Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Heated Gear

Quote Originally Posted by GotFog View Post
    It seems odd that snowmobile riders tolerate far more serious cold than the average motorcycle rider ever will. Yet both ride fairly similar open cockpit style machines. The chasm between the two is not as wide as first seems. I think the gap is closing rapidly and once the cold mindset is broken, a whole new avenue to explore opens. I personally love riding cold weather. Appropriate gear and mindset is all it takes.
    I was raised in North Dakota. I will NEVER go back in the winter. Humans ought not voluntarily subject themselves to this climactic nonsense. Snow machine riders are simply trying to enjoy that which is ridiculous. May God (take your pick of your own God) have mercy on their poor pathetic souls.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I was raised in North Dakota. I will NEVER go back in the winter. Humans ought not voluntarily subject themselves to this climactic nonsense. Snow machine riders are simply trying to enjoy that which is ridiculous. May God (take your pick of your own God) have mercy on their poor pathetic souls.
    I hear you. Sometimes we head North for the Holidays, and I spend the bulk of my time shivering. I have lost the cold tolerance from my youth. Yet, something really exhilarating about ultra cold air! It tells you that you are painfully alive.

My preference is Warm&Safe - after my last Gerbing gave me 2nd degree burns on my back when an internal connection failed. I've also found Warm&Safe is willing to do some customization - at no cost. I have been using their HeatTrollers for a long time, and needed some custom lead-lengths for my current bike installation (built into the bike one..) - wasn't a problem. I have always been pleased with their customer service - it ranks with Aerostich and Schuberth for customer focus. They also offer a trade-in program for their older gear, and anyone elses heated gear - $50 off trade-in for the burning Gerbing was a nice bonus.

BTW - as far as needing heated gear? I've worn it in almost every month of the year. I've done a number of coast-to-coast-to-coast rides, typically late May into late June - and have brought along and used both my heated gear and my evaporative vest - sometimes used both in the same day (going from a hot Central Valley in CA up into the Sierra-Nevada mountains.. temps from 95F to 32F in the distance of one tank of fuel.)
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

Get a jacket liner! My Widder vest, worn for one season, sits in the closet, probably never to be worn again.

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post

Oh come on, it's not that bad! I think you miss it.

It's probably the reason for this....

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 11.07.28 AM.png
Views: 129
Size:  88.2 KB

No question... full jacket, Warm n' Safe brand, wireless heat controller. You won't regret it.

3 Red Bricks
    Never heard of anyone going FROM a jacket liner TO a vest and telling anyone how much happier they were. Can't be said for the other way around.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_h View Post

I'm thinking about buying a heated jacket liner and am debating between a vest and liner with sleeves.
    What are you wearing now? If textile, I'd recommend leather as next step toward warmer gear.
    2016 R 1200 R
    Previous: 2016 F 700 GS
    2006 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom
    1973 Suzuki TS185K