• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

stream music from GPS instead of Radio on my GT

ssilliman

Is there a way to bypass the radio and go from my Nav 6 to my Sena?
GPS tells me I have to use radio??
Thanks
Steve

I do it all the time on my K16.
If the GPS is out of the cradle, you will get an error.
Make sure your GPS is paired properly.
1) Clear all pairings
2) Pair bike to helmet.
3) Pair GPS to helmet. Navigate to the media player and enjoy your music.
4) Pair GPS to phone if you want to take and place calls.

Hope this helps.

Joe

I do it all the time on my K16.
If the GPS is out of the cradle, you will get an error.
Make sure your GPS is paired properly.
1) Clear all pairings
2) Pair bike to helmet.
3) Pair GPS to helmet. Navigate to the media player and enjoy your music.
4) Pair GPS to phone if you want to take and place calls.

Hope this helps.

Joe

When I do that I get error on nav 6 saying to use radio?

Sounds like some interface problem.
You might want to give your dealer a call and see what they say.

Maybe someone else can chime in here...

Joe

I may be misunderstanding and the Nav V may operate differently, but with the Nav V I believe the media player is disabled when in the cradle on K16GT. You have to put your media on usb stick and use bike to play it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Isn't technology wonderful. I am astounded at the number of similar problems I read about. We need to get back to the basics in our riding IMHO. Of course, YMMV.

Isn't technology wonderful. I am astounded at the number of similar problems I read about. We need to get back to the basics in our riding IMHO. Of course, YMMV.

I love to ride with music!
when I raced and did track days I listened to music
I don't have to have it just like it
I don't like the radio with usb stick because I have 3000 songs and it plays about 150 over and over and throws in a different one every now and then.
with my nav 5 on my RT I used nav to play music and it played everything on the card

The latest firmware update from Garmin finally allows us to stream our own music to the Sena via the Media Player app in the Nav VI. The previous update allowed us to stream from our phone thru the Nav VI to the Sena. I personally don’t want another device to manage (phone) and I just do not like anything about the BMW audio system. Using the Nav VI for navigation guidance, telephone and media just simplifies my life. As an added benefit the audio quality is much better as well.

Assuming that you have the latest firmware versions installed in both the Nav VI and the Sena 20s:
Remove the Nav VI from the cradle and turn it on. Turn on your Sena 20s and allow it to pair with the Nav VI. Open the Media Player App. On the left margin at the top there is a symbol that looks like two plugs. Pressing that symbol brings you to the page that allows you to select a music source for the Media Player. Select MP3. You must SAVE this selection before exiting the Media Player. Navigate out of the app and turn off the Nav VI and the Sena. Put the Nav VI back in the cradle.

The next time you turn it all on and start the media player it should access the music on your SD card and allow you to control it like any other media device. You’ll even have album art. This is what worked for me and I am really challenged when it comes to this stuff. I hope this is of some help to you. If it is not, it is because I have not explained it well enough. Rest assured you can use your Nav VI to stream your personal music and audio books thru the Media Player to your Sena 20s.....you just have to find the right guy to show you how to do it!

Good luck with it. BTW, welcome to the MOA. It’s a great organization.

The latest firmware update from Garmin finally allows us to stream our own music to the Sena via the Media Player app in the Nav VI. The previous update allowed us to stream from our phone thru the Nav VI to the Sena. I personally don’t want another device to manage (phone) and I just do not like anything about the BMW audio system. Using the Nav VI for navigation guidance, telephone and media just simplifies my life. As an added benefit the audio quality is much better as well.

Assuming that you have the latest firmware versions installed in both the Nav VI and the Sena 20s:
Remove the Nav VI from the cradle and turn it on. Turn on your Sena 20s and allow it to pair with the Nav VI. Open the Media Player App. On the left margin at the top there is a symbol that looks like two plugs. Pressing that symbol brings you to the page that allows you to select a music source for the Media Player. Select MP3. You must SAVE this selection before exiting the Media Player. Navigate out of the app and turn off the Nav VI and the Sena. Put the Nav VI back in the cradle.

