Thread: Editing problem

Editing problem

Is anyone else experiencing problems while working in the post reply editor? For the past couple of weeks the window has been locking up on me. It just stops responding for various lengths of time, from a few seconds up to three minutes. If I keep typing, my keystrokes are buffered and eventually show up. I've had no trouble elsewhere on this site or any other, and other tabs in my browser are still responsive. I've logged in and out, cleared ALL my Chrome settings - no difference. I'd hoped last weeks' server reboot might have helped, but the problem continues.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

I too have problems with editing/previewing with Chrome. I have contacted the admins with a screenshot of a message that comes up and we have no explanation. I have not experienced the problem with Edge or Safari. Sorry I have no help but understand your frustration.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Is it on all your devices?....or is it just Chrome?
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    . If I keep typing, my keystrokes are buffered and eventually show up.
    I've had this problem for awhile. I thought the battery in the keyboard was weak, but I noticed I did not have the problem on other sites.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Is it on all your devices?....or is it just Chrome?
    OM
    In my case it appears to be a Chrome issue. I have PC and Apple devices with multiple browsers. The issue crops up when using Chrome and not with other browsers.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

Thanks for the info.
    There is some things about Chrome that I found so invasive I have avoided it. My observations probably won’t help anyone but may lead to a clue.
    I suspect retained info in Chrome to be the culprit.
    OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I'm just seeing the problem in Chrome, which may be the culprit. The problem started about the time it updated itself to version 64.0.3282.186 (64-bit). I just found it odd that the only problem I've encountered has been in this site's editor. I may just use Notepad++ and cut'n'paste until Chrome updates again.

edit: searching for freezing problems on this version of Chrome, I found a suggestion to disable hardware acceleration (Chrome Settings>Advanced>System). I'll try that first.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Great Larry, let us know
    Gary
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

OK using Version 64.0.3282.186 (Official Build) Stable (64-bit), with hardware acceleration turned off, I had no trouble typing in several paragraphs of text. I tried turning it back on, performed the required Chrome re-launch, and found that edit window freezes immediately, with all my keystrokes finally appearing about a minute later.

I also installed Version 65.0.3325.106 (Official Build) Beta (64-bit). It also allows the editor to work normally, but with hardware acceleration turned ON.

I've toggled the acceleration for various problems in the past without seeing a noticeable difference in overall performance, so it's a tossup as to which fix is preferable.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT