Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mechanical repair recommendations, hints and tricks.

Vessel?

Quote Originally Posted by lmo1131 View Post
    ditto. I still have my "Vessel" somewhere in the shop.
    True, but the chalice from the palace holds the brew that is true!
    Boxerbruce

Without turning this into an oil or filter or best tool thread, a good wrench starts out with the no assumptions, pays attention to intuition and a good sidekick is recording every step of the process.

I will give you a great example of making assumptions, ignoring intuition and forgetting to pay attention to little details.

I am Dieselyoda. A nickname I think is well deserved except for the other day when nickname should have been Wtfdoofus.

I had a loader come in with a CAPS fuel system problem. I automatically assumed it was the pump. A $10k pump. Parts, my labour, out the door for $13k as it usually is the last 30 or 60 times with that particular complaint.

Nope, no run, no smoke out the pipe, change the charge pump, another $1.2K and nope, nothing, nada, fuel system is putting out as much as a girl on her first date.

Turns out, and this will make beg others to chime in, I forgot to check the fuses.

A good wrench with all the tricks and tools starts simple.
    1997 R1100RT, 1981 KZ 440 LTD, R80RT, R90/6 sidecar, K1100RS,1983 K100RS (Cafe now)

“The major civilizing force in the world is not religion, it is sex.”

Get decent tools. Crap is crud! Don't be the cheapest thing on a BMW.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    I have what I like to call “The fresh eyes” theory. When working on something that seems incredibly simple, but not going well, have another set of eyes 👀 on it. I find it works wonders.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselyoda View Post
    Turns out, and this will make beg others to chime in, I forgot to check the fuses.
    Don't feel badly. I took my sporty car to my dealer when the orange "You Have An Issue" light came on. An hour's labour later he tells me, "You need a new dual homogifier or you could 'blow your transmission'. It'll cost about $485 plus tax and labour." Alrighty then...

I take the car home and decide to pop open the fuse box. There, staring me in the face, was a blown fuse. Replaced it with the spare that was one of three thoughtfully provided by the manufacturer in the fusebox and, voila, no orange light of death. Went back to the dealer and spoke with the service manager. "Oh, really? I'll have a word with the technician and call you back." Still waiting for that call.

I've changed dealers.

Apologies for the thread derail.

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Get decent tools. Crap is crud! Don't be the cheapest thing on a BMW.
    For sure ... and ...

Those tools should include the factory service manual.

And if you're lucky, a fellow BMW club member that's an engineer.

And a healthy respect for technician training.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Don't be ashamed, embarrassed, or afraid to ask what is to you a dumb question. No such thing as that because YOU need the answer and probably out of 30 people there will be 3 or 4 wondering the same thing. Ignore the folks who come out and advise you that that is a dumb question or laugh at you. They are just so ignorant and ashamed to admit it.............God bless....Dennis

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.............A good example: /5 centrifugal advance nut used to turn the engine over.......How did that nut twist off.
    and just so it's clear to those unfamiliar ... DO NOT try to rotate the engine using the centrifugal advance nut.

WITH THE SPARK PLUGS REMOVED, use a 6mm Allen wrench in the ALTERNATOR bolt to rotate the engine. I find it easier than using the kick starter, but you have to remove the front cover (battery disconnected first)).

valve3.JPG
    photo: Duane Ausherman (modified)
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden
    Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner
    1963 Dnepr

True, but Unobtanium

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post

The really useful tips often have no technical content. Some I’ve collected over the years from techs I’ve known...

1. Every mechanical task, regardless of how much it looks like the last identical task you did, will be different in some way. Sometimes a good way, sometimes not.

2. It is far easier, faster, and more enjoyable to read manuals, research the web, or query forums *before* undertaking a task than it is to read manuals, surf the web, or query forums in an effort to figure out how to recover from whatever was botched in a poorly-researched task.

3. The British axiom that “any tool can be a hammer, but a screwdriver makes the best chisel” should not be in play when working on fine German equipment.

4. Factory service manuals are incredibly cheap, regardless of the price.

5. Factory special-service tools are designed A)to make a service task go correctly and accurately and B)to make a service task go more quickly and profitably. When attempting to fabricate or jerry-rig a substitute make sure your focus is on A and not B. When in doubt, buy the factory tool or farm the job out.

6. Never be afraid to admit that a job is beyond your skills, knowledge, or resources and do the right thing—go for a nice ride on your other bike while your faithful service technician handles the job. Sometimes, donuts and coffee for the shop lead can be the best factory service tool available.

7. The bigger the botch you’ve done on the service task you attempted, the longer the coffee break you should take before returning to the garage.

Tongue firmly in cheek,
    DG

However, for the newer bikes Factory Manuals are near-unobtainium. And the electronic versions are difficult (impossible so far, but still trying) to re-load once lost from a computer.

As others have said descent tools are a must
    I’ve found Home Depot husky professional tools are made in USA by Proto (polished)
    Ace hardware has has some ratcheting box wrenches, that are a lifesaver
    Proto sockets and wrenches
    Snap on screw drivers
    Craftsman torque wrenches
    Crows feet wrenches are craftsman
    Any tool seldom used i’ll Buy the cheapest
    All said my collection will NOT break the bank, and have served me well for many years

How is everybody doing on making tools? I have recently found a leaking fuel return line on my Cummins equipped Dodge. One of the "banjo" fittings is on the back of the head and looks like the best access is through the CD player
    Once I obtain the parts, including spares as this looks like it has to be done by feel, I will have to make something special.....At least that is what it's looking like.
    OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    How is everybody doing on making tools? I have recently found a leaking fuel return line on my Cummins equipped Dodge. One of the "banjo" fittings is on the back of the head and looks like the best access is through the CD player
    Once I obtain the parts, including spares as this looks like it has to be done by feel, I will have to make something special.....At least that is what it's looking like.
    OM
    I have a couple drawers full of home made and modified tools that I've needed over the many years I've been working on bikes and cars. Quite a few BMW ones in there.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

Quote Originally Posted by bikeflyer View Post
    However, for the newer bikes Factory Manuals are near-unobtainium. And the electronic versions are difficult (impossible so far, but still trying) to re-load once lost from a computer.
    I took a quick look on the Max BMW website and found the following manuals available, just as a quick check on what's out there-

01 59 8 559 607 R1200GS 2010-13 $111.04
    01 59 8 559 606 R1200RT 2010-13 $111.04
    01 59 8 555 666 R1200RTW $111.04
    01 59 8 555 666 R1200GSW ADV $111.04
    01 59 8 569 005 R1200RS $111.04
    01 59 8 559 605 R Nine T $111.04
    01 59 8 559 166 K1600GT $111.04
    01 59 8 569 004 S1000RR 15 $111.04
    01 59 8 569 004 S1000XR $111.04
    01 59 8 559 609 F800GT $111.04

Formatting gets a bit messed up when pasted here, but oh well. Some of the very newest bikes (K1600 Bagger, K1600 GTL 17, etc.) do not yet have repair DVDs listed. I suspect that may just be because the updated info hasn't been incorporated into the shipping DVDs yet and BMW won't release the DVDs for sale until the updates are included. I find the DVDs very easy to use and what I like best about them is I can print off the exact pages and specs I need for the job I'm about to do, and consider those pages disposable so I don't care if they get greasy or otherwise damaged. The DVD sits safely on the shelf in my office and a backup ISO image of the disk is on my garage computer, along with a free piece of software that mounts the ISO image so it appears to be a DVD inserted into the computer. The old, old versions of electronic repair manuals--the ETK stuff--could indeed be a pain to install or re-install, but the service DVDs are a pleasure to work with IMHO. HTH,

Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S PD — 1993 R100GS — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Are the DVD’s still “Windoze” only?
    OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Are the DVD’s still “Windoze” only?
    OM
    For one of the manuals, I found the following note:

Please note: DVD repair manuals are PC based. They are not Mac compatible unless you have a Windows OS running "in parallel" on your Apple computer.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!