• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Zero Ohm Resistance Plug Caps

72r60/7

I want to make up Ignition Leads. Do y'all have any leads/suggestions or advice on zero ohm resistance Plug Caps.

Thanks,
Charlie

0 Ohm Options

I like to see and keep up to date with all parts, etc., that are available, so as not to narrow my sources of parts and information. Bench Mark Works has gotten and will continue to receive my business. On this particular Classic, a '57 R60, I want to freshen up the parts that pertain to basic performance, not restoration.

As I have found out with /5's thru /7's and recently with several K75's, most suppliers want too much money for maintenance items (ex. plug wires) we used to put together from local bike shops and automotive parts stores.
One can't deny the convenience of "plug and play" though.

So I found a 100' roll of suitable ignition wire at less than 50 cents a foot. I just finished up a roll from the early Eighties, and was curious as to what folks were doing for "Plug Caps". Not a universal term, as I have learned recently. A 7mm X 100' roll is not cost effective now, but it is not much more than 2-2' leads with caps.

I did learn from the NGK Technical Help person that NGK has a 90 degree, 0 Ohm Cap.
Part # LZFH and STOCK #8381.
Now I will search locally to see who carries NGK brand items. Everyone carries the plugs so they must have access to other NGK items.

I also wonder what else is available. I wonder what the custom car people, off road, performance shops and independent motorcycle shops are using for ignition wires.

Charlie

Last edited:
Charlie -

Glad you found something that you like. For me, it's not worth trying one or more things on my own. I prefer to pay someone a little bit more who has already gone down that road before and stocks things that work. The last thing I want to happen is for the part of sourced myself to fail me down the road. Just a little more peace of mind for me. But YMMV!

My R69S spark plug caps are a cool looking brown bakelite I believe. As I understand it, the original metal shroud caps were very prone to shorting out to the engine. But the brown ones work well and look somewhat vintage. A win-win!!

I just got a set of caps from Vech

I was getting a few last minute items for the R 50S, along with that stuff I got a set of Black plug caps with BMW embossed on the top. I am pretty impressed with the caps and the way they look, they are perfect for my early '55 R50. Decent price and they have a great vintage / antique look to them.

I realize most vintage owners are not after functional like I am. Until the "Original Patina" R60 that I am the Custodian (owner) of, proves worthy of "Period Parts" or any type of "Restoration", I would like to keep the cost down (haven't even started yet) and make the bike a "rider" first. Hence

I did make up ignition wires for this twin for $6 each. (.50 cents a ft and an NGK Plug resistor Cap
for $4-$5)
I did have to buy a roll of ignition wire, so the neighborhood and all my ridding buddies (all 2 of them) will have wire the rest of our lives, to use.

Charlie

Back