• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2019 R1250rt?

So.......... were one soon to be in the market for a new boxer, would it behoove one to wait for the new 1250RT? The HP jump from 123-ish to 144-ish makes my heart go pitter pat.

Or............ does one follow the old rule about never buying the first generation of a new motor?

Thoughts, please?

Personally, IF I really wanted more power I'd ditch the two banger and go for 4 or 6 cylinders. No comparison if that's what you're really looking for. I'd much rather see the RT lose some pounds instead... keeping up with the Jones's isn't my thing.

I bought a 2014 first-year R1200RTW. No regrets, though later I did buy a white 2017 RT that I repainted Granada red to match my 1967 R60/2.

I admit that I am up in years, so that affects this thought: I have no need for more than 125 HP in my motorcycle. Indeed, I doubt I have ever used that much power in my RT. In my F-150 and turbo Subaru, yes, I have used more horsepower.

67-&-17.jpg

I admit that I am up in years, so that affects this thought: I have no need for more than 125 HP in my motorcycle. Indeed, I doubt I have ever used that much power in my RT. In my F-150 and turbo Subaru, yes, I have used more horsepower.

Well, I don't drag race from redlight to redlight. However, I do find it handy when I have to pass grandma/grandpa doing 35mph in a 55mph two lane road.

Not sure what you call "up in years". I'm 59 but I DO love my speed. :thumb

Personally I would never buy a first year production of anything. And for sure not a first year BMW motorcycle especially with the change to VVT.

Bigger displacement is no big deal at all and I would have no issues. But the VVT is a significant change to the internals of the motor.

I think a year or two would be advisable on this one but then again who knows. It could be a flawless transition.

All I know is the 1st Gen(14-16) LC are going to take a resale hit, the second Gen LC(17-19) are going to take a resale hit so I will be keeping my 17.5 GS until I get my moneys worth out of it. Otherwise you are going to take a financial blood bath to step up to the 1250 with VVT.

I think BMW can get it right with variable valve timing. It’s not new internal combustion engine technology and one thing the Germans are good at is mechanical engineering. They don’t seem to be as good as Americans at software and integration (think TFT displays) and that’s why they’re having so many problems in that regard. Time will tell but I wouldn’t hesitate to buy the bike if I could afford to do so.

I think BMW can get it right with variable valve timing. It’s not new internal combustion engine technology and one thing the Germans are good at is mechanical engineering. They don’t seem to be as good as Americans at software and integration (think TFT displays) and that’s why they’re having so many problems in that regard. Time will tell but I wouldn’t hesitate to buy the bike if I could afford to do so.

I agree, but I wonder why they don't sub that stuff out? Have some smart Asians build that for them? :thumb

I too have purchased a few first year models including the 2014RT, and then the RS. But the GS had already been out with the wet head for a year, so the engine had already had some minor changes I believe before the RT came out. The RS had no real engine changes. I wonder why they wouldn't do the GS or GSA first again? Not sure I would buy a first year major redesign this drastic. It would really have to have some special upgrades for me to consider that. I'm in the market for a GS or an RT again but the current models are still very nice. Especially the GS with the TFT display.

I think I read that changes in European emissions regulations are pushing BMW to get the updated engines out earlier, so that the new boxer variations have to be released within a much shorter time frame. Makes me think this will be the last year for the camhead R nineT.

I think I read that changes in European emissions regulations are pushing BMW to get the updated engines out earlier, so that the new boxer variations have to be released within a much shorter time frame. Makes me think this will be the last year for the camhead R nineT.
I'm currious as to why they would disapear so soon as bmw did get them certified euro 4 and the next level, euro 5 isn't due until 2020. But then again, moving all their boxers to a single engine makes financial sense.

Back