The next time you turn it all on and start the media player it should access the music on your SD card and allow you to control it like any other media device. You’ll even have album art. This is what worked for me and I am really challenged when it comes to this stuff. I hope this is of some help to you. If it is not, it is because I have not explained it well enough. Rest assured you can use your Nav VI to stream your personal music and audio books thru the Media Player to your Sena 20s.....you just have to find the right guy to show you how to do it!

Good luck with it. BTW, welcome to the MOA. It’s a great organization.

Thanks for all the help!! I got it to work
The other thing I got working is sharing music to my passenger via a feature on the 20S evo
I have to share almost everytime I restart bike to her headset but its super easy
now I have music (plays all my music unlike radio ) intercom, music for passenger and phone
Bonus
We have a 7000 mile trip set for the end of june. glad to get that sorted out

I’m just happy that my explanation was understandable enough to help you resolve the issue. Enjoy the music!

Jerry

jerry all is almost perfect now. one little hitch. Everytime I start the bike back up I have to restart the music on the nav vi. I selected to automatically start music on bootup but no luck?
does this work for you?

jerry all is almost perfect now. one little hitch. Everytime I start the bike back up I have to restart the music on the nav vi. I selected to automatically start music on bootup but no luck?
does this work for you?

I’ve not tried that option with the media player. I know that option worked when I used to stream music from my iPhone. I eventually turned it off as I don’t always want music.

Tomorrow I will reset my Nav VI to see if my system can do what you describe and get back to you. Maybe others can chime in with an answer?

I’ve not tried that option with the media player. I know that option worked when I used to stream music from my iPhone. I eventually turned it off as I don’t always want music.

Tomorrow I will reset my Nav VI to see if my system can do what you describe and get back to you. Maybe others can chime in with an answer?

Thanks jerry

Sorry for the delay getting back to you. Sometimes life gets in the way. My system behaves exactly like yours as far as automatically playing music is concerned. I have to go back to the Media Player and manually restart it. Just out of curiosity, have you tried using the Sena to control the Media Player , i.e. start, pause, stop, etc.? It can control music on your phone or an ipod, so I wonder if you can start the music on the Media Player using your Sena rather than the Nav VI touchscreen if you have your settings to automatically play music? Just a thought. It would be more convenient than having to go back to the Media Player page.

I may be misunderstanding and the Nav V may operate differently, but with the Nav V I believe the media player is disabled when in the cradle on K16GT. You have to put your media on usb stick and use bike to play it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I have a Nav V and a Sena 10U in my Schuberth. I have not been able to stream music from the bike to my headset because my headset will not pair with the bike for some reason. On my GS with no bike based Bluetooth all I had to do was
1. pair the Nav 5 to the headset as phone 1,
2. pair the phone to the Nav 5,
3. pair the phone to the headset as secondary phone
and I could
1. get directions to headset from the Nav 5
2. stream music from the Nav 5 to the headset
3. stream music from the phone to the headset
Life was wonderful

Now with this 2013 GT that configuration will not work as it tells me to use the bikes radio.
So, I unpaired everything.
The headset will not pair to the GT's BT at all, even after a factory reset, but it will pair to the Nav 5 and I can use the media player in the cradle.
There's no symbol in the media player showing the connection type.
The GT's aux and a stick in the USB play through the speakers and a little BT icon appears with a flashing dot next to it - what does this mean?

Does anyone have knowledge of what could be the BT - Sena problem?
The headset and Nav 5 are all latest firmware.

P.S. The bike came with no manual and I haven't found a working link to downlaod one at yet...

