• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Moshe Levy's Facebook Posting - New R1250 GS & RT

A R1250RS with 150 HP would be great.

I have a 94RS with 90 hp goes faster than I need and much faster than what deputy dan thinks I need to go
Now if they could make it 90 lb lighter they would have something.

I have a 94RS with 90 hp goes faster than I need and much faster than what deputy dan thinks I need to go
Now if they could make it 90 lb lighter they would have something.

I find it interesting they are using the RT platform as a test mule. Maybe because the need to have and carry so much diagnostic and data gathering equipment?

From all sources I have heard from, the GS was supposed to get this motor first. I wonder if that is still the plan?

I am ok with my new 17.5 GS and while I would like to try this new bike I would not be willing to commit to it for a few years after it has been tested.

I am not sure how I could use 150 HP when 125 HP sometimes scares me to death when I underestimate it.

If anyone wants to see what this motor is really capable of hop on a GT with Endo Pro with ABS and everything else disabled ABS, DTC, Throttle control inputs from ride modes. It is just the motor and you. Wheelies and stoppies and anything else you are capable of, or not capable of, you can do and it is down right scary with no safety nets.

Do not get me wrong if I live long enough I may try one out. I love me some V-Tec from my Honda car so VVT from BMW is going to be very exciting also. However as I age excitement is lower on my list of wants and my 17.5 GS has all I want or need.
I look at things like this announcement and all the excitement I read about getting 25 more horsepower...and I wonder. Actually, I just shake my head. It's like the "old" bike we had is now a piece of junk to be discarded on some unsuspecting fool. I mean, 25 hp is 25 hp.

A little design work to make the bike weigh less would be great. And the only reason we can hope to control 150 hp...is that we have computer aids that actually dial back that marvelous hp to what we can control so we don't wreck the bike getting out of the dealer's parking lot. Take away the computer aids...and you can't begin to use 150 hp.

I find it interesting they are using the RT platform as a test mule. Maybe because the need to have and carry so much diagnostic and data gathering equipment?

From all sources I have heard from, the GS was supposed to get this motor first. I wonder if that is still the plan?

I was surprised to see the RT picture also since the GS usually gets all the good stuff first.
I guess the RT makes a better test mule because it hides most of the engine.

The car ads are touting "the most horsepower in its class". :dunno
I remember the "silly milimeter longer" ads :gerg
Perhaps it's "specksmanship" run amok.
OM

It's pretty easy, just use your right wrist and brain.
True that!

This is one of my pet peeves, why would you ride differently if you had a 150 HP or 200 HP bike? My previous ride, an FJR had close to 150HP, monster torque, no traction control, no nanny electronics whatsoever. And I never crashed or got cited for speeding. Why would a 150 HP bike with full electronics rider aide complement scare you?

When I hear someone say "If I had a 'Busa or a Panigale, I would lose my drivers license in minutes". Why? Does your brain switch off when you ride a sporty bike?

I look at things like this announcement and all the excitement I read about getting 25 more horsepower...and I wonder. Actually, I just shake my head. It's like the "old" bike we had is now a piece of junk to be discarded on some unsuspecting fool. I mean, 25 hp is 25 hp.

Great for us that choose to only buy used motorcycles :)

A little design work to make the bike weigh less would be great. And the only reason we can hope to control 150 hp...is that we have computer aids that actually dial back that marvelous hp to what we can control so we don't wreck the bike getting out of the dealer's parking lot. Take away the computer aids...and you can't begin to use 150 hp.

This was the progression the liquid cooled iteration of the boxer was designed for. Does everyone need more oomph? Maybe not, but it sells. A lighter bike is always a nice wish and the R12 change from the 11xx showed it could happen.

Every bike we have from 30 HP and up is enough for that model, it's up to the operator to use at their own risk. If you need a computer assist to control HP,that is worrisome to me.

My newest BMW is an 09 and haven't made a move to upgrade as it isn't worn out yet, our Airheads are not anywhere near hi-tech and can put one over their head as it is. The KTM 690 Duke raises my heartrate more than my K12S did...very light and 66HP.
I try to plug my brain in and use power available with some form of sanity. Yes, have not always succeded, but mostly so.

Every manufacturer has played the HP and cc game for years. HP sells, look at the 400-500HP cars available to the average consumer these days.
It's just the normal move to the most cutting edge for BMW, it's what they do.

Our K12S, with 163HP came with ABS and nothing else, a very manageable platform when you stay in your skill level.
When H started riding hers, the cavemen we came across, including some in our riding circles, openly said that was way too much bike for a WOMAN:banghead I asked if they had actually ridden close to her or tried to keep up pace...they became silent.

I agree with what you're saying, Steve. I just shake my head regarding horsepower races amongst manufacturers. :scratch I might feel differently if I lived in Montana, or other wide-open places like Arizona, etc. Here in Puget Sound (Seattle), I'm often boxed in by the cars in front of me, to the side of me, and behind me. There's no where to go. And often, you're stuck in a traffic jam anyway. You could have the most powerful motorcycle in the world...and still be crawling along at the same speeds as a Vespa...unless you took the speed limits as meant for everyone but you.

Yes, it is totally possible to control a bike without traction control electronics. But I suspect manufacturers developed their versions of traction control for a reason. I think it was for more than simply having another gee-whiz electronic gizmo owners could point out to their friends.

Bikes that come with some kind of dynamic ABS and traction control, are becoming popular for a reason. IMO, it is because riders realize that they can't keep the bike under control if they don't use it. For example...how many owners turn the traction control off when they ride in rain? Or how many use the rain mode...so they can limit electronically the horsepower that goes to the rear wheel and increase their odds of keeping the bike upright?

Since I never ride much faster than 85mph, I really don't need much more than 60hp to haul me around, even in the mountains.
My old airheads did just fine most of the time and the 1000's ran very well at 70+.
I think it only takes about 20hp or so to maintain 65mph on a bike. Even a 250 Ninja can exceed the speed limit in just about any state.

Personally, I'd rather see engineering work on improving reliability and extending maintenance intervals rather than adding more stuff to maintain and break, but that wouldn't increase profitability so ...

The 650 class bikes are looking better and better every year.

I look at things like this announcement and all the excitement I read about getting 25 more horsepower...and I wonder. Actually, I just shake my head. It's like the "old" bike we had is now a piece of junk to be discarded on some unsuspecting fool. I mean, 25 hp is 25 hp....

Well, one of our members (he might have been on ADVRider) took his stock R1200ST to Bonneville and did runs of 151 and 153 m.p.h. And that's with 110 hp.

But some guys can't have too much power.

Anyway, now I can quit doing the analytics on the purchase of an R1200RS, and just wait for the new model. :D

Back