• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Getting ready to buy a 2018 R1200 GSA.

bimmerbiker

Getting ready to pull the trigger on a new 2018 GSA with the Premium Package & Panniers. On the fence about getting the Nav unit as I use Waze on my phone and not sure I need to spend the extra $1000. Though I love the fact that it comes Nav ready with the connecting plate sitting there empty right in front of your face.

Anything I should be aware of, or ask for before I buy it?

Congrats on getting a new bike! I'm pretty sure that BMW has a promo going on some new models, offering a free GPS unit with purchase. Considering that new F850GS models are coming soon on the US market, I would ask for a free nav. unit.

you gotta do your study my friend...

...that "whizz wheel" is near magic with the MOTORAD GPS. Without it you literally have a partial GS!

Congrats on getting a new bike! I'm pretty sure that BMW has a promo going on some new models, offering a free GPS unit with purchase.

The current promo shows a Nav VI with the purchase of a 2017 GS or GSA.
That promo ends today, but would not be surprised to see it continue next month.

If it were me (and it was in late 2015), I'd get the Nav VI. As for the bike, and accessories, I'd first check BMW Motorrad USA's website for any applicable "promotions" (you'll find that tab on their homepage). At a bare minimum, the dealer should offer at least a 10% discount on any BMW accessories, such as those aluminum cases, complete with lock cylinders keyed to the bike etc. I'd ask them to throw in the Nav VI at no additional cost. Worst they can do is say no, and just offer a discount. Have them throw in a free spare key (not a keyless ride fob, but a metal key to use for the locks on the cases). By the way, each side case needs three lock cylinders, and the top case needs two, for a total of eight, if you get three cases.

Last edited:
If you are buying a GSA with the huge tank, I would assume you plan to travel to remote areas. Remember most truly remote areas do not have cell phone service so a Sat based Nav system will be needed...that or a compass and map!

If you are buying a GSA with the huge tank, I would assume you plan to travel to remote areas. Remember most truly remote areas do not have cell phone service so a Sat based Nav system will be needed...that or a compass and map!

Waze requires cellular service, but there are a multitude of apps that can provide navigation assistance on their own. Your phone can determine your position anywhere it can receive the satellite signal. Maps stored on the phone (rather than continually downloaded) are then used to display that position. Most of the apps are very inexpensive (free to ~$20), with many features and options Garmin does not offer. Even Google Maps will let you download map data in advance if you know you will be leaving cellular service, or just want to use free wi-fi rather than your cellular data allowance. It's really hard to justify Garmin prices when an existing device works as well or better.

Another reason to go for the GPS is all the bike data such as engine temp, max speed, tire pressure, and many more are displayed on the GPS screen.

Not necessarily.
1) You are assuming that all who buy a GSA are doing remote off-pavement rides. I posit that many simply like the increased fuel capacity wherever they ride.
2) There are rugged phones that will use the GPS-only (no cell phone service required) out there. I'll point you to this thread for starters: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/ultra-rugged-kyocera-phones-gps-smartphones-my-guide.1206076/
I have a Kyocera Duraforce Pro on order and plan to test it next to my Garmin 590. I have no plans to enable cell service on the Kyocera, but I realize I'll have to roll my own mapping software on it. We'll see how it works out.

Not necessarily.
1) You are assuming that all who buy a GSA are doing remote off-pavement rides. I posit that many simply like the increased fuel capacity wherever they ride.
2) There are rugged phones that will use the GPS-only (no cell phone service required) out there. I'll point you to this thread for starters: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/ultra-rugged-kyocera-phones-gps-smartphones-my-guide.1206076/
I have a Kyocera Duraforce Pro on order and plan to test it next to my Garmin 590. I have no plans to enable cell service on the Kyocera, but I realize I'll have to roll my own mapping software on it. We'll see how it works out.

Wow I learn some new thing every day! Thanks

However, it sound some what complicated, takes some energy to get on top of the details you out line. clearly a cell phone antenna is not optimized for GPS signals...so I will stay with traditional GPS. I don't want to spend that extra effort....I like my Nav V....if you want a cheaper nav unit get a hiker hand held, i've used mine several times.

Another reason to go for the GPS is all the bike data such as engine temp, max speed, tire pressure, and many more are displayed on the GPS screen.

... That would be post #3 above.

A Garmin 660 will fit in the NAV VI mount. It will function as a normal GPS but will not interface with the pike or respond to the wonder wheel. There may be other models that that fit as well. I do not the 660 is still being made, but used, refurbished or old new stock may still be found.

I'm happy with my Nav V. Internet forums (always a valuable and totally accurate unbiased source of information, and thoughtfully formed and well supported opinions) lead me to believe the Nav VI still has issues. If I were buying a new bike I'd keep my Nav V (I did it when I traded the K1600 for an RT, and again when I traded the RT for a GSA). At this point I can't imagine using a GPS without the wonderwheel integration.

Google Maps and the like need a cell signal because they basically stream the map data. If you're traveling out west on interstates, using your phone should be fine. If you get onto side/back roads where there's no cell signal, it's no help. You could use your phone with an app like MAPS.ME that has downloadable maps and use the GPS signal (available everywhere buildings, trees, or mountains don't interfere with the signal) to show where you are on a map.

Other arguments in favor of a non-phone solution like a Nav V or VI, or Garmin 660/665 is that they're usable with regular gloves, and they're waterproof.

Getting ready to pull the trigger on a new 2018 GSA with the Premium Package & Panniers. On the fence about getting the Nav unit as I use Waze on my phone and not sure I need to spend the extra $1000. Though I love the fact that it comes Nav ready with the connecting plate sitting there empty right in front of your face.

Anything I should be aware of, or ask for before I buy it?

I like the GPS with the wheel for a lot of reasons, but don't particularly like the charging. I have not sorted it, but my old Garmin gps charges on the bike and stays charged a long time during not riding time. The Nav VI discharges fairly rapidly when not riding the bike. There is also some issue with the brightness getting itself turned down at odd times after not riding for a time.
If anyone has some suggestions as to what I am doing wrong, jump in here...

I like the GPS with the wheel for a lot of reasons, but don't particularly like the charging. I have not sorted it, but my old Garmin gps charges on the bike and stays charged a long time during not riding time. The Nav VI discharges fairly rapidly when not riding the bike. There is also some issue with the brightness getting itself turned down at odd times after not riding for a time.
If anyone has some suggestions as to what I am doing wrong, jump in here...

I think the entire BMW navy package is well integrated and works flawlessly. Well
Worth the investment and it looks awesome. No reason to leave that empty plate there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I got my 2017 GS I had a Garmin 665 (660 + XM) and transferred it to the new bike. There was no wonderwheel integration and the display contrast was poor given the mounting location. I sold the 665 and bought a used BMW Navigator V. MUCH better! Nav V (~$400 used) or Nav VI is the way to go!

Back