• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Warm & Safe Heat Layer Shirt Review

moshe_levy

All-

Winter gear testing continues: Here's my new review of Warm & Safe's Heat Layer Shirt. Can this snug-fitting garment replace the traditional heated jacket liner? Tune in to find out!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gp2eA5ECZlA" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

-MKL

All-

Winter gear testing continues: Here's my new review of Warm & Safe's Heat Layer Shirt. Can this snug-fitting garment replace the traditional heated jacket liner? Tune in to find out!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gp2eA5ECZlA" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

-MKL

My only concern here... which was not addressed by Mosche, is the need for cleaning. If you're wearing it as a true base layer its going to need every day washing, isn't it? I'd think a medium weight wicking T shirt or long sleeve T might be a better alternative. Your thoughts on this Mosche?

My only concern here... which was not addressed by Mosche, is the need for cleaning. If you're wearing it as a true base layer its going to need every day washing, isn't it? I'd think a medium weight wicking T shirt or long sleeve T might be a better alternative. Your thoughts on this Mosche?

The instructions say washing is to be done by hand in cold water, and the garment line dried - no machines, in other words. I took to wearing a thin undershirt underneath it, just to extend the periods between washing. I washed it a few times - no ill effects.

-MKL

Moshe, great review, Thanks. I assume the Heat Layer Shirt is also wind blocking (should your jacket be a bit breathable)?

Moshe, great review, Thanks. I assume the Heat Layer Shirt is also wind blocking (should your jacket be a bit breathable)?

Hello-

I really can't be sure of that. I see you're in SoCal - lucky you! - so you don't really understand how the rest of us are suffering. My testing regimen for this was single digits and teens. I was wearing this, an overlayer, and my heavy winter coat (Streetguard 3) so I am not really sure if it's wind blocking or not. We are nowhere near being able to wear breathable jackets here yet, to test if this thing is wind blocking in and of itself. The best I can tell you is the material is like that stretchy stuff you see in men's athletic gear (like Under Armor.)

-MKL

I really appreciate your relaxed and informative reviews Mosh.

About the Warm & Safe Heat Layer Shirt...Don't you really find all that heavy zip cord wiring and stuff uncomfortable?
Especially that it is a shirt next to your dermis...

I used several brand vests and liners and never did like all the wire bulk. But I'm old an finnicky ;) .
My go to now is the Gerbing Microwire GYDE vest which is bearable.
I'm still looking for a garment that is invisible, wireless and functional.

But then again I live in SoCal...

I really appreciate your relaxed and informative reviews Mosh.

About the Warm & Safe Heat Layer Shirt...Don't you really find all that heavy zip cord wiring and stuff uncomfortable?
Especially that it is a shirt next to your dermis...

I used several brand vests and liners and never did like all the wire bulk. But I'm old an finnicky ;) .
My go to now is the Gerbing Microwire GYDE vest which is bearable.
I'm still looking for a garment that is invisible, wireless and functional.

But then again I live in SoCal...

Thank you. For the record, living in SoCal completely disqualifies you from discussing heated gear! (That's jealousy talking... Because when you're freezing your ass off in 14 degrees, heat is a godsend, bulky wiring or no!) This shirt was comfy, and looked bulkier than it felt, but I do agree a Gen 2 version should use a "microwire" type heating element which would eliminate the wiring "look."

-MKL

Back