• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K1200S Front Suspension Dilemma

BC1100S

Left Coast Rider
OK, maybe not a dilemma but a decision I have to make.

The front shock on my bike seems to have known better days. Its got 40k miles on it and, while I'm not totally unhappy with how it works, I know it could be better. I've been noodling about whether or not to replace it. For around $800 (including shipping) I can have EPM Suspension move my old ESA actuator onto a new Hyperpro shock. This would involve me dismantling the front end of my bike and not having it available to me for about 3 weeks while the shocks travel back and forth between New Jersey and Vancouver, BC. The riding season has just started and I've got a tonne of rides planned.

Alternative: My dealer has just advised me they have a brand spanking new shock with spring and ESA actuator which they'll sell me for $475.

So, to weigh out the pros and cons:

Hyperpro: More money, more downtime, overall better shock absorber.
Stock: Less money, no downtime, not as good a shock.

What say you, o' learned ones?

Disclaimer: The writer retains the right to reject, deride, ridicule, or accept with thanks any suggestions made.

$475 Canadian vs $800 US.
Was the original (now worn) shock so bad you were really unhappy with it?
Using your local dealer you get your bike back quickly with warranty on shock and work.
I'd be inclined to go local.
Just my 2 Canadian cents.

If the current OEM unit isn’t driving you nuts, then in your case I’d pop the $475 for another OEM unit and ride on. You can always move to the HyperPro unit years down the road if you are still on the bike and have worn out the OEM replacement. Just be absolutely sure that before you remove the old unit you start the bike and run suspension settings to one helmet and Comfort—those are your base for doing any swaps.

I have the HyperPro units on my K13GT and have mixed feelings on them. The rear persists in feeling under-damped at low speeds, even after a return trip to Klaus for a settings check, and the front maintains the same harshness as the OEM unit. Still, they are better than my OEM units were they still on the bike.

I’m not impressed by, nor a fan of, the Duo-Lever front suspension system as they all seem harsh to me, so there’s that, FWIW.

Removing shocks is a PITA on these bikes, and if you really want to have fun do both ends at the same time, as I did. Note that there are some $$ bolts that BMW wants you to replace each time they are removed, but at $26 each and given the relatively moderate torque values for those bolts I think the only reason for the replacement call is that the bolts come pre-coated with threadlocker—and I have multiple flavors of that on hand that I can apply. YMMV and follow your own judgement there.

Good luck!
DG

I'm leaning towards the way you're thinking, GTRider. Nice to hear from someone who has experience with the same shock I'm looking at. :thumb

WalterK75, for accurate comparison's sake I've priced both shocks in US dollars. I keep a US dollar account so its not quite as painful when I have to spend money across the border.

Update

I purchased and installed the brand new OEM shock. I am now.....:dance

Thanks again for your input / insight. :thumb

Back