• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2011 R1200RT Brake pads

DBCasey

Enjoy the ride!
As a Beemer guy, I like to think that I do my due diligence any farkles/aftermarket items before purchasing. I scan the forums and Google as well as the next person. For some reason, I'm not having much luck on finding information on brake pads for my trusty steed.

EBC and Galfer are the two names that I most frequently come across. Lots of folks talk about the EBC HH pads, and I read where EBC has a new semi-sintered VPad, but again, I can't find much information on them. I can only find a PN for the rear of my particular BMW.

I don't know much about the Galfer brand, but I do remember seeing Galfer rotors/pads in an ON article on a GS that was going around the world. I'm not looking for any track type/extreme use pads, just typical one-up riding.

I'd appreciate any advice on what aftermarket pads you use/prefer. I hope I don't start another "oil brand" discussion!

Thanks in advance,
DBC

on my 13RT i have only used EBC HH pads and like the feel and feedback....

my experiences with Galfer is only on V-Stroms and KLRs....both bad...poor fit and even worse feel and feedback...

i highly recommend the EBC brand for street bikes...

just my two cents worth...

wyman

on my 13RT i have only used EBC HH pads and like the feel and feedback....

my experiences with Galfer is only on V-Stroms and KLRs....both bad...poor fit and even worse feel and feedback...

i highly recommend the EBC brand for street bikes...

just my two cents worth...

wyman

EBC HH :thumb

Recently installed EBC HH front pads on 2010RT. No issues with fit and installation, slipped right in as expected. Took the opportunity to do a fluid flush also.

In the miles run so far no noise, vibration or push back feel in the brake lever at all. They get the :thumb for installation and break in.

GD

I bought the bike used, 17K km on and believe with OEM pads on. The front rim would get dirty shortly after wash from brake pad powder.
Had EBC HH Sintered on previous bikes, no issues, so tried them on the RT. Just as good as the factory pads, but as a plus, front rim stays clean!

DBC,
I have had good results with Carbone Lorraine A3 front pads from Beemerboneyard.
Stick with OEM BMW rear pads for long rotor life.
Had to replace a rear rotor ($$$) on the '09 RT after using aftermarket sintered metal overly aggressive pads.

another option, any advice?

Carbone Lorraine A3+ pads.

While I'm looking up the best price on EBC HH pads, I figured why not get some knowledge on the Carbone Lorraine pads as well.

DBC

Brake pads for 2007 RT : Brembo

I once looked at the back of the pads and there was the Brembo logo... they made the pads for BMW but not the same as theirs. In 2008, Motorrad, a german magazine, tested several brands of pads on a couple of BMWs 1200 GS (in their edition 14 issue) and rated the Brembo and Lucas first. The wear test was done over 4300 km.

Test Candidates and score:
- BMW part.-no. 34117683064 (OEM) : 63 points
- Braking 892 CM 55 : 80 points
- Brembo 07 BB 26 A : 83 points
- Carbone Lorraine 1101 SBK 5 : 70 points
- EBC FA 335 HH : 73 points
- Ferodo FDB 21 25 ST : 78 points
- Lucas MCB 748 SV : 83 points

Easy decision : I have been getting red Brembo pads for my RT for a few years now, I love them. Front : 07BB26.SA, rear: 07BB28.SP

I also got Brembo Serie Oro when the time came to replace all three3 disks. Front: 68.B407.07, rear : 68.B407.C0

Way cheaper than original parts. And perfect fit. They may not be easy to ffind, however.

RA

They may not be easy to find, however.

RA

My experience is these Brembo parts have to come from over the pond and when straight from Brembo the shipping is extravagant.

Any retailers/distributors in the US you know about???

GD

Brembo rotors and pads

Just took delivery of a set of front Brembo Serie Oro rotors + Brembo sinter red pads + new BMW mounting screws from Moto-Bins in the UK.
Price (due to Brexit currency devaluation?) including 2-day FedEx delivery time was very good.
Original rotors are now below minimum thickness at 69k miles. Will wait till current pads wear down to replace all.

Back