• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New bikes age fast

Thanks Ed. I'm completely aware of these things, which is why I can say w/ confidence I'll likely not drop the bike as I've committed to keeping up the habits required to succeed. Now if suddenly become dizzy or faint, all bets are off of course, but that would be true on an F800GT or an R1200RT. If I ever drop the bike it will not be the end of anyone's world, including my own. I'm certain plenty of riders don't commit to what it takes. Moreover, it will not be brute strength the prevents a drop since I have no brute strength outside of reasonably strong legs--it's 100% technique and committing to it, and that is a conscious choice.

Here's a hypothetical for you Ed: if someone walked up to you and said, 'I'll give you 1000 to 1 odds you will drop your RT sometime during the next 100K miles. If you don't drop the bike, I'll give you $100,000. If you do drop the bike, you give me $100.' Would you take the bet? If so, would it change in any way how you manage low speed riding? IOW, do you always commit to maximizing risk reduction for dropping your bike?

Without a doubt! You bet I do. Where I park, what gas pump I pull up to, how I part at a gas pump, what toll lane I enter, how I enter the toll lane, where in the lane I plant my foot, and on and on. BUT ... I still know it is possible to drop my bike at any time. No matter how careful. I have seen it happen in my short 25 years of riding. And by some very skilled riders. You can only plan so much but there is always something you don't plan for.

It is similar to the saying about having a bike accident ... there are those who have had one and those who will (or something like that)

Without a doubt! You bet I do. Where I park, what gas pump I pull up to, how I part at a gas pump, what toll lane I enter, how I enter the toll lane, where in the lane I plant my foot, and on and on. BUT ... I still know it is possible to drop my bike at any time. No matter how careful. I have seen it happen in my short 25 years of riding. And by some very skilled riders. You can only plan so much but there is always something you don't plan for.

It is similar to the saying about having a bike accident ... there are those who have had one and those who will (or something like that)

I know it sounds like I don't, like I'm way too overconfident, but I understand it, completely. It will, of course, be the unexpected that leads to a drop. I only make the comments publicly to give me something to try to aim for.

I dropped the F800GT on the first day of using new riding boots w/ a tall toe box for my diabetic hammer toes: it caused me to manifest a significant drop risk that had existed all along but that I never recognized, and that never materialized until I had the new boots. So those things happen, