• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2018 – The Current State of K75/K100 Driveshaft and Final Drive Splines - Repair?

drneo66

Warning!! This thread contains graphic pictures that may not be suitable for all K-bike loving individuals.

As I attempt to find a suitable (and reasonable $) repair for the splines on a K75RT driveshaft/final drive, I’ve come across a lot of older information, so I thought I’d give a current update of where we are today (3/14/2018). Please let me know if I have missed anything!!

Brand new OEM:
Buy a new driveshaft (~$365) and a final drive (~$824) from BMW

Repair:
Hansen’s BMW in Medford, OR - they repair the final drive only. The base price for new pinion shaft splines ONLY is $220 if you do some disassembly work. On an older final drive (above 30k or so), they will also replace the pinion gear and seals. They also sell a brand new BMW driveshaft with a 2-year warranty (~$330 for driveshaft because of 10% discount w/drive repair).
Side note: Craig (proprietor of Hansen's) also said that he accepts final drives from BMW and Independent Shops, so if you don't want to tackle it yourself, you can have someone else do the dirty work for you. He tries to get them back out of the shop in 2 weeks or so.

Bombers Beemers in Durham, NC
They offer a full rebuild of the final drive with new pinion shaft spline, new drive shaft, clean and reseal. ($989.95 with 1yr/12k warranty - it is noted that the metal in the new drive shaft splines are supposedly better quality than original)

Used:
Check the MOA Market place, iBMWR, or eBay
Check your local swap meet or motorcycle parts breaker
**I’ve noticed that the quality on eBay has not been the best, as most are used parts with significant wear. You can see that some eBay sellers deliberately choose not to show the actual splines, in an effort to hide their poor condition!!**

Other repairs:
MachineService in WI - They only repair the u-joint on the drive shaft, which isn’t generally a problem on the K75/K100
Oshmo in Van Nuys, CA and Hendersen Precision in Big Oak Flat, CA - Seem to only repair /5 /6 /7 model final drives or u-joints in R100's
Motobins.co.uk Driveshaft repair - If you're in the UK, you're in luck, they will repair your driveshaft! If you outside of the UK, they will sell you the "collar" (~$77) which contains the new drive splines, but you would need to source a machinist to remove the old splines and add the new Motobins splines.

Old places no longer providing new/repairs:

Brand new:
Ted Porter’s Beemershop and Bombers Beemers sold the Emerald Island (EI) rebuildable driveshaft, but they are backordered for redesign (no known date of when that will be)

Repairs
Bruno’s Repair in Canada (closed down last year)

Side note:
Grease that no longer is made for lubing the splines:
- Honda Moly 60
- Guard Dog Moly grease

Please don't post any "I have a drive shaft for sale" replies here - that's what the market place is for :)

Last edited:
Spline repair

Warning!! This thread contains graphic pictures that may not be suitable for all K-bike loving individuals.

As I attempt to find a suitable (and reasonable $) repair for the splines on a K75RT driveshaft/final drive, I’ve come across a lot of older information, so I thought I’d give a current update of where we are today (3/14/2018). Please let me know if I have missed anything!!

Brand new OEM:
Buy a new driveshaft (~$365) and a final drive (~$824) from BMW

Repair:
Hansen’s BMW in Medford, OR - they repair the final drive only. The base price for new pinion shaft splines ONLY is $220 if you do some disassembly work. On an older final drive (above 30k or so), they will also replace the pinion gear and seals. They also sell a brand new BMW driveshaft with a 2-year warranty (~$330 for driveshaft because of 10% discount w/drive repair).
Side note: Craig (proprietor of Hansen's) also said that he accepts final drives from BMW and Independent Shops, so if you don't want to tackle it yourself, you can have someone else do the dirty work for you. He tries to get them back out of the shop in 2 weeks or so.

Bombers Beemers in Durham, NC
They offer a full rebuild of the final drive with new pinion shaft spline, new drive shaft, clean and reseal. ($989.95 with 1yr/12k warranty - it is noted that the metal in the new drive shaft splines are supposedly better quality than original)

Used:
Check the MOA Market place, iBMWR, or eBay
Check your local swap meet or motorcycle parts breaker
**I’ve noticed that the quality on eBay has not been the best, as most are used parts with significant wear. You can see that some eBay sellers deliberately choose not to show the actual splines, in an effort to hide their poor condition!!**

Other repairs:
MachineService in WI - They only repair the u-joint on the drive shaft, which isn’t generally a problem on the K75/K100
Oshmo in Van Nuys, CA and Hendersen Precision in Big Oak Flat, CA - Seem to only repair /5 /6 /7 model final drives or u-joints in R100's
Motobins.co.uk Driveshaft repair - If you're in the UK, you're in luck, they will repair your driveshaft! If you outside of the UK, they will sell you the "collar" (~$77) which contains the new drive splines, but you would need to source a machinist to remove the old splines and add the new Motobins splines.

Old places no longer providing new/repairs:

Brand new:
Ted Porter’s Beemershop and Bombers Beemers sold the Emerald Island (EI) rebuildable driveshaft, but they are backordered for redesign (no known date of when that will be)

Repairs
Bruno’s Repair in Canada (closed down last year)

Side note:
Grease that no longer is made for lubing the splines:
- Honda Moly 60
- Guard Dog Moly grease

Please don't post any "I have a drive shaft for sale" replies here - that's what the market place is for :)

I purchased the spline "ends " from Moto-bins. My neighbor cut off the old ( worn-out ) spline ends in the lathe and welded the new parts to the old shaft, ( they just slide in ) Any good machine shop should be able to do this for a moderate price. As a side note. Moto-bins offer an exchange in Britain only, buy will send you the new adapters ( spline ends ) They were about 55 pounds sterling plus shipping. I have done 2 so far. The quality seems very good.

I too purchased a couple ends from Moto bins. I found the quality lacking. They are a loose fit compared to stock. They also do not appear to be hardened.

They are definitely better than a worn shaft, but not as good as a new shaft from BMW. How long it will last and what kind of wear it will promote on the final drive is not clear.:dunno

:dance:dance:dance

Back