• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R75/5 air filter housing question?

10drum

The two piece air filter housing looks like there should a dowel to help keep the two side lined up. I have not been able to find one listed in the micro fish drawings.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 143
I don't remember a dowel. The long screw/bolt is what holds the sides together.

Shown here is the left section, but each half also has a little cutout on the bottom of the forward facing side that lines up with bolts on the engine block. The left side is to a transmission mounting bolt and metal tab. That helps line things up pretty well for the long through screw.

Screen Shot 2018-02-24 at 7.40.18 PM.png

Last edited:

I don’t think there is a dowel, but there is a place in both covers that looks like there “could” be one. I posted a photo of the left cover, the right has a blank space also??

Attachments

• D4948BE8-A452-4A74-82E3-3E37A6809D68.jpg
    D4948BE8-A452-4A74-82E3-3E37A6809D68.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 111
Possibly part of the casting process? Something for the mold to index on? Really, I don't think there's an issue.

Oh, I see now you are talking about a metal "pin" where the two halves meet. The pin would be about 1/2" long. I can't recall if mine has a pin or not. Probably it does.

Oh, I see now you are talking about a metal "pin" where the two halves meet. The pin would be about 1/2" long. I can't recall if mine has a pin or not. Probably it does.

I have never seen a pin at this location. Alignment is far from critical. A pin would only complicate matters. I I had a bike and it had a pin at this location I would remove it.

None

No pin or dowel in 75/5's , 90's , or r100rs's I've owned over the past 40 years. Keep it simple.

I bought a '71 R50/5 in 1984 with 724 miles on the OD in mint original condition. The air box had that dowel hole, with no dowel pin. Hope this helps. Barry. R75/5 Totally Cool.

Back