Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Garmin Express and Maps Update - 2/25/2018

Garmin Express and Maps Update - 2/25/2018

Garmin prompted me to update Garmin Express on my Mac today. Looks like I got version 6.1.2.0:

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-02-25 at 10.59.16 AM.png
Views: 1281
Size:  76.7 KB

After that, it told me that there was an update to the maps. I duly installed it and looked at the details. I'm not sure how important this one's going to be:

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-02-25 at 10.56.49 AM.jpg
Views: 1255
Size:  29.8 KB
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    Watching the sunrise outdoors statistically increases your odds of having a good day. And needing a nap after lunch.

Well, if you're planning on riding in Mongolia, Tonga, Fiji, the Turks and Caicos, Chile, Sudan and/or Northern Cyprus and you care about Daylight Savings time, you should install this!

Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '07 Xchallenge || '13 CB500X || '14 Grom

Don't forget about West Wendover, NV (population 4415)...where you can stop by and see "Wendover Will."

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-02-25 at 1.43.53 PM.jpg
Views: 1188
Size:  34.0 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-02-25 at 1.41.42 PM.jpg
Views: 1194
Size:  34.6 KB
    Watching the sunrise outdoors statistically increases your odds of having a good day. And needing a nap after lunch.

It might be worthwhile for users of PC's and zumo models to check for updates also. I had updated my zumo and Basecamp map a few weeks ago to 2019.10, but the map had another small update waiting today. Took about a minute to download with no change in version number. Maybe it only fixes the Wendover time zone?
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

A few other places too, but only West Wendover in the US. See my initial post above.

Dress for fall & avoid it AlanColes's Avatar
    Interesting John, how the different interfaces look.

No update to Garmin Express for my "Windows" based system, it is still v6.1.1.0.
    Name:  Garmin Express v6.1.1.0.jpg
Views: 1175
Size:  21.7 KB

So just the Time Zone Map update to v.21.00.

Name:  Garmin Time Zone Map - v21.00.jpg
Views: 1191
Size:  115.1 KB
    Regards, Alan - President BMWONS - MOA Charter Club #097, BMWMOA/BMWRA/BMWONS/Airheads
    Current: '14 R1200RT / '06 Ducati ST3s / '91 R100GS / '86 R80RT / '75 R90S / '73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '04 R1150RT / '81 Honda GL1100 / '77 Suzuki GS750 / '73 Norton 850 Commando

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    A few other places too, but only West Wendover in the US. See my initial post above.
    Yeah, I knew I should have been more specific. Sorry about that.

I've never before seen a reference to a stand-alone Garmin "Time Zone Map". I've only ridden in North America, so the only Garmin map I use or update is City Navigator North America NT, current version 2019.10, which does not include the roads of Mongolia, Tonga, Fiji, the Turks and Caicos, Chile, Sudan or Northern Cyprus. If you rely on Garmin maps to get to dinner on time in any of those places, you'll need to check for your own updates.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Another(!) Garmin Express Update (2/27/2018)

Garmin has sent out another Garmin Express update for the Mac tonight:

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-02-27 at 8.45.24 PM.png
Views: 1063
Size:  151.7 KB

I just updated Garmin Express this evening. I updated the map on my Nuvi and am now updating the map on the Nav V...this on a Win 10 machine.
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

This is the release note for Express 6.2.0 on PCs:

Garmin Express Release Notes Today, 10:35 AM

Garmin began rolling out Garmin Express v6.2.0 for the PC today. If you would like to update to the latest version, please visit the About page within the Settings of the Express application and select “Check for Updates to Express.”
    This version includes the following changes:
    • Users can now add a Monterra to Express if there is a SD card inserted.
    • For Approach S1 users, we fixed an issue that would not allow the user to change courses following an update.
    • Helped address an incorrect cycle map part number being installed to the Fenix 5x for AU/NZ users.
    • Other minor bug fixes and improvements.

Pat

Ride Safe!
    '16 RT

Anything else other than Basecamp?

I have only heard horror stories about Basecamp. The complaints are that it seems to be very buggy, Garmin is not really supporting it and may discontinue the program and that it gets very Squirrley when you’re using it on the road.

Are there any other travel planning program I can use on my BMW Garmin V?

Thanks

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    Maybe it's me but I find Basecamp to be quite good once I got the hang of it. That did take a bit of time and effort however, so there is that learning curve.
    You have to be precise when laying out a course/route so that your waypoints don't end up taking you in circles and detours. You have to zoom in close enough to see that you're on the correct street/road and not on a driveway etc prompting course corrections.
    The latest map update made the screen of the NAV VI much more readable too IMHO. Is it perfect? No, but close enough and that is why I take paper maps with me too. AAA sends them for free with your membership and they are a great backup and route planner. YMMV
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, ‘17 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by RIDERR1150GSADV View Post
    Maybe it's me but I find Basecamp to be quite good once I got the hang of it. ...
    Me thinks they improved it. I used it two weeks ago to pre-route some locations and all I had to do was enter the location name and voila, BaseCamp found it. (example: Kansas Chalk Monument). Used to be I had to use Google Maps to locate, then match the BaseCamp map to that location.
    BaseCamp's definitely gotten better with age.
    "Have BMW. Will Travel"

I'm glad to hear that you are getting better results with Basecamp, but there have been no recent changes to the program. There have been updates to Garmin Express, GPS firmware and maps, but not Basecamp. The current Windows version (4.6.2) was released over two years ago. The Mac version (4.6.3) is only a month newer. The Garmin rep at the SLC rally said that development has stopped and he had no information on any plans for a replacement.

I really have not found Basecamp to be buggy, just consistently hard to understand. It really needed official documentation explaining how the programmers expected it to be used. Instead we just have the results of multitudes of experimenters, presented in forums and YouTube. I guess if Garmin never stated how it is supposed to work, we have no grounds to say it does not work. I use it mainly as a database to store points, routes, and tracks, with a very occasional fine-tuning edit. Actual planning is much easier with Furkot. They have a very good Help section and many YouTube tutorials.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Thanks for the responses.

Thanks for the responses. While I am not computer illiterate, I am not comfortable trying to plan a 2 to 3 week trip on Basecamp and then have it fail. I have spent some time with Furkot and it seems to be a more user friendly application.

My trip would start in Connecticut, then briefly to an area north of Toronto and then west to various national parks. The trip would end in Denver and I would ship my bike back to Connecticut.

If there is anyone out there who is willing to help me plan my trip via telephone/computer I would be more than willing to pay for that help. But one thing I could not figure out with Furkot is whether or not I would get verbal commands via my Sirius radio.

I am a disabled Vietnam veteran (Purple Heart/Bronze Star) but not disabled enough to not be able to ride a motorcycle for long distances. As I get older, I realize that I better do this trip soon or it will never happen.