• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Noisy Transmission

kenfrancois

2003 R1150RT 125K miles. Transmission has quite a bit of gear noise under light load. Shifts good up or down. No noise when clutch is in. Changed oil with no trash in the oil.

Should I put ear plugs in and ride, or should I be concerned.

Thanks

2003 R1150RT 125K miles. Transmission has quite a bit of gear noise under light load. Shifts good up or down. No noise when clutch is in. Changed oil with no trash in the oil.

Should I put ear plugs in and ride, or should I be concerned.

Thanks

Is this a new noise, or a new to you bike? If it is a bike you have had and the noise is new you have some reason to be concerned. But if it is a new-to-you bike and you are wondering, the good shifting and lack of trash in the oil tell me you should just ride it.

At that mileage you are very likely to be due for a front input shaft bearing. I've replaced quite a few of them around 100,000 miles (this is specific to the 1150-gen 6-speed). On the RT, the drain plug is separate from the magnetic plug, so there may be debris that you are not seeing when you drain the oil.

The bearing is sealed on both sides so you may not see any debris. Also, I have had one case where it was actually the front intermediate shaft bearing instead, although this doesn't really change anything. You still need to get it dealt with if this is indeed the issue. If you are unfamiliar with normal noise, find another R1150RT to compare it to and see what the owner thinks of yours.

Back