• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Heading East to West - Finally Retired

itznuthin

I recently retired and I'm planning a trip west as soon as the weather improves. I'll be starting in western Pennsylvania. I'm not great at navigation, so I would like to pick a road and follow it west. I want to end up in the mountains. I don't plan to go all the way to the coast, but I've never been to the Rockies or in the western mountains on a motorcycle. I've Googled potential roads and have heard that following Route 50 would be a good road to focus on, and I've also heard I could take Route 6 for a more northerly route. Once I pick a road I can reliably follow all the way to the mountains I'll look for side trips to take along the way. I'm trying to minimize traffic and cities to the degree that I can. Does anyone have experience traveling west this way (i.e., picking a primary road as the main path to follow). If so I would greatly appreciate your recommendations. Regards, Don

I think following a single highway will be very limiting. Better to decide on places you wish to see and route yourself to them. Navigation is not that hard. With a inexpensive GPS or smart phone you can find yourself. The worst that can happen is that you get lost. Is that such a bad thing?

Following one road all the way I find to be very interesting. While I haven't followed Rte 50 all the way across, I've gone 1000's of miles on single routes, US11 from NO to NY (state, not city), US411 from AL to Smoky Mtns, US64 from TN to OK (and beyond -- don't remember how far I followed it), US30 from ID to NE, US6, yes, even US50! Remember, when you followUS50, some folks call it "the loneliest road in NV". I've also followed US412 from Central OK to Central TN.

Whatever route you choose, you'll find some interesting places to go with the boring ones!

Me, personally, I prefer to spend the time to piece together a route using the blue highways from a Rand McNally atlas. I find it easy to key in the next city into my NAV 5 and follow the instructions. This method makes it very easy to avoid major cities except when I need to go through one (such as riding into SLC for last year's MOA!)

Have fun, and don't overfun!

I suggest using Google Maps to plot out a route. As others have suggested, plot the route based on what you want to see, not what asphalt you want to look at. Maybe a bad analogy, but I hope you get the point. ;)

I used Google Maps with the Street View. In the lower left corner, you'll see a small map window. Expand that. Click on the sliding toggle to turn on the photos others have uploaded in the area. It'll give you the ability to compare more than one route for the day with what you will see.

Once you determine your route for the day, go over to Bing Maps. There's a way to turn on the gas stations along the route. That may seem like overkill if you're used to riding east of the Rockies. Once you get into the Rockies, you may find it necessary, depending on where you go for the day. I suggest planning stops to ensure you have enough gas. I found on one stretch that I would only be about 70 miles into my tank...but the next portion of the road had no gas stations for over 200 miles. I would've been stopping along the side of the road, trying to pour gas into the tank from a gas can if I hadn't filled up "early".

If you're riding out into big cities or non-touristy areas, you won't have a problem finding a motel in the afternoon. If you're planning to stop somewhere along the way like Yellowstone...you'd better make reservations in the next month or so. The available rooms get taken soon.

Good luck.

Chris

Once you get into South Dakota, you'll hit some "bucket list" roads and sights. I'm sure there are "bucket list" roads east of there. I'm just not familiar with them.
  • Badlands
  • Mt. Rushmore
  • Big Horn mountains
  • Beartooth Pass
  • Yellowstone National Park
  • Lolo Pass - 100 plus miles of twisty road.
  • North Cascades Highway
Wikipedia has a list of National Scenic Byways. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Scenic_Byway It's worth looking through to see how many of those will be near your route.

Another thought. You don't mention when you'll be going. As you head west, you'll start heading up into some high passes. It's a challenge for the clothing you wear. For instance, I rode through Beartooth Pass...a must see. The wind was blowing hard and the temperature was cold. The windchill made it even worse. If you don't have clothes to wear, you'll be miserable and potentially in trouble. Down lower...the temperature was in the high 80s.

The mountain passes are also a challenge for whether you'll hit weather you can't (not won't) ride in. Lolo Pass is down at @5000 feet. Beartooth Pass is up at close to 11,000 feet. Don't underestimate either. The passes in the Oregon/Washington mountains are lower, but they get plenty of snow. Some of our best riding routes don't open till June. You'll want to watch your weather as you head out, and sometimes through the day.

Chris

I took a similar trip last fall right after labor day weekend starting from Michigan. I went up to Michigan's upper peninsula, then followed Rt. 2 west through Minn and ND. I left Rt 2 in ND and went into SD to see Mt. Rushmore. Planned to go into Montana and Glacier National Park but the wildfires prevented that. So I went south to Wyoming, Colorado, Utah and then went back East on a southerly route. On that long ride last fall, I basically got up in the morning, went down for breakfast and opened google maps and decided where I wanted to go for the day. I also got AAA travel guide booklets to check out interesting places along the way. It turned out to be a very satisfying 8200 mile ride.
About a month ago I drove Rt. 50 across the country on my way to California. There's a reason it's called "the loneliest road". Flat and boring. No traffic to speak of with small towns with large grain elevators every 20 miles or so. I wouldn't recommend it.

The Lincoln Highway - US30

on edit: an even better motorcycle touring article.

6034.jpg

It'll take you right past Des Moines! :1drink

Last edited:
I happened upon a discount book at the grocery store a few years ago about the making of the Lincoln Highway. Interesting stuff. We decided to try to ride part of it on our way to the rally in Bend, and quite enjoyed it. We rode it through Utah, spent a night in Ely, NV, then headed through the desert to Carson City and down into Tahoe for a night. Make sure you top up the fuel tank when you can - not much in the way of services through the desert. There'd be a sign that said 'ranch road', but there was nothing but land as far as we could see into the horizon. We encountered one lizard, one prairie dog and 3 bikes along that desert stretch, and not much else.

I did get a picture with one of the copper 'Lincoln Highway' markers along the route, but was disappointed to see that many of them had been stolen over the years.

It may not be for everybody, but we enjoyed it!

Last edited:
A suggestion...

From the perspective of someone who is not a native, but has lived in the west for a while, and done a fair bit of exploring. I see some good suggestions. I'll add:

Pick a route west. When you get to "the end of the route", wherever that may be, head south (if you took a northerly route coming out) or vice versa, several hundred miles, or even more, then head back east on the new route.

I'm chock full of opinions on what to see going either way. I'll spare folks the drivel unless you would like further suggestions. Above all - be safe and ENJOY!!

Marty

Thanks

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the thoughts and tips. I'm looking forward to this trip. My wife is good with it. My dog won't be so happy. Regards, Don

Had a friend who, over the course of several years, followed Rt 50 East to West. Small town America and places you've never heard of. He's still grinning !

Stop in Small Post Offices and send post cards. Especially your former boss. Get them to postmark the card from there too. They should have prepaid postage blank postcards. You'll meet a local or two there also. That's a good place for local info too.

Charlie

Back