• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Exclusive BMW dealers in Oregon?

bmwdean

BMW MOA co-founder
Are there any exclusive BMW dealers in Oregon? That is, ones that sell only BMW motorcycles, and not other brands or other motorized products.

There is a dealer in Tigard (suburb of Portland) that is exclusive BMW for new bikes. That is "BMW Motorcycles of Western Oregon". I bought my R 1200 RT there and don't recall any non-BMW bikes other than a few used bikes taken on trade. The "new inventory" pages I see on their web site today are all BMW bikes. There is also a dealer in Eugene, "European Motorcycles of Western Oregon" that is mostly BMW. I see some Ducati bikes listed on their web site but other than that mostly BMW.

Hansen in Medford is a great dealership. Way back when, I needed a tire for my LT and they fit me right in to get it done and get me on my way back to Florida.

Unless one is in a major, major metropolitan setting with an aggressive online presence I can’t imagine trying to make it as a single-marque dealership in today’s motorcycle market. Wonder how many single-marque BMW dealerships are left in the entire USA?
:dunno
Best,
DG

Unless one is in a major, major metropolitan setting with an aggressive online presence I can’t imagine trying to make it as a single-marque dealership in today’s motorcycle market. Wonder how many single-marque BMW dealerships are left in the entire USA?
Best,
DG

Good question.

There is one in Arizona. Iron Horse Motorcycles in Tucson. My dealer. The others are in the Phoenix area and are the usual "motor sports" emporiums that I would rather avoid.

https://ironhorsemotorcycles.com/

I certainly am not a fan of mega-multi-motorsports shops with one BMW tech and three BMW bikes in the corner. But some of the very best service I have ever had has come from two-brand dealerships. And my very favorite dealership since 1984 is Engle Motors in Kansas City which is a two-brand dealership - BMW and Triumph. I have had good service while on the road from the dealerships in Grand Junction, Colorado and Beaver Dam, Wisconsin too: both BMW and Harley Davidson dealerships.

Ed. Note: I will soon chronicle a tale of excellence when it comes to BMW dealerships. I am simply awaiting all of the facts to fall into place before I tell the tale. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
I have had experiences much like Paul. I don't think a multi-brand dealer, by itself, means that service will be inferior to a dedicated brand dealer. In fact, I went to your dealer Jeff when I was looking to trade my RT a couple of years ago. The offer I got was insulting. I saved a couple of thousand of dollars by buying at one of the multi-brand dealers in AZ. I found a good, honest salesman, and have stuck with him as he moved between the two main multi-brand dealers. When I lived in CT, I dealt with Max BMW, a dedicated BMW dealer, so I do have experience with both types of dealers. I do mostly my own service, but the service I have had done by either MAX or the multi-brand dealers in AZ was equivalent. The sales experiences have come down to the salesman, not the dealer ownership.

I have had experiences much like Paul. I don't think a multi-brand dealer, by itself, means that service will be inferior to a dedicated brand dealer. In fact, I went to your dealer Jeff when I was looking to trade my RT a couple of years ago. The offer I got was insulting. I saved a couple of thousand of dollars by buying at one of the multi-brand dealers in AZ.

One man's "insulting" price could be another man's "fair" price, so I won't touch that. I have bought several new BMWs from Iron Horse over the years, with and without trade-ins, and I have never felt insulted. There are numerous Phoenix area riders who buy bikes from Iron Horse and even come the 100 miles from Phoenix to get their service there.

Some of you here have been happy with multi-brand dealers. I am willing to reconsider my thoughts on that and appreciate your opinions. I just had very bad experiences with a Wisconsin Harley/Harley/Harley/BMW dealer years ago when I lived in Madison, both in service and in purchases, and that has colored my feelings, possibly unfairly with respect to other dealers.

Last edited:
One man's "insulting" price could be another man's "fair" price, so I won't touch that. I have bought several new BMWs from Iron Horse over the years, with and without trade-ins, and I have never felt insulted. There are numerous Phoenix area riders who buy bikes from Iron Horse and even come the 100 miles from Phoenix to get their service there.

Some of you here have been happy with multi-brand dealers. I am willing to reconsider my thoughts on that and appreciate your opinions. I just had very bad experiences with a Wisconsin Harley/BMW dealer years ago when I lived in Madison, both in service and in purchases, and that has colored my feelings, possibly unfairly with respect to other dealers.

I am not sure whether Hansen's in Medford is exclusively a BMW dealer or not but they do have an excellent reputation dating back a few decades. I would not hesitate to go there.

Best,
DG

BMW Motorcycles of Richfield, a single-marque dealership, opened up in Minnesota last year.

BMW corporate-compliant single line dealerships all look the same. If you've seen one you've pretty much seen them all, like McDonalds. Some of the multi-line dealerships are interesting!

For something like final drive or clutch replacement I would want a certified BMW mechanic but for routine tasks like tire and oil changes even the single-line shops often have non-certified techs working those. Any multi-line dealer that sells BMWs will have the tools and experience for common maintenance. Why worry if you are not anticipating a major rebuild?

Some of you here have been happy with multi-brand dealers. I am willing to reconsider my thoughts on that and appreciate your opinions. I just had very bad experiences with a Wisconsin Harley/BMW dealer years ago when I lived in Madison, both in service and in purchases, and that has colored my feelings, possibly unfairly with respect to other dealers.

I have had good experience with two multi-brand dealers where Triumph, Ducati, and other European marques were in the mix. The very first BMW I bought was from a multi-line dealership that also handled H-D and a couple of Japanese marques. My experience there started me down the path of extensive self-service on my BMWs.

Best,
DG

You can't get any more exclusive than my dealer: they closed! Country Rode Motowerks in Fairport, NY is no more...

Best,
DG

Ozzie's BMW in Chico, California is a very successful small single-marque dealership w/ little online presence and must be the exception as you note. They have a large following in the greater area from southern Oregon to Reno to the Bay Area. So lucky to have them only 15m from my home. I was just there 2 days ago and 1/3 of their inventory was gone since the last time I was there about 3 weeks before because they sold several machines and this in the middle of winter--there's another drought going on so that has people looking for bikes it appears. I do wonder how they make it, and clearly their service department which gets accolades is what they have to depend on, so I take my '16 RT in for everything but simple fluid changes.

Hansen's in Medford only sells BMW. Western Oregon BMW sells Ducati and BMW, in both Tigard and Eugene. There is a new BMW dealer in Vancouver just across the bridge from Portland that only sells BMW, but I have not been there, so don't know about them.

Hansen's in Medford only sells BMW. Western Oregon BMW sells Ducati and BMW, in both Tigard and Eugene. There is a new BMW dealer in Vancouver just across the bridge from Portland that only sells BMW, but I have not been there, so don't know about them.

Thanks!

Craig Hansen sells not only BMW but Ducati as well as Triumph. He started out selling and servicing only BMW but that was in mid seventies. I bought an '86 K75C from Craig in '86. They know their s#&t.

Back