• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Parking in chicago for Route 66

217don

My wife and I are planning an end to end trip on Route 66 starting in Chicago (Adams and Michigan, I think). We'd stay in a hotel in or near the Loop and leave Chicago early on a Sunday morning to miss most traffic. I have been trying to find a place to park the bike overnight near Michigan and Whacker but all the garages I've found won't take a bike. Anybody know of a garage there that will accept a motorcycle?

I don't know that area of Chicago.
But I would approach it like this:
Plan my approach so the night before I would stop maybe 2 hours out from that location. Then, on the start morning I would ride in the two hours and then start the trip at that time.
What that would do for me is, cheaper accommodations, more secure or safer area, I would be there 2 hours into the day, rather than early a.m. or late night or evening.
dc

My wife and I are planning an end to end trip on Route 66 starting in Chicago (Adams and Michigan, I think). We'd stay in a hotel in or near the Loop and leave Chicago early on a Sunday morning to miss most traffic. I have been trying to find a place to park the bike overnight near Michigan and Whacker but all the garages I've found won't take a bike. Anybody know of a garage there that will accept a motorcycle?

I can't give you any specifics re: Chicago, but I've used this approach on other trips: Choose a hotel, contact the hotel and let them know you're arriving via motorcycle. Ask where they recommend you park it safely. If they can't recommend a safe location, move to the next hotel. This approach has worked for me in many parts of the country (even at some hotels that have stated "No Motorcycles allowed in Parking Garage". Some have even waved the parking fee for, an added bonus. It's also a given that the hotel/parking facility assumes no risk for my motorcycle. So far, in over 50 years of riding/40 years of touring, I've never had a problem.

Good luck! (Any BMWMOA members live near the loop?)

I live near that area. I keep my bike in a garage and know that others park there. Pm me for location. It is not cheap, however.

I don't know that area of Chicago.
But I would approach it like this:
Plan my approach so the night before I would stop maybe 2 hours out from that location. Then, on the start morning I would ride in the two hours and then start the trip at that time.
What that would do for me is, cheaper accommodations, more secure or safer area, I would be there 2 hours into the day, rather than early a.m. or late night or evening.
dc

When my Bride and I started our cross country Route66 adventure we stayed in a State Park outside of Chicago........but then we camp, and our bike is beside us all night long.....
David13 has the right idea, its what I would do if we were the Motel the trip

Taking the 'Connie?' :thumb

Depending on the locale, outside parking in a conspicuous area is often more 'mischief-proof' than inside a parking structure.

I've had some experience in that part of Chicago - will PM you with a plan.

Enjoy the adventure!

Try InterPark, they're one of the largest parking garage operaters in NA and based in Chicago. I'm sure you're familiar with their "iParkit" signs:
ls.jpg

This is their InterPark location at Adams & Wabash. At 17 E Adams, right on Route-66, one block from the "Begin Route 66" sign. Call them and check 1-877-436-7275

Back