• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'96 r850r

dcwii

Well, I think I've done it. I think I've worked out a deal for a '96 R850R. I'll pick it up Tuesday. Needs a new battery, front tire, windshield and I'll probably have to replace the steering dampener (looks like it just started leaking) but everything else seems pretty solid. 22K miles. Non ABS. Pretty excited about it, even with the few issues I'll have to handle before it's really ready to roll again. Sounds great and feels good on the road.

Any tips, tricks, or ideas? Things to look out for? I'm looking around now trying to decide on the best aftermarket windscreen.

Doug

Congrats on the new purchase!

If it still has the original rubber brake lines, replace them with stainless steel ones NOW.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, why bother changing out a leaking steering dampener? I realize that BMW installed it as original equipment, but later model oil heads, like my 2000 R1100 RS did not have that part. Just wondering how necessary the dampener is on a street bike.
Btw, the 850r is an interesting iteration of the oil head. Kinda rare.
John

The bikes handling characteristics had the dampener designed in to it. Our 95 R and 07 12R, 12S do, the 1150R and 11S do not. I will trust they are there for a sound reason and keep them on my watch list.Have replaced the 12R due to leak as I am the maintainer and H is the pilot.It is not a cheap part whether OEM or aftermarket.

If it prevents a front end high speed wobble just once, I'm sold.I first thought maybe it's because of handlebar mounted windscreen until I saw the 12S fairing style windscreen.

On the 850, had a late friend who had the Atlanta Olympics silver/black model with spoked wheels and the commerative badge on the rear fender. Always liked that model.

I call it "Rough Draft"

My '96 850R Scrambler has been taking up space and tinker time in my shop for I can't remember how long. I rolled it off the lift and took it for a spin around the yard yesterday. Over the last several years I have done the GS suspension, wheels, bars s well as the usual stuff to update it like brake lines, HES, injector cleaning and a bunch of other stuff. Admittedly I have spent way to much time and money on this project but it is a very comfortable and seems to capable off road bike. I just have complete a few of the annoying details like speedo and idiot light mounting and fine tuning the and on's.

Attachments

• IMG_0674 (1280x960).jpg
    IMG_0674 (1280x960).jpg
    97 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_0675 (1280x960).jpg
    IMG_0675 (1280x960).jpg
    91 KB · Views: 303
Thanks for all the replies!

I think these are the original brake lines, so I'll check into that ASAP.

As for the dampener, pretty much what Henzilla said- "If it prevents a front end high speed wobble just once, I'm sold". I've done some reading and maybe it's not 100% necessary, but even though it's kind of an expensive part it seems like it's a good idea. I also read a few threads about repairing the original, so I MAY give that a shot first.

The front tire it totally shot, so that's the first priority. It's MUCH more worn on the left side, which seems to be typical even though I can't seem to find a good answer for why.

Thanks again- I'll post pics when I get her home.

Doug

Yep, I get it. If it saves you from one get off, money well spent.

Many years ago, my Yamaha SRX 6 did a wild, oscillating tank slapper, that almost dropped the bike. I had just started from a traffic light, and contacted an uneven part of pavement, not going more than 30 miles per hour. Prior to that incident, the bike never exhibited any of the tendencies. That bike never came with a factory steering dampener, but it certainly could have used it that day

Thanks for all the replies!

I think these are the original brake lines, so I'll check into that ASAP.

As for the dampener, pretty much what Henzilla said- "If it prevents a front end high speed wobble just once, I'm sold". I've done some reading and maybe it's not 100% necessary, but even though it's kind of an expensive part it seems like it's a good idea. I also read a few threads about repairing the original, so I MAY give that a shot first.

The front tire it totally shot, so that's the first priority. It's MUCH more worn on the left side, which seems to be typical even though I can't seem to find a good answer for why.

Thanks again- I'll post pics when I get her home.

Doug

You guys have a battery recommendation? A lot of stuff on the market.

