order to do it in though. I would prefer the scenic route both ways but I don't know that I have time for that unfortunately. I did the south side of Superior a few years ago and it was a really nice ride. The Great Lakes shipwreck museum near Whitefish point is worth a visit.

That will make a nice round trip route. We did the Lake Superior Circle Tour last year and enjoyed all the lighthouses and waterfalls.

Those are some great suggestions. Be on the look out for other ride suggestions as they start becoming available on the Rally page of the website. I am also working with a great company to develop some rides to the rally as well as ride challenges while in the Iowa area. More details to come as I know them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I need to start planning. Actually, I have started - I do have a route selected on Streets and Trips.

I'll print up some maps that I can put in the map window of my tank bag. My usual method of navigating is "town to town." I'll pick a town I want to go through and then select a restaurant or other place in or near that town as a waypoint type destination and let the Nav V get me close. I let the Nav system do it's thing but I'll decide (hopefully) on the route. I'll select the route ahead of time and use the town waypoints as a means of sticking to my chosen route.

The main thing is that I will avoid the Chicago area at all costs...

Route

Not coming via Canada as I live near St. Louis but Des Moines is about 200 miles north and 166 miles west of my house will go on a diagonal to cut some miles, I don't have enough Evel Knievel in me to cross Mississippi River with out a bridge or ferry, so diagonal has to hit Hardin, Illinois (ferry) or Louisiana, Mo., Hannibal/ I72, Quincy,or keokuk, Ia. for a bridge. Thinking keokuk than follow the Des Moines river to Des Moines, might get messed up but plan is to go NW without going more than 200 miles north or 166 west. :scratch

When we go back to the New England states we like to go through SW Wisconsin, then the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and cross at Sault Ste. Marie.
This route avoids major highways and large cities.

A more direct route is crossing at Port Huron and taking one of the ferries at Muskegon or Ludington to cross Lake Michigan.

Either route will let you enjoy some back roads in SW Wisconsin and roads near the Mississippi in NE Iowa, SE Minnesota.

I'm coming from a different direction, but if you follow this link my route from Ludington (via the SS Badger) sounds a lot like what Lee suggested. It meanders through the Kettle Moraine region of Wisconsin, then the Driftless region of Wisconsin and NE Iowa, wanders down to Amish Country then up thru the Amana Colonies before heading to the rally via the town of Pella

http://travelswithbarley.com/glenlivet-starting-from-scratch/2018-preparing-for-the-des-moines-rally/

Thinking keokuk than follow the Des Moines river to Des Moines, might get messed up but plan is to go NW without going more than 200 miles north or 166 west. :scratch

This will take you near the old river towns of Bonapart, Bentonsport and Keosauqua, then Eldon where you can see the American Gothic House.
You'll also pass through Pella which is a nice little Dutch town.

Back