• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mechanical repair recommendations, hints and tricks.

Get decent tools. Crap is crud! Don't be the cheapest thing on a BMW.

For sure ... and ...

Those tools should include the factory service manual.

And if you're lucky, a fellow BMW club member that's an engineer.

And a healthy respect for technician training.

Don't be ashamed, embarrassed, or afraid to ask what is to you a dumb question. No such thing as that because YOU need the answer and probably out of 30 people there will be 3 or 4 wondering the same thing. Ignore the folks who come out and advise you that that is a dumb question or laugh at you. They are just so ignorant and ashamed to admit it.............God bless....Dennis

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.............A good example: /5 centrifugal advance nut used to turn the engine over.......How did that nut twist off.

and just so it's clear to those unfamiliar ... DO NOT try to rotate the engine using the centrifugal advance nut.

WITH THE SPARK PLUGS REMOVED, use a 6mm Allen wrench in the ALTERNATOR bolt to rotate the engine. I find it easier than using the kick starter, but you have to remove the front cover (battery disconnected first)).

valve3.JPG
photo: Duane Ausherman (modified)

True, but Unobtanium

:lurk
The really useful tips often have no technical content. Some I’ve collected over the years from techs I’ve known...

1. Every mechanical task, regardless of how much it looks like the last identical task you did, will be different in some way. Sometimes a good way, sometimes not.

2. It is far easier, faster, and more enjoyable to read manuals, research the web, or query forums *before* undertaking a task than it is to read manuals, surf the web, or query forums in an effort to figure out how to recover from whatever was botched in a poorly-researched task.

3. The British axiom that “any tool can be a hammer, but a screwdriver makes the best chisel” should not be in play when working on fine German equipment.

4. Factory service manuals are incredibly cheap, regardless of the price.

5. Factory special-service tools are designed A)to make a service task go correctly and accurately and B)to make a service task go more quickly and profitably. When attempting to fabricate or jerry-rig a substitute make sure your focus is on A and not B. When in doubt, buy the factory tool or farm the job out.

6. Never be afraid to admit that a job is beyond your skills, knowledge, or resources and do the right thing—go for a nice ride on your other bike while your faithful service technician handles the job. Sometimes, donuts and coffee for the shop lead can be the best factory service tool available.

7. The bigger the botch you’ve done on the service task you attempted, the longer the coffee break you should take before returning to the garage.

:)
Tongue firmly in cheek,
DG

However, for the newer bikes Factory Manuals are near-unobtainium. And the electronic versions are difficult (impossible so far, but still trying) to re-load once lost from a computer.

As others have said descent tools are a must
I’ve found Home Depot husky professional tools are made in USA by Proto (polished)
Ace hardware has has some ratcheting box wrenches, that are a lifesaver
Proto sockets and wrenches
Snap on screw drivers
Craftsman torque wrenches
Crows feet wrenches are craftsman
Any tool seldom used i’ll Buy the cheapest
All said my collection will NOT break the bank, and have served me well for many years

How is everybody doing on making tools? I have recently found a leaking fuel return line on my Cummins equipped Dodge. One of the "banjo" fittings is on the back of the head and looks like the best access is through the CD player :scratch
Once I obtain the parts, including spares as this looks like it has to be done by feel, I will have to make something special.....At least that is what it's looking like.
OM

How is everybody doing on making tools? I have recently found a leaking fuel return line on my Cummins equipped Dodge. One of the "banjo" fittings is on the back of the head and looks like the best access is through the CD player :scratch
Once I obtain the parts, including spares as this looks like it has to be done by feel, I will have to make something special.....At least that is what it's looking like.
OM

I have a couple drawers full of home made and modified tools that I've needed over the many years I've been working on bikes and cars. Quite a few BMW ones in there.

However, for the newer bikes Factory Manuals are near-unobtainium. And the electronic versions are difficult (impossible so far, but still trying) to re-load once lost from a computer.