AGM type would be best. I cannot recall what I have on mine. Getting under the tank for battery maintenance is a freaking chore. However, while you have the tank off, you may want to install some fuel line quick disconnects. Mine didn't have any, and it was fairly easy to do.

My front master cylinder sprung a leak one day, and while I had it apart, I ordered up all new s/s brake lines and new pipes.

Don't use synthetic oil in it. I did. Once. Bike didn't like it and oil started weeping a bit. Swapped it back to good ole dino oil, no more weeping. Be very mindful of how tight you put the oil filter on. I ended up having to lay the bike on its side for 'my' first oil change as it was on so stinking tight that nothing would work removing it. I get why the filter is in the recess, but I curse the designers every time I remove it.

My biggest gripe with the bike is the sidestand safety switch. I hate having to put the bike up on the center stand to warm it up. I've thought about ding the work around, but that will disable the switch all together. Not sure how I feel about that.

I put Pirelli Angels on mine, they seem to do fine. And mine has a Rifle fairing on it, looks cool, but for me, the screen needs to be about an inch taller.

Oh yea, I also did a canisterectomy on it. useless thing. Bike is now a bit lighter and thus, now goes a bit faster. ;-)

R850.jpg

96 R850R-very engine missing, well, it's not really missing. . .

Hey everyone, I'll need to educate myself on posting, but while I do that, here's the issue:

1996 R850R 5,000 miles
I've owned it for a couple of months and just swapped out the starter (which is working perfectly now), changed the oil, air filter and plugs. Generally runs very well, but every once in a while the engine sputters/hesitates/misses. I'm thinking it may be the fuel filter, but looking for advice. What are some things I can do to trouble shoot?

Thanks!

Ray

First thing I would do is establish a good baseline. Adjust the valves, clean the big brass screws, sync the throttle bodies and new gapped spark plugs.

Hey everyone, I'll need to educate myself on posting, but while I do that, here's the issue:

1996 R850R 5,000 miles
I've owned it for a couple of months and just swapped out the starter (which is working perfectly now), changed the oil, air filter and plugs. Generally runs very well, but every once in a while the engine sputters/hesitates/misses. I'm thinking it may be the fuel filter, but looking for advice. What are some things I can do to trouble shoot?

Thanks!

Ray

Anything that applies to the 1100 engine applies to the 850.

Me? I would start with a good tune-up which starts with plugs, air filter and fuel filter. You should do TB-Sync and valve adjustments if you want. If you still have issues after that, come back to this forum and post your complaints.

96 R850R-very engine missing, well, it's not really missing. . .

Thanks to all so far! Looks like we are going to get some rain here in Virginia, so it may give me the opportunity to do a few of the things mentioned. Fuel filter may be next because I already have it on hand.

Very best,

Ray

96 R850R-windscreen recommendations

Thanks in advance...I have the original around the headlight windscreen but no hardware. Any recommendations on a windscreen that I want to use as it starts to get chilly in Virginia, but will take off next spring. Something mid-sized--I'm not looking to block out everything.

thanks,

ray

My '96 850R Scrambler has been taking up space and tinker time in my shop for I can't remember how long. I rolled it off the lift and took it for a spin around the yard yesterday. Over the last several years I have done the GS suspension, wheels, bars s well as the usual stuff to update it like brake lines, HES, injector cleaning and a bunch of other stuff. Admittedly I have spent way to much time and money on this project but it is a very comfortable and seems to capable off road bike. I just have complete a few of the annoying details like speedo and idiot light mounting and fine tuning the and on's.

So, are those GS hand guards? Do they work with a throttle miester?

They are GS hand guards

But they are from an '05 1200GS and they took a little fabrication of parts to fit and stay put. I couldn't tell you if they would or would not work with a throttle miester, I never thought of putting one on the bike.

You mentioned changing the front tire, check the date code on the rear too and if it is aged (over 5 yrs) change it also. :thumb

Back