• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'17 R1200RT Tank Bag Suggestions

rip0357

Looking for suggestions in tank bags for my '17 R1200RT. New bike for me and with my last bike being a '16 Goldwing, I have no experience with tank bags. Would like to avoid my usual routine of buying several out of ignorance. I would appreciate hearing from others who don't mind sharing their experience.

Thank you,

I've got two Givi's and they're both excellent! Easy on/off and very securely mounted. Each bag came with the "plastic" mounting ring; all I needed is/was the metal holding piece. Smallest bag is a 4 liter little guy for daily rides. Largest is expandable, has map window (removable), is expandable, and holds a ton of stuff (25 liters IIRC).

I don't believe you can go wrong with the Givi. YMMV of course.

Dennis

Been looking myself for one for my 17 GS. SWMotech has a nice EVO daypack. Have to buy tank mounting ring separate. About $180 for the set. Check out YouTube for reviews and comparisons Givi and SW. I'm leaning towards the SW.

I've got two Givi's and they're both excellent! Easy on/off and very securely mounted. Each bag came with the "plastic" mounting ring; all I needed is/was the metal holding piece. Smallest bag is a 4 liter little guy for daily rides. Largest is expandable, has map window (removable), is expandable, and holds a ton of stuff (25 liters IIRC).

I don't believe you can go wrong with the Givi. YMMV of course.

Dennis

Ditto on the GIVI! It is a great product and the tank lock works like a champ!

https://www.motomachines.com/Tank-Bag--STREET-Tourer-M_p_4747.html

There are various sizes.

tank-bag.jpg

Givi system

Here is a clip on the Givi system. I have the small 4 liter formed bag that i love and for me is just large enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_XsJScKOcc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b26-Kah7Wg

I have never before used a tank bag but with the limited space on the new RT and based on the endorsement of my riding buddies I finally made the leap with the Givi. My 2 buddies both ran SW Motech bags and liked the Givi system better hence my decision to go with Givi.

Givi makes great stuff but I went with SW Motech as I liked the looks of the bags better. But as always YMMV..

LOL ... and it was the look of the small Givi with the carbon fiber looking hard sides that attracted me. I guess that is why Baskin Robbins makes 32 flavors! I really wanted something small so the Givi looks along with my buddies telling me they both felt the Givi mechanism was a bit better than the Motech was what sold me. But I suspect if you are looking for a larger bag then the look of the bags would be different. Also, for those with a pre wethead the Motech is one of the few options. Both are quality products for sure.

Which RKA bag? What year RT do you ride?

They have lots of bags that fit lots of RTs, so it really depends on your particular needs and configuration requirements. My RT is in my signature, which is why I did not specify in the text.

So, to clarify, I have a 2016 R1200RT. I have the Generation IV, 15.5 L, IN-Charge Shiloh Road 3 point bag. I like this bag because I can use it for paper maps and also have a second GPS and powered accessories at hand for longer rides or IBA rallies or certified rides.

Hope this helps. Here is a picture of my bike with bag (taken last October about 2 h from where I live :dance)

2017-10-14 15.01.01.jpg

Back