I took a quick look on the Max BMW website and found the following manuals available, just as a quick check on what's out there-

01 59 8 559 607 R1200GS 2010-13 $111.04
01 59 8 559 606 R1200RT 2010-13 $111.04
01 59 8 555 666 R1200RTW $111.04
01 59 8 555 666 R1200GSW ADV $111.04
01 59 8 569 005 R1200RS $111.04
01 59 8 559 605 R Nine T $111.04
01 59 8 559 166 K1600GT $111.04
01 59 8 569 004 S1000RR 15 $111.04
01 59 8 569 004 S1000XR $111.04
01 59 8 559 609 F800GT $111.04

Formatting gets a bit messed up when pasted here, but oh well. Some of the very newest bikes (K1600 Bagger, K1600 GTL 17, etc.) do not yet have repair DVDs listed. I suspect that may just be because the updated info hasn't been incorporated into the shipping DVDs yet and BMW won't release the DVDs for sale until the updates are included. I find the DVDs very easy to use and what I like best about them is I can print off the exact pages and specs I need for the job I'm about to do, and consider those pages disposable so I don't care if they get greasy or otherwise damaged. The DVD sits safely on the shelf in my office and a backup ISO image of the disk is on my garage computer, along with a free piece of software that mounts the ISO image so it appears to be a DVD inserted into the computer. The old, old versions of electronic repair manuals--the ETK stuff--could indeed be a pain to install or re-install, but the service DVDs are a pleasure to work with IMHO. HTH,

Best,
DG

For one of the manuals, I found the following note:

Please note: DVD repair manuals are PC based. They are not Mac compatible unless you have a Windows OS running "in parallel" on your Apple computer.
Yeah, it’s been a problem Kurt. It’s good for the Members to know :thumb
I still like Apple, not sure I want to “infect” it. :deal
Gary

Well, it seems that things are getting harder to work on. I remember back in the day what a wonderful find an impact driver was when I was working on my Honda's. Those pesky Phillips (JIS) screws never wanted to come put with just a screwdriver.
There is a lot of mechanical talent and experience here on the forum, I was wondering if we could have a thread that could feature those tricks. From rewiring an HES to custom blends of penetrating fluid to the best way(s) to get the proper amount of lube back into a final drive- let's hear about it :ear
It could be as simple as a post or a direction to a thread that saved the day for you.
No sense all this great information fading away. :gerg
Gary

Getting back the original question,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I say yes.

The question is one of organization in and outside the already listed topics.

E.

Last edited:
The most important fact to remember. If there is a problem; and if any recent work has been done to the bike; then return to those last things done to look for the problem! You will find the problem maybe as much as 90% of the time!!

There is a lot of mechanical talent and experience here on the forum, I was wondering if we could have a thread that could feature those tricks. From rewiring an HES to custom blends of penetrating fluid to the best way(s) to get the proper amount of lube back into a final drive- let's hear about it :ear
It could be as simple as a post or a direction to a thread that saved the day for you.
No sense all this great information fading away. :gerg
Gary

I remain convinced the best magazines or forums feature a contributor who is a professional technician for the brand. For that, see http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php

Better still is just visiting your local dealer, but nevertheless still better than just about any forum are local BMW club members ... so many BMW clubs have a real guru on hand, and the lucky ones have real engineers contributing. Somebody in the club probably has some of the special tools and clubs can of course elect to direct some of their dues, rally profits, etc., toward purchasing some of the tools.

Being a lone wolf with nothing but manuals and a forum for resources is a choice. It's not the best choice.

OSX Users Marooned

Are the DVD’s still “Windoze” only?
OM

Had the same question. I have the DVD that came with my 2010 K1300S when I bought it (pre-owned) and it's Windows-only. I suspect there is no OSX version but am exploring that. I don't want to wrestle with Fusion or other OSX/Windows dual operating system software so may just have to pick up a used Windows-based PC. You need one for the code reading gizmos too, I believe. Microsoft über alles. :mad

Back