• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Data mining from social media and smartphones

henzilla

not so retired
Staff member
Another angle on " how do they know that?" when ads pop up.
It is one of my biggest peeves to be hammered with suggested ads.
I know the marketing guys here who live for this love it...I am not one and it just aggravates me.

Still interesting as H and I have talked about something and see ads days later, even with no searches...FB sees a pool in a pic and somehow drives pool equipment/supplies your way....GRRRR! I buy tires and immediately get barraged with side bar ads from either the same company or a competitor. Not a sheep.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/phone-listening-facebook-google-ads/

The less information you provide on social media accounts the better.
It is also a good idea to use tracking blockers and delete ads that pop up on your page on FB. I do and it helps reducing the amount of cr^p I get.
One day it'll get to the point I will delete my FB account anyway and that will be the end of my "social" media involvement other than two forums I am on....
My real friends know how to get in touch with me and I with them... YMMV

Facebook? You mean Geezerbook? Is anyone still on there?? All the cool kids have moved to Instagram and such...
;-)

Best,
DG

I’m not on any social media unless motorcycle forums are counted. I still get targeted ads and I think it is Google that is getting and spreading the information. I recently switched from Google to DuckDuckGo as a search engine. Reportedly DuckDuckGo claims they do not gather or share data. We shall see.

Perhaps some have seen my other posts on this subject? :eek

A cleaning out of your browser history, cookies and cache will help. Some browsers will allow you to really cut down on “tracking”.
The volunteered info that is routinely posted on FB, ..........well, should be given more thought.
YMMV.
OM

The less information you provide on social media accounts the better.

My real friends know how to get in touch with me and I with them... YMMV

I am on maybe 3 forums with any regular use, here being the most. I haven't been a user of the other media and agree on folks know where to find me.

The CBS story had the duck duck go discussed Kevin mentions, but as no surprise went over my head what it was for.Google definitely feeds the algorithym monster.

all that collection about you is done with your consent....

every app you download, or service you subscribe to, has a user agreement and/or a set of permissions needed to access functions on your phone/computer. if you don't agree, you can't use the app. folks just click thru the agreement....then later doesn't understand how all these ads appear....

it is amazing how upset people got a few years ago when NSA was in the news for following the law that allowed them access to just the impersonal meta data about a phone call...yet those same people freely give up every right to privacy they have to commercial companies...or just post it all themselves.

I’m not on any social media unless motorcycle forums are counted. I still get targeted ads and I think it is Google that is getting and spreading the information. I recently switched from Google to DuckDuckGo as a search engine. Reportedly DuckDuckGo claims they do not gather or share data. We shall see.

And your next move should be to ixquick: https://www.ixquick.eu

A bit more work to configure but worth it.

Best,
DG

all that collection about you is done with your consent....

every app you download, or service you subscribe to, has a user agreement and/or a set of permissions needed to access functions on your phone/computer. if you don't agree, you can't use the app. folks just click thru the agreement....then later doesn't understand how all these ads appear....

it is amazing how upset people got a few years ago when NSA was in the news for following the law that allowed them access to just the impersonal meta data about a phone call...yet those same people freely give up every right to privacy they have to commercial companies...or just post it all themselves.

I understand the need to agree to a 14 page document (I am sarcastic on length, kinda)written in techno speak that the average consumer rarely reads and if they do, struggle to grasp the totality of the meaning and what they are allowing.
I know I speak for myself, but can only figure I am not alone.

We are a nation used to instant satisfaction and unless it's a major legal agreement or a home purchase, who really reads all the content. I know where the ads come from in general, just not happy that the tech is used for more than just to remind me I love Michelin tires. FB wasn't as "free" as advertised, and was a reason I never played.

Without going down the political rabbithole not allowed here, the NSA did what they were allowed to do, not by the end users OK. Not the same in my mind.

Ad stuff

Seems like the best way to get rid of the ads is don't buy if a ad pops up on your stuff don't buy even if it is something your looking for.

