• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Burnt Rubber Smell

Hi Forum Experts,
Last night I started up my bike, kept in a heated garage in MI, to put on a trailer to take to a new house. There was a strong smell of burning rubber right after starting. Shut the bike off and tried to find the culprit, but could not. Started it back up and the smell didn't get worse and never did find the source. Anyone have any ideas one what might be rubbing on start up after a couple months of storage? Did a quick search but didn't find anything, or wasn't searching properly. 50/50 on those two.
Thanks,
Jerry

What model?

First thought is alternator belt...but just a WAG. Old belt, loose belt or varmint and nesting material.

Burnt rubber smell

What model?

First thought is alternator belt...but just a WAG. Old belt, loose belt or varmint and nesting material.

It's a 2010 R1200RT. I checked for varmits and nests, didn't see any. I'll look for some worn spots on the belt and check the tension. Thanks!

It's a 2010 R1200RT. I checked for varmits and nests, didn't see any. I'll look for some worn spots on the belt and check the tension. Thanks!

Belt shoud be fine, more of an issue on Oilheads as the tension is not adjustable on Hex/Camheads.
How many miles on that belt?

I get a smell like that after it has sat for a while after a rain ride. It is road crud with rubber particles burning off. Any chance your last ride before parking was on wet roads? Just a thought.

Burnt rubber smell

I get a smell like that after it has sat for a while after a rain ride. It is road crud with rubber particles burning off. Any chance your last ride before parking was on wet roads? Just a thought.

I really don't remember if it was a rain ride. I do know it got a complete wash and wax before it got parked though, maybe it rinsed some stuff onto the belt. Now that you say that, I do remember smelling that after rain rides a little bit. Nothing to this extreme though.

Jerry

Pull off the seat and bodywork to examine the wiring, especially if you have any non-factory accessories - maybe a wire chafed or melted.

I really don't remember if it was a rain ride. I do know it got a complete wash and wax before it got parked though, maybe it rinsed some stuff onto the belt. Now that you say that, I do remember smelling that after rain rides a little bit. Nothing to this extreme though.

Jerry

On mine the smell is from the engine and exhaust area as it heats up, not necessarily the belt area. It goes away after 5 minutes or so and isn't too strong so I don't worry about it. In fact, my last ride I put the bike away wet as I it started to rain just before I got home. I bet it smells next time I fire it up.

Stinky

By chance did you tow your bike right before storage? Sometimes a towed vehicle will pick up rubber debris from vehicle and road. First time ridden will result in rubber stink.

Hi Forum Experts,
Last night I started up my bike, kept in a heated garage in MI, to put on a trailer to take to a new house. There was a strong smell of burning rubber right after starting. Shut the bike off and tried to find the culprit, but could not. Started it back up and the smell didn't get worse and never did find the source. Anyone have any ideas one what might be rubbing on start up after a couple months of storage? Did a quick search but didn't find anything, or wasn't searching properly. 50/50 on those two.
Thanks,
Jerry

Lots of good suggestions guys. I'll bet taking the covers off probably this weekend and let you know what I find.

Thanks!
Jerry
Kalamazoo MI
2010 R1200RT

Rear shock

Mine had a smell like that when the rear shock started leaking fluid slowly onto the exhaust. Luckily once it actually made smoke which directed me to the source.

Jerry

My ‘16 RT has the same smell after riding in the rain or washing. It goes away after a short ride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Burnt rubber smell

What model?

Turns out it might have just been dirt on the belt. Belt looks fine and isn't that old. No sign of wear and hasn't happened again. We'll see.
Thanks for all your suggestions!
Jerry

Back