• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Editing problem

lkraus

Is anyone else experiencing problems while working in the post reply editor? For the past couple of weeks the window has been locking up on me. It just stops responding for various lengths of time, from a few seconds up to three minutes. If I keep typing, my keystrokes are buffered and eventually show up. I've had no trouble elsewhere on this site or any other, and other tabs in my browser are still responsive. I've logged in and out, cleared ALL my Chrome settings - no difference. I'd hoped last weeks' server reboot might have helped, but the problem continues.

I too have problems with editing/previewing with Chrome. I have contacted the admins with a screenshot of a message that comes up and we have no explanation. I have not experienced the problem with Edge or Safari. Sorry I have no help but understand your frustration.
:lurk

. If I keep typing, my keystrokes are buffered and eventually show up.

I've had this problem for awhile. I thought the battery in the keyboard was weak, but I noticed I did not have the problem on other sites.

Is it on all your devices?....or is it just Chrome?
OM

In my case it appears to be a Chrome issue. I have PC and Apple devices with multiple browsers. The issue crops up when using Chrome and not with other browsers.

Thanks for the info.
There is some things about Chrome that I found so invasive I have avoided it. My observations probably won’t help anyone but may lead to a clue.
I suspect retained info in Chrome to be the culprit.
OM

I'm just seeing the problem in Chrome, which may be the culprit. The problem started about the time it updated itself to version 64.0.3282.186 (64-bit). I just found it odd that the only problem I've encountered has been in this site's editor. I may just use Notepad++ and cut'n'paste until Chrome updates again.

edit: searching for freezing problems on this version of Chrome, I found a suggestion to disable hardware acceleration (Chrome Settings>Advanced>System). I'll try that first.

OK using Version 64.0.3282.186 (Official Build) Stable (64-bit), with hardware acceleration turned off, I had no trouble typing in several paragraphs of text. I tried turning it back on, performed the required Chrome re-launch, and found that edit window freezes immediately, with all my keystrokes finally appearing about a minute later.

I also installed Version 65.0.3325.106 (Official Build) Beta (64-bit). It also allows the editor to work normally, but with hardware acceleration turned ON.

I've toggled the acceleration for various problems in the past without seeing a noticeable difference in overall performance, so it's a tossup as to which fix is preferable.

Back