• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Headed to West Coast from Ohio

meyersc

Have some time on my hands (roughly 3 weeks) and headed west in beginning of March...brrr I am pretty comfortable with my route up to LA/TX border.

Looking at coming into Texas on US 84 and taking it across to Abilene and catching US 380 on the northwest side into NM. Looking at taking US 380 into US 60 then SR260 in Show Low, AZ. Back onto US 60 NW of Phoenix, working my way up to SR62 and SR247 in Ca up to Barstow. My eventual destination is Santa Barbara, which I was looking a reaching by way of Bakersfield (SR58) then south SR33.

Looking for a some input or wisdom any of this since I am unfamiliar with the areas, especially with respect to any mountain areas in NM, AZ and Ca. I do not mind riding in the cold, but would like to avoid/minimize time in below freezing areas. I generally like to steer clear of interstate.

Thanks...Chad

This time of year many of the routes through the Sierra Nevada mountains, such as through Yosemite National Park are closed due to snow. It's snowing in portions of up there as I'm writing this. From Barstow you need to find a route on the western part of the Sierra's and should prob. skip Hwy 395 on the eastern side. Which is a shame, because you'll miss some very nice riding. Caltrans (CA State Transportation) has a nice (and free) phone app, which is also linked to CHP dispatch. So you can get real time traffic, road closure, weather closures, accidents, etc.

There are plenty of routes from Barstow to where you're heading, so I'll let you decide on what you want to see. I'm sure there will be plenty of suggestions coming soon.

Whatever route you pick, keep an eye out for the weather. My friend in TN almost got her house remodeled by tornado's. She lives in Clarksville.

Thanks

Thanks for the input. I know its a bit early for this, but, recently retired and have the time now. Want to take advantage of the time I have before someone goes and offers a me job. : )

Back