• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'04 R1150R Left System Case Repair

bobcatbiker

Recently I was riding with some buddies, and in mid-ride, my left system case decided to take a different route than what I was planning. Fortunately, most of the damage was to the outside cover, which was easily replaceable through an eBay auction. After replacing the cover, when I went to put the case back on the bike, I found that it wasn't my error in not latching the case properly that caused the case to fall off, it was that the latch that clamps the case to the bike was broken off. After a long internet search, since it appears that simply replacing the clamp isn't possible, I came up empty in finding either a used "multi-function box" for my existing inner half, or a full inner half with a "multi-function box". Anyone run into this problem? Any solutions other than zip-tying the case to the bike or buying a $400 new replacement for the case's inner half including the "multi-function box"?

Recently I was riding with some buddies, and in mid-ride, my left system case decided to take a different route than what I was planning. Fortunately, most of the damage was to the outside cover, which was easily replaceable through an eBay auction. After replacing the cover, when I went to put the case back on the bike, I found that it wasn't my error in not latching the case properly that caused the case to fall off, it was that the latch that clamps the case to the bike was broken off. After a long internet search, since it appears that simply replacing the clamp isn't possible, I came up empty in finding either a used "multi-function box" for my existing inner half, or a full inner half with a "multi-function box". Anyone run into this problem? Any solutions other than zip-tying the case to the bike or buying a $400 new replacement for the case's inner half including the "multi-function box"?

Try all the bike dismantlers you can find, starting with Beemer Boneyard and Rescycle.

If you have the broken piece a good aluminum welder can repair it.
The part must be removed to weld it.
I have repaired a couple that way.
Otherwise you are stuck replacing the entire assy. as you have already found out.
Not cheap unfortunately.

After a long internet search, since it appears that simply replacing the clamp isn't possible, I came up empty in finding either a used "multi-function box" for my existing inner half, or a full inner half with a "multi-function box". Anyone run into this problem? Any solutions other than zip-tying the case to the bike or buying a $400 new replacement for the case's inner half including the "multi-function box"?

You can just buy a new multifunction box, right? Still available last time I checked, and cheaper than a case half.

Back