• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

repair list

kthflieger

I need to tap the group brain trust!!
I'm picking up another ride - this time a 2007 R1200GS. From everyone's experience what are the mechanical hot topics for this GS?

Thanks for your thoughts and advice!

Last edited:
I'll add year and model to your thread title shortly. It helps with current viewers and in future searches.It also allows the title to drive similar threads at bottom of page.Right now "wish" is the driver

I had a 07, have a dealer run VIN to see if all recall campaigns and service bulletins were adressed
Not sure what year your RT is, but if that era, similar issues.

The rear wheel flange should be upgraded to steel from aluminum- campaign

The fuel pump controller ( FPC) should be black anodized and not bare aluminum. Sits on top left fuel pump housing and is visible (not a campaign, needs to be changed before it fails)

Fuel pump housing where quick connects are should have reinforcing rings where fittings screw in- campaign

The only major issues I can think of at moment.

There was also a recall on the brake lines for the RT.
I don't know if it's the same for the GS

Doesn’t it have a fuel strip like my 07 RT? Have fun with that. Under warranty for 12 years. On my sixth one now.

I had an 07 RT and service an 07 RT that belongs to a friend. No fuel strip or other failures on either. The recalls and service campaigns I can remember are: ECU reflash to make it run better on 87 octane, reroute front brake line, ignition antenna ring replacement, rear wheel flange replacement, fuel connectors reinforcement or replacement.

I had an '07 GS, only bike I ever bought brand-new. I had it for 3 years and about 33K miles, in which time the only thing that went wrong was the fuel strip, which only got one replacement- I forget at how many miles, but it was good ever since.

Some '07s had final drive issues, but by now those should all be sorted and I wouldn't worry if the bike has any decent amount of miles on it.

One mod I did in the name of safety was replace the plastic quick-disconnects on the fuel lines with metal ones. While the occurrence is rare, those can fail and at least one fire has resulted.

Beyond those items, nothing I can think of to worry about. Maintenance is easy if you're a DIY-type. It's a great bike, so have a lot of fun with it!

Other than any outstanding recalls, they are prone to the ABS motor issue ($250 repair plus labor on your end) and the fuel strip issue.

Back