• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K1100RS possible purchase

sdcr

Hello all, new to the forum. I have been riding airhead Moto Guzzi's most of the last 35 years. I also owned a few BMW airheads, and currently an oil head, R1100RS.
I am finding an interest in older K bikes, like the K75 S, and the K 1100RS. There is a very clean 1994 K1100RS for sale with a bout 27000 original miles. Mature owner, that has maintained the bike. The only critical maintenance that has not been done, is spline lube. The ABS is funtioning. Aesthetically, about a 9-9.5 on a scale of 10, no accident history. Includes hard bags
So, I am looking for opinions about this iteration of the K1100 RS. I know that they are hot in warm weather, but that is the extent of my K bike knowledge. I welcome any input from this group. Thank you in advance.

I have a 1993 K1100RS. The differences between mine and your are that yours has the more advanced ABS2 brakes and a more advanced engine control computer. K's are an acquired taste, but are getting cheap enough to try one on a whim. I have sometimes thought that a K75S would have been a smarter choice for me, but I like the extra growl. It is a long bike and the reach to the bars is a bit long. I have an R100RS with K1100RS bars, and because of the length of the tank, the K is more of a stretch.

The heat can be beat. Google the Johnny Blanket for some clues to how. Fuel coolers are also helpful, Mine is down now for restoration now and spline lube and mitigating the engine heat are part of the scope. I am replacing all rubber bits and sealed bearings, and also removing the ABS because the ABS1 is slow enough that my own responses are quicker.

Overall, I am enjoying it but am glad I bought it cheap.

Thank you for the contributions, and also beemerphile for the "Johnny Blanket" tip.

And yes, the 94 I'm looking at is sort of a " whim" purchase. When these bikes were new, I never found them interesting, but lately, their looks, high mileage capability and over all competence very attractive. Not to mention, that the few that I have seen on the market are quite reasonably ( cheap) priced. The 94 that I'm looking at is in VGC, and available for less than $3000. I've spent almost that much on one repair of my old R1100RS.

Thank you for the contributions, and also beemerphile for the "Johnny Blanket" tip.

And yes, the 94 I'm looking at is sort of a " whim" purchase. When these bikes were new, I never found them interesting, but lately, their looks, high mileage capability and over all competence very attractive. Not to mention, that the few that I have seen on the market are quite reasonably ( cheap) priced. The 94 that I'm looking at is in VGC, and available for less than $3000. I've spent almost that much on one repair of my old R1100RS.

that sounds like a great deal on a great bike. go for it. Brick K's are wonderful rides and are easy to work on. i would add a K1100S to my fleet, but K's already seem to be breeding in my shop...

The K1100RS is probably my favorite overall BMW. I've owned about 6-8 of them (lost count). Many were rescue bikes needing some TLC before moving to a new owner. I avoid the 1993s because of their ABS I. And you're right, they can now be had for under $3k.
The bikes do everything well though they are obviously not the most nimble of bikes due to their length/wheelbase. And they toss off more heat than the later K12s. Ride one slowly with low fuel level on a hot summer day and you can burn your thighs on the aluminum tank.
They excel at covering distance. Their hardbags hold more than the K12RS's, and their fuel mileage is better. They are also lighter.
Problem areas I frequently come across are leaking master cylinders, front and rear. An easy rebuild. I always check the exhaust manifold bolts for seizure. They are often frozen or the studs sheared off. If they're good, give them a good coating of never-seize.
Give the exhaust system a good look over. Cracks are common at the four-into-one point, and at the rear hanger behind the tranny.
Fork seals will eventually leak.
If you're at all handy, these are all easy fixes.
Good luck. If you bite, show us a picture.

Thanks for all of the well thought out the advice, and the welcome to this forum.

Regarding k1200 comparisons, it seems that locally, we have a plethora to choose from. Several priced at about the same as the k1100rs. I personally prefer the earlier 1100 models, for their size and overall looks.

Right now, I only have pictures and a description, as the bike is about 3 hundred miles away. I am considering doing a drive and ride back, while my wife enjoys driving my Miata home.

The one I am looking at, again a 1994 k1100 RS, is a medium red metallic. Does anyone here know what BMW calls this color? It also has a mild pinstripe on the top tank edges, as well as parts of the fairing. Owner thinks that it is factory pin striping, I'm not so sure.

John

John, the 1994 BMW sales brochure doesn't list any color info. The 95 edition lists two reds offered. The standard red is called Mystic Red Metallic #694. They also list special edition models, including a K-RS in Marrakesh Red #658. The SE model also featured a black strip on the belly pay with the model designation spelled out. My guess would be that the Mystic Red was likely the carry-over color from the previous year.
There should be decal under the seat that spells out the color specs.
I can't recall ever seeing any pinstrips on these bikes that weren't added by someone other than the factory.

The one I am looking at, again a 1994 k1100 RS, is a medium red metallic. Does anyone here know what BMW calls this color? It also has a mild pinstripe on the top tank edges, as well as parts of the fairing. Owner thinks that it is factory pin striping, I'm not so sure.

John

Is this the color? I don't remember pin strips on that model, but I could be wrong.

K1100RS%20Mystic%20Red%20Suart%20(1).jpg

Lee,
Yes, that is precisely the color, and that is exactly the same K1100 RS. Other than two tone pinstripes, this is a virtual twin to the one I am interested in. Current owner believes that the PS are factory. Once I buy the machine, I may remove them. The pinstripes are done tastefully, I'm just not into them.

Is this the color? I don't remember pin strips on that model, but I could be wrong.

K1100RS%20Mystic%20Red%20Suart%20(1).jpg

Pretty bike.
I recall that color being used, in 1993 I think, combined with a brass/bronze color on the wheels and visible mechanical parts. It was a sweet combination.

The one that I'm looking at has silver swing arm and wheels. Engine and transmission are black.

My 2cents worth is buy a K75 or a K1100. I think the K100 are too hot. And I have had three K100, yeah I never learn, but the K75 is smoother and the K1100 is not as hot and similar engine. Spine Lube is an all day project or a whole weekend if you have never done one

Back