• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Helmet

My neotec is 5.5 years old looking at replacement, what do you think of this option? IMG_0350.jpg

$10 head?

Don’t buy it! I hear they’re going on sale at a heavily discounted price in April. Sale starts on the first day of the month I think.:wow

If you have to solicit opinions on this, it is definitely for you. Make sure you read the Darwin clause in the fine print.......

Free shipping

Free shipping also! I looked at these when I saw a $39.99 version which looked like the built brand from cycle gear, I mean it's got a built in drop down sun shield I am sure it underwent rigorous testing :banghead

I am tempted to buy one - not to wear - to take apart and see what it is actually made of and see if it actually might meet DOT standards. But I probably won't because I am too busy anyway.

I just looked at a couple of these on ebay and actual cost appears to be around $40 once a size is entered.

Although I personally prefer Shoei or Arai if these helmets really are DOT approved that's a good thing for potential new riders.
Sourcing from low-cost producers lowers the cost barriers and makes it easier for them to get started. Klim status can come later.

That philosophy can be applied to motorcycles as well as safety gear. It doesn't have to be expensive to be fun or safe.

Interesting data on helmet cost/safety:

https://blm.io/blog/motorcycle-helmet-safety-price/

Last edited:
I am tempted to buy one - not to wear - to take apart and see what it is actually made of and see if it actually might meet DOT standards. But I probably won't because I am too busy anyway.

The fake D.O.T. Stickers used to be in this price area
When I replace my neotec I will probably spend $10 to get one of these show the wife the ad and the helmet, show her a neotec 2 ad she will ask is the neotec way better I will say yes but I am saving $700 she will say I am a dumb ass buy me the neotec 2 for my birthday present ( neotec 2 out early April birthday end of march ) and in the end I will have a new helmet and one to take apart, other option if she reads this I might end up with $10 helmet placed where the sun don't shine. Sometimes you gotta take chances in life.

Back