Another angle on " how do they know that?" when ads pop up.
It is one of my biggest peeves to be hammered with suggested ads.
I know the marketing guys here who live for this love it...I am not one and it just aggravates me.

Still interesting as H and I have talked about something and see ads days later, even with no searches...

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/phone-listening-facebook-google-ads/

Ummm... some of these programs reportedly can exploit the microphone in your device.

https://www.pandasecurity.com/mediacenter/security/spy-smartphone-microphone/

Last edited:
Europe has a process to have Google wipe clean people's web search history upon request. The policy can be read about HERE. Would be good to have such an option here as well.

The Edge browser (and others I'm sure) has a setting to clear various histories and a setting to do that each time I close my browser. Is that the same thing? :dunno

Europe has a process to have Google wipe clean people's web search history upon request. The policy can be read about HERE. Would be good to have such an option here as well.

Ha ha ha ha ha! That would be called a "burden" on the business in today's times.:banghead

The Edge browser (and others I'm sure) has a setting to clear various histories and a setting to do that each time I close my browser. Is that the same thing? :dunno

It sounds to me that the European version is more involved than just erasing the history and cookies on your computer. It erases any record of your web history that Google may have. Not that Google would gather any data on their users.... naw, of course not.

It erases any record of your web history that Google may have.

OK, that's different!!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OjYoNL4g5Vg" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just got a notice from ebay and a new user agreement for new users and for old users beginning Mar.30.

Just glancing and glazing over it, who possibly can read all of that and understand your rignts and duties:scratch
I scrolled for a LONG time on my smartphone.

I use ebay and am sure I will check the OK with a checkmark...geez

and don't ask what I think of this device :D

b0009031.jpeg

"Hey Google"

My bro in law, also a member who doesn't post here, sent me his Joke of the Day...timely to say the least....and funny....kinda

Is this where we’re headed?

CALLER:

Is this Gordon's Pizza?

GOOGLE:

No sir, it's Google Pizza.

CALLER:

I must have dialed a wrong number. Sorry.

GOOGLE:

No sir, Google bought Gordon’s Pizza last month.

CALLER:

OK. I would like to order a pizza.

GOOGLE:

Do you want your usual, sir?

CALLER:

My usual? You know me?

GOOGLE:

According to our caller ID data sheet, the last 12 times you called

you ordered an extra-large pizza with three cheeses, sausage,

pepperoni, mushrooms and meatballs on a thick crust.

CALLER:

OK! That’s what I want …

GOOGLE:

May I suggest that this time you order a pizza with ricotta, arugula,

sun-dried tomatoes and olives on a whole wheat gluten-free thin crust?

CALLER:

What? I detest vegetable!.

GOOGLE:

Your cholesterol is not good, sir.

CALLER:

How the hell do you know!

GOOGLE:

Well, we cross-referenced your home phone number with your medical

records. We

have the result of your blood tests for the last 7 years.

CALLER:

Okay, but I do not want your rotten vegetable pizza! I already take

medication for my cholesterol.

GOOGLE: Excuse me sir, but you have not taken your medication

regularly. According to our database, you only purchased a box of 30

cholesterol tablets once, at Drug RX Network, 4 months ago.

CALLER:

I bought more from another drugstore.

GOOGLE:

That doesn’t show on your credit card statement.

CALLER:

I paid in cash.

GOOGLE:

But you did not withdraw enough cash according to your bank statement.

CALLER:

I have other sources of cash.

GOOGLE: That doesn’t show on your last tax return unless you bought

them using an undeclared income source, which is against the law.

CALLER:

WHAT THE HELL!!!

GOOGLE:

I'm sorry, sir, we use such information only with the sole intention

of helping you.

CALLER:

Enough already! I'm sick to death of Google, Facebook, Twitter,

WhatsApp and all the others. I'm going to an island without internet,

cable TV, where there is no cell phone service and no one to watch me

or spy on me.

GOOGLE:

I understand sir, but you need to renew your passport first. It