• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Progressive Insurance

I think dpmonk's bike was covered under "Total Loss" coverage. More common is "Comprehensive" coverage, in which factory-installed options are covered as part of the bike, and dealer- or owner-installed farkles are accessories. Progressive's comprehensive coverage has limits:
LIMITS OF LIABILITY
1. The limit of liability for loss to a covered motorcycle or non-owned motorcycle is the lowest of:
a. the actual cash value of the stolen or damaged property at the time of the loss reduced by the applicable deductible;
b. the amount necessary to replace the stolen or damaged property reduced by the applicable deductible;
c. the amount necessary to repair the damaged property to its pre-loss condition reduced by the applicable deductible; or
d. the Agreed Value shown on the declarations page for that covered motorcycle.

Without special provisions, Progressive typically covers up to $3000 in accessories.

Progressive also offers the optional Total Loss coverage:
INSURING AGREEMENT-TOTAL LOSS COVERAGE
If there is a total loss to a motorcycle shown on the declarations page and you have paid the premium for this coverage, then subsection 1 of the Limits of Liability provision under this Part IV will not apply to that total loss and the following shall apply:
The limit of liability for a motorcycle shown on the declarations page for which Total Loss Coverage has been purchased is as follows:
a. we will pay the Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price of a current model year motorcycle that is the same make and model as the motorcycle for which this coverage is shown on the declarations page.

Being based on the value of the bike at the time of loss, comprehensive would not cover the depreciation that occurs the instant the bike leaves the showroom. The value of the bike is based partly on used bike values, which typically are not affected very much by the cost of factory options. Total Loss could replace a three year old bike with a new one.

For a new bike, where options can easily be 25-30% of the bike's cost, I'd talk to an attorney before accepting a base model as a "Total Loss" replacement. I think an argument could be made that the VIN number on the declarations page defines the model and as such includes all the factory installed options.

Based on the statement above I would interpret the MSRP of the current model year to be the MSRP of the bike as purchased. The sticker not the bike (which I always save) lists an MSRP total for the vehicle I purchased. And that is what I would expect the settlement payment to be based.

OK ... I just read my Progressive policy and feel better as it states"coverage for your motorcycle extends to the vehicle as it comes from the factory. Accessories added by the dealer or an individual are not covered as original equipment by the manufacturer as delivered from the factory". Which is what I thought.

All I can tell you is that GAICO Sucks....

I had a small accident about a year ago. There were no damage to the bike except for a scratch on the crash bar of my 2016 GSA. The heavy bike landed on my leg and broke it.

I did NOT make a claim on my motorcycle insurance since it wasn't worth it because of the very little damage. I did do a claim on my MEDICAL insurance to cover the ambulance, ER, and subsequent treatment of the injury. My MEDICAL insurance reported the accident to GEICO since they were looking to share the expenses of the medical bills with somebody else. GEICO did not pay any of my medical bills since I didn't have medical coverage. So, even though I did not make a claim on my bike nor they pay on any of my medical bills, they still increased my insurance by 20%! I guess I should have made a claim anyways...

Geico

I had Progressive and was over paying by 41%!!!! I switched to Geico. Im now saving the money. When I quit Progressive there reply was, WOW!!! Thats a great deal.......They did not match it.......

Back