Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Mechanical repair recommendations, hints and tricks.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    For one of the manuals, I found the following note:
    Please note: DVD repair manuals are PC based. They are not Mac compatible unless you have a Windows OS running "in parallel" on your Apple computer.

Yeah, it’s been a problem Kurt. It’s good for the Members to know
    I still like Apple, not sure I want to “infect” it.
    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Well, it seems that things are getting harder to work on. I remember back in the day what a wonderful find an impact driver was when I was working on my Honda's. Those pesky Phillips (JIS) screws never wanted to come put with just a screwdriver.
    There is a lot of mechanical talent and experience here on the forum, I was wondering if we could have a thread that could feature those tricks. From rewiring an HES to custom blends of penetrating fluid to the best way(s) to get the proper amount of lube back into a final drive- let's hear about it
    It could be as simple as a post or a direction to a thread that saved the day for you.
    No sense all this great information fading away.
    Gary
    Getting back the original question,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I say yes.

The question is one of organization in and outside the already listed topics.

E.
    Last edited by easy; 03-19-2018 at 02:04 PM.

The most important fact to remember. If there is a problem; and if any recent work has been done to the bike; then return to those last things done to look for the problem! You will find the problem maybe as much as 90% of the time!!
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

There is a lot of mechanical talent and experience here on the forum, I was wondering if we could have a thread that could feature those tricks. From rewiring an HES to custom blends of penetrating fluid to the best way(s) to get the proper amount of lube back into a final drive- let's hear about it
    It could be as simple as a post or a direction to a thread that saved the day for you.
    No sense all this great information fading away.
    Gary
    I remain convinced the best magazines or forums feature a contributor who is a professional technician for the brand. For that, see http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php

Better still is just visiting your local dealer, but nevertheless still better than just about any forum are local BMW club members ... so many BMW clubs have a real guru on hand, and the lucky ones have real engineers contributing. Somebody in the club probably has some of the special tools and clubs can of course elect to direct some of their dues, rally profits, etc., toward purchasing some of the tools.

Being a lone wolf with nothing but manuals and a forum for resources is a choice. It's not the best choice.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

OSX Users Marooned

Are the DVD’s still “Windoze” only?
    OM

Had the same question. I have the DVD that came with my 2010 K1300S when I bought it (pre-owned) and it's Windows-only. I suspect there is no OSX version but am exploring that. I don't want to wrestle with Fusion or other OSX/Windows dual operating system software so may just have to pick up a used Windows-based PC. You need one for the code reading gizmos too, I believe. Microsoft über alles.
    "Soló el que ensaya lo absurdo es capaz de conquistar lo imposible." Miguel de Unamuno 1905

Mark - Las Cruces, NM - '10 K1300S and '17 R1200 GSA