• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Memphis Area Parking car/trailer

sabre170

I am planning a motorcycle trip with my brother this summer. We live on opposite ends of the US (Dallas TX and Chicago IL). We are planning on each trailing our bikes to our start point (Memphis), and then start the ride from our meet up point and finish our big loop back at our cars/trailers.

Anyhow, we want to start/end in the Memphis area.

Curious if anyone has any suggestions as to a good place where we could leave 2 cars and their attached trailers. I'd like to avoid a random Walmart parking lot. I'm not against leaving it someplace outside of the city (probably actually prefer this), but would like to keep it within 40mi or so from the city.

We would leave them parked for 7-9 days.

Any Suggestions?

Typically when I go out West I will leave my truck and trailer at a Choice Hotel in Dillon, CO or Missoula, MT for several days by asking the front desk. It has never been a problem. Pick a hotel in Memphis that you stay the first night and leave the vehicles at this location.

Typically when I go out West I will leave my truck and trailer at a Choice Hotel in Dillon, CO or Missoula, MT for several days by asking the front desk. It has never been a problem. Pick a hotel in Memphis that you stay the first night and leave the vehicles at this location.

Yeah, this was going to be my plan if I didn't stumble upon a better solution.

Thanks!

Since both of you are only a days ride from Memphis, would it be less hassle to just ride to Memphis?

Since both of you are only a days ride from Memphis, would it be less hassle to just ride to Memphis?

Yeah, the greater issue would really be endurance for our actual trip. Neither of us area hard core long distance drivers. We both usually start to tap out after about 300-400 miles. More so, our actual trip is going to hit around 1700 miles. To add on another 1000 (round trip driving from homes) would be a bit steep for us to bite off.

Call me a weenie if you will.

Yeah, the greater issue would really be endurance for our actual trip. Neither of us area hard core long distance drivers. We both usually start to tap out after about 300-400 miles. More so, our actual trip is going to hit around 1700 miles. To add on another 1000 (round trip driving from homes) would be a bit steep for us to bite off.

Call me a weenie if you will.

Makes sense.
Get your Anonymous Book out and make a few calls to see if anyone has room for your vehicles and trailer.

Makes sense.
Get your Anonymous Book out and make a few calls to see if anyone has room for your vehicles and trailer.

Yup....that was already in my plans as a last resort. Wanted to avoid being a creeper if possible. Hahaha.

Having said that, I must honestly say I find the Anonymous book a bit hard to use as it is organized by town name. So I really need to look up every single town one by one that surrounds Memphis. I wish there was an anonymous book interactive map! Wow, now that would be quite the feature!!!!

Yup....that was already in my plans as a last resort. Wanted to avoid being a creeper if possible. Hahaha.

Having said that, I must honestly say I find the Anonymous book a bit hard to use as it is organized by town name. So I really need to look up every single town one by one that surrounds Memphis. I wish there was an anonymous book interactive map! Wow, now that would be quite the feature!!!!

I don't live in Memphis or I would offer you a place. I did grow up there and can offer up the names of the surrounding towns: Germantown, Collierville, Bartlett, Oakland, Lakeland, Arlington are all in Shelby County and actually safer than Memphis on so many levels. Fayette County has Somerville, Williston, Moscow, Macon, or Stanton. Tipton County has Covington, Munford, Atoka, or Brighton.

Search in any of those address areas and you're in greater Memphis.

I don't live in Memphis or I would offer you a place. I did grow up there and can offer up the names of the surrounding towns: Germantown, Collierville, Bartlett, Oakland, Lakeland, Arlington are all in Shelby County and actually safer than Memphis on so many levels. Fayette County has Somerville, Williston, Moscow, Macon, or Stanton. Tipton County has Covington, Munford, Atoka, or Brighton.

Search in any of those address areas and you're in greater Memphis.

You should also try Marion, Arkansas. It is within about 15 miles of downtown Memphis.

I've looked at this a couple of times. Called a couple of my BMW Buddies about parking those vehicles on their property, no luck. I'll keep looking.

I would go to the website of the local BMW club the BMW RAMS and text them a message about your needs. This is a very active club and you might get a solution to your needs. These guys are known to help. Barry

Places to land

I would suggest a KOA in Marion or a locked, fenced storage area like a personal storage area. I have used one of these in New Mexico because who wants to ride across Texas and New Mexico to get to Colorado. Sometimes a KOA has parking and will let you park for a small fee. I live about 80 miles west of Memphis but can't store more than 1 truck and trailer.

I am planning a motorcycle trip with my brother this summer. We live on opposite ends of the US (Dallas TX and Chicago IL). We are planning on each trailing our bikes to our start point (Memphis), and then start the ride from our meet up point and finish our big loop back at our cars/trailers.

Anyhow, we want to start/end in the Memphis area.

Curious if anyone has any suggestions as to a good place where we could leave 2 cars and their attached trailers. I'd like to avoid a random Walmart parking lot. I'm not against leaving it someplace outside of the city (probably actually prefer this), but would like to keep it within 40mi or so from the city.

We would leave them parked for 7-9 days.

Any Suggestions?
What about small airport? They usually have decent parking and have people park vehicles there for multi days without charge for people flying in small planes. Usually safe and secure. I'm sure they might want to check inside of trailer to make sure not full of explosives these days, but airport manager should be able to tell you over phone if they'd allow it.

There is app called rv parky that tells you safe places to park RV overnights free of charge. Might be place to start and check if multinight is okay

I've had luck leaving vehicle at hotel for free where I've stayed a night, but haven't tried with trailer and that many days.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

With all due respect - if there is nobody in the Memphis or surrounding area that can help these folks out, I am shocked. Down here in Texas I have personally hosted a half-dozen such requests for a parking place for folks headed to Mexico or out west in the past five years. You guys have to be able to do better than I am seeing here. Step up here folks!

The KOA tip is a good one. We've used campgrounds to park a vehicle and trailer as well as storage lots (Google RV storage). The costs is ridiculously cheap, usually 20 dollars a week for secure parking and you don't have to inconvenience anyone with your arrival, parking space, and departure logistics.

Memphis KOA
7037 I-55 Exit 14
Marion, Ar. 72364
870 739 4801
This might could work. About 15 miles north of Memphis. Give'em a call. It's just north of Marion. Giv'em a call.

Back