• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hill assist. 2017 GSA

jpl77

Morning,
I was final able to get my bike in for the front fork recall. As well, I pushed the dealership to update the software. Previously, I've had difficulties with the service department so I'm happy to get stuff done, albeit a few months late.

Anyways, I've "heard" the GSA gets Hill Assist, but I'm not sure if that's a rumor or fact. From what I've read it comes on the 2018 for sure, but the 2017 needed the software update.

If yes for 2017, I guess my software version doesn't have it enabled, or I don't know the proper combination if brakes, clutch lever and gear selections to activate it.

If you aware, can you set me straight? Thank you

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

My understanding is that, unless your bike was originally delivered with this option, you have to pay to have your bike retrofitted with Hill Start Control. The dealer has to obtain some sort of software unlock code from BMW, and that's, in part, what you're paying for. This is what it's called:

K51 (R 1200 GS Adventure) R 1200 GS Adve. (0A02, 0A12) Retrofit Hill Start Control.

It's p/n 77238536874, "Enabling code retrof.drive-off assistant". This should give you something to start with, when talking to your dealer.

As to which models years are able to be retrofitted, I've heard tell of owners of 2014 GSAs having it done.

Last edited:
Run your VIN through one of the free decoders available on the internet, like http://www.bimmer.work/. That will tell you which options your bike was equipped with when it left the factory. If Hill Assist was included but following the directions in the manual does not work, an appointment with the dealer is in order.

My understanding is that hill assist is an option. If you do not have it, and if your bike is capable of having it, then it will cost you north of $200 to have a dealer activate it. It seems to be hit or miss as to whether the 2017s are hill assist capable. A dealer can tell you what your bike has. I have a 2017 GSA and I do not have it activated (and will not pay to do so), Annie has a 2017 GS and her bike has it activated.

This video shows how to use it, although the bike is equipped with a TFT dash.

My understanding is that hill assist is an option. If you do not have it, and if your bike is capable of having it, then it will cost you north of $200 to have a dealer activate it.

I can't remember the exact cost but when I checked with my dealer it was over $200 to activate Hill Start and over $500 for corning ABS.
This was for 2016 R1200RS.

The video and BMW excerpt neglected to mention that:

1) the system is also deactivated by turning off the ignition

2) it is also useful for holding the bike on a downhill orientation as well

3) it can be activated/deactivated with a firm application of either the front or *rear* brake

The video and BMW excerpt neglected to mention that:

1) the system is also deactivated by turning off the ignition

2) it is also useful for holding the bike on a downhill orientation as well

3) it can be activated/deactivated with a firm application of either the front or *rear* brake

In practice and on a steep incline it takes a more than the usual application of throttle and more slipping of the clutch to overcome the hold the system has on the bike. Before I learned to adapt, I'd killed the engine a few times.

Last edited:
I stalled it a couple of times as well while getting acquainted with it, and once last year when I got lazy.

I find you don't really need to slip the clutch any more than for normal take-offs, if you simply adopt a moderately stronger / more aggressive launch - similar to taking away from a light briskly. You want more throttle but don't need to slip the clutch any more than for normal if get used to a brisk launch. YMMV

I had it on my RTW. I tried using it to help me start on a hill because it was there but pretty quickly decided I could do a better job "manually" than with automagic assistance. OTOH amazing how many times it turned out to be handy, just not for starting on a hill. For example, it's nice to engage it at a light - I could put both feet on the ground and fiddle with gloves or enter a destination or just rest both hands.

I was kind of disappointed it couldn't be retrofitted to the '16 GSA but I figured I'd done fine without it before I bought the RTW, and I could tough it out again :)

I use it a lot just to hold the bike on any incline. I like to give a quick squeeze to the front brake to release it, then make a normal ride off with the clutch/throttle.

When I stop on an incline (up or down) and plan to shut off the engine, I engage the HSC, put it in first, kill the engine (which releases the HSC) and release the clutch. No trauma...no drama. A good thing to have most of the time.

BMW VIN Decoder by www.etk.cc
========================================
Vehicle information
========================================
VIN: WB10A0205HZ915151
Type code: 0A02
Model: R1200GS (EUR)
E-F-R series: K51
Series: R
Type:
Steering:
Doors: 0