• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Universal I-am-OK-No-need-to-stop signal?

gotfog

Through osmosis, I figured out that if a motorcyclist stops, and/or dismounts on the side of a road, that most other motorcyclists will slow or stop, waiting for a signal that either all is good, or all is bad. I learned that a simple ‘thumbs up’ alerts the approaching drivers that all is ok. That seems to work well.

However, I stopped recently, and with back to traffic, and ear plugs in, I failed to notice an approaching car. I did not give the Thumbs-Up. The driver of the car was apparently a motorcyclist, and in good faith he stopped behind me. When I noticed him, he pulled along side, with window down, and asked if all was ok. It was, and I thanked him for his concern, and apologized for his unnecessary stop.

Here is the rub. He was somewhat perturbed in that I did not properly alert him. He mentioned something about putting my helmet on the ground, or some such thing. I was not aware of this technique, and don’t remember reading about this. I cannot recall any such advice in the past.

So, from the more experienced riders out there, is there some type of universal signal, other than the standard thumbs up, that “all is ok, and I am just stopping to smell the roses?” A signal that does not require my active participation?

always learning something new,
John

Last edited:
I actually thought that the helmet down behind the motorcycle meant you were OK! Anyway, I googled the phrase and found several references to the idea that helmet on ground behind the bike IS the signal to say you needed help.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/mythbusters-2-motorcycle-myths-busted.566982/

http://www.visordown.com/forum/general/helmet-by-rear-wheel-as-distress-signal
Interesting. I honestly do not recall where my helmet was. But I don't think i would put it on the ground, just on principal. Still, thanks for your search.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Sometime many years ago I learned that placing a helmet on the ground near the edge of the pavement was a recognized sign asking for help.

I agree that a universal signal would be helpful—I usually slow when approaching a stopped rider and wigwag thumb up/thumb down in hopes they will reply in kind, but usually the stopped rider just stares in return.

Helmet on ground behind bike as a distress signal was promoted in the 50s and 60s by a number of MC organizations, including AMA. Few among today’s MC community are aware of or recognize the signal, unfortunately. That could be changed if training organizations started spreading the word, and if organizations like MOA and RA and others chimed in.

BTW, LEOs are trained to stop behind a stopped vehicle so as to protect said vehicle and occupants. I’ve maintained for some time that it’s safest for me, as a civilian, to stop beyond the potentially disabled vehicle. If they are legit, I can walk back and assist and don’t have to swing around them to get back onto the roadway. If they are not legit my path to bug out is clear...

Best,
DG

Sometime many years ago I learned that placing a helmet on the ground near the edge of the pavement was a recognized sign asking for help.

Don't place it too close to the road, texters will run over it :)

Through osmosis, I figured out that if a motorcyclist stops, and/or dismounts on the side of a road, that most other motorcyclists will slow or stop, waiting for a signal that either all is good, or all is bad. I learned that a simple ‘thumbs up’ alerts the approaching drivers that all is ok. That seems to work well.

However, I stopped recently, and with back to traffic, and ear plugs in, I failed to notice an approaching car. I did not give the Thumbs-Up. The driver of the car was apparently a motorcyclist, and in good faith he stopped behind me. When I noticed him, he pulled along side, with window down, and asked if all was ok. It was, and I thanked him for his concern, and apologized for his unnecessary stop.

Here is the rub. He was somewhat perturbed in that I did not properly alert him. He mentioned something about putting my helmet on the ground, or some such thing. I was not aware of this technique, and don’t remember reading about this. I cannot recall any such advice in the past.

So, from the more experienced riders out there, is there some type of universal signal, other than the standard thumbs up, that “all is ok, and I am just stopping to smell the roses?” A signal that does not require my active participation?

always learning something new,
John
Geesh, people don't even know to flash their lights anymore at oncoming traffic to warn of hazard or LEO. How can anyone expect people would know these more advanced concepts?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

We old pharts all know that the helmet on the ground behind the bike means "Please help".
Add this to the mass of things we need to pass on to the newer riders.

To answer the original question (how to passively signal "I am OK") - not that I've ever heard of or seen.

Variations of a "live" OK may be one or two thumbs up, a wave-on (which may be vague, and confused with "please pull over"), holding up your camera ("I'm just taking a picture"), miming taking a drink... depends on the situation.

"LEO" warning is a quick left forefinger tap to the side of the head...

I have never heard of this concept. While always willing to help, the last time I did a circle back to check on someone, it was kind if "iffy". There was no plate on the bike and the operators story sounded fishy.
I don't know what to say other than "go with your gut".
OM

Have always used the helmet on traffic side of road as a distress signal, since no antenna to tie my hanky on or a hood to lift we were taught as well:laugh

Also thought the tap on top of helmet was the signal for a decaled or stealth car:whistle. A point to the helmet side was THINK about what you are doing or did:dunno

I'll typically slow and try to make eye contact with a lifted palm up move if they look confused and typically get a wave or a thumbs up.Sometimes they are just taking a break.
If I see someone kneeled over with a head in the engine or tire ,I'll stop almost everytime to ask if help needed regardless of brand...cause I have been that guy at least once.Never have been concerned about a hijack...who wants a BMW?

That's how I remember it.

That is correct.
On the ground to the left of the rear wheel.

Except for old timers, no one would know anyway.
So flailing your arms over your head should get someones attention. :)

I bought a BMW System 3 helmet in Italy in the 1990's. The protective cover that came with it has a large reflective triangle on it. It is meant to be used when you place the helmet on the road to signal that you need assistance.

These come in 2” reflective decals that go very nicely on the back of helmets.
CF45AF11-48A2-4ECD-88BB-0CD0365DEAD6.jpg

Or on the front of one
2DEF5F91-F3C0-4D2D-B79D-0F6D6345E8E9.jpg

I stop for historical signs. Yesterday a gal stopped asking if I needed help. I had left my helmet too close to the bike I guess. Yes that is the signal fo assistance, but I always put my helmet on the ground unless its a gutter. I have learned that gravity always wins and when you come back it will be on the ground.
I saw the example just months ago on a windy day and the poor guy had a very nice looking helmet before tumbling from his seat.

Back