Audio problems, Nav VI media player wont operate, BMW audio not reading new IPhone

I have a 2017 1600 GT, which i just bought in December, with the Garmin Nav VI setup and the media player on the unit wont operate- on or off the cradle. I get a message that the media player requires an A2DP headset to operate even though the unit is connected to my BMW helmet headset and communicates the phone and navigation instructions properly. Ive tried unpairing and repairing the helmut and phone, and complete restore of the Nav unit. I continue to get the same message on the media player. Anyone have a solution for this problem? The dealer said that many people have complained but that BMW has not addressed the problem seriously and offers no help. Supposedly a “new” audio system from BMW is coming out in a couple of months. My next trip is to the dealer to start a warranty claim.

Also, the factory audio system on the motorcycle will not read a current I Pod touch or I phone X properly. It will read my old I pod nano but does not seem to be compatible with the newer software.

Appreciate any advice on these issues.
Thanks

I have a Nav V and a Sena 10U in my Schuberth. I have not been able to stream music from the bike to my headset because my headset will not pair with the bike for some reason. On my GS with no bike based Bluetooth all I had to do was
1. pair the Nav 5 to the headset as phone 1,
2. pair the phone to the Nav 5,
3. pair the phone to the headset as secondary phone
and I could
1. get directions to headset from the Nav 5
2. stream music from the Nav 5 to the headset
3. stream music from the phone to the headset
Life was wonderful

Now with this 2013 GT that configuration will not work as it tells me to use the bikes radio.
So, I unpaired everything.
The headset will not pair to the GT's BT at all, even after a factory reset, but it will pair to the Nav 5 and I can use the media player in the cradle.
There's no symbol in the media player showing the connection type.
The GT's aux and a stick in the USB play through the speakers and a little BT icon appears with a flashing dot next to it - what does this mean?

Does anyone have knowledge of what could be the BT - Sena problem?
The headset and Nav 5 are all latest firmware.

P.S. The bike came with no manual and I haven't found a working link to downlaod one at yet...

Follow-up to my comment above:-

I have the following devices:-

K1600GT
Nav 5.
Sena 10U.
iPhone 6 Plus.

I've been trying to find a seamless way to switch between the BMW audio system and my iPhone music apps (Apple or my current go-to, Pandora) while I'm wearing my Schuberth and integrated Sena 10U while using the Nav 5 for calls and directions (- I've still not found a way to use the Media Player on the Nav 5 at all.)
There does not seem to be a way to do this without some intervention on the iPhone, I'll explain further down.
This is the configuration I'm using - remember the 10U connection options may be different from your unit, it is different from my SMH10R, for instance.

Establish connections in the following order after having erased all previous connections between the devices.
1. BMW Audio Headset 1 to Sena Phone pairing. Wait for the Sena to confirm connection, it takes a while.
2. Nav 5 to Sena 10U as second phone connection.
3. Nav 5 to iPhone.
4. iPhone to Sena 10U as Selective Audio Pairing.

This set-up gives the BMW audio system priority when starting the bike and getting ready to ride. All the connections self establish and you can listen to the audio and use the Nav 5 for directions or to control the phone for outgoing and incoming calls. However, you have to ensure the BT connection between the iPhone and the Sena is not enabled (use Disconnect, not Forget Device), the connection is not established by default if the Sena unit is turned on after the bike is powered up. The Sena connects to the BMW audio system and the Nav 5, and the Nav5 will connect to the iPhone to establish call connectivity. The Sena will now toggle seamlessly between the BMW audio system and the Nav 5 for calls and/or for directions.

If you want to stream music from the iPhone, or use the iPhone as the GPS for BlueTooth directions you can enable the iPhone connection to the Sena but the Sena will disconnect from the BMW audio system (as shown by the helmet icon and a flashing dot next to it on the BMW display). You can still use the Nav 5 for calls and for GPS directions with the Sena toggling between the Nav 5 and the iPhone audio stream seamlessly.
You can re-establish the Sena connection to the BMW audio system by disconnecting the iPhone from the Sena in the iPhone Bluetooth connections, sometimes the BMW audio system needs a nudge by turning it on and off, or a quick press of the on/off button rather than a longer power on/off press of a few seconds.

I hope this helps in some way.

Have fun, safe riding!

Back