• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Rear Brake - 2000 R1100RS

mhallman

The other day I noticed my back brake was a bit spongy on my ride in to work (at 6:30 a.m. and 23 degrees, it didn't strike me as too bad). On my way home, the sponginess seemed more pronounced. Obviously I switched to primarily using the front brake. I bled the brakes in June and everything has been working fine since - this came out of the blue. I checked around the brake line (original) for a pinhole leak and couldn't find one. The fluid level is still good. When I initially put pressure on the back brake it still gets some purchase, but then continues to depress further. Pumping the brakes helps. ABS lights show no problems.

Any suggestions would be a big help. Thanks in advance.

Separate question: I'm liking the idea of changing out the brake lines for Spiegler lines. On their website, it states the lines are for non-ABS bikes (which mine has). Is this actually an issue? It said the lines were good for my make and model...

Spiegler will have the lines for bikes with and without ABS. ABS requires more lines. They will also make variations in length if you happen to install bar backs or other handlebar mods.
When I installed bar backs after I installed a new set a lines about a month before, I just advised them which line had to be longer and by how much and they supplied exactly what was needed.

I would replace the OEM lines before the riding season starts, just for safety's sake, they may be swelling internally causing the sponginess. You mentioned you bled the system in June, seems any trapped air would have made it's way out by now. The only other time I have experienced this condition was when fluid was being pushed past the seal on the master cylinder due to pitting.

I would start with the lines since that is a must do mod, then see if the issue goes away or persists.

Replace those lines before you injure yourself!

The OE rubber brake lines on R,K,F model years '93 -04 have known failure issues.
They either suddenly balloon on hard braking causing 100% loss of brakes and/or the interior deteriorates clogging banjo fittings causing the calipers to lock up as well as causing issues within the ABS module.

You choice of Spiegler lines is a good one. In the 30+ sets I have installed I've never had any issues. I use their product exclusively. I really like the fact that the banjos are indexable.
When ordering advise them if you have any bar risers and the height to determine front master line length.

When you order from Spiegler - call them. Give them the part # from the website and tell them what height the risers are.
Typically they add 1-1.5" to the front master line. (at no cost)
Easy peasy.

Just a note: stock length may appear fine with some risers but should be carefully checked when turned full lock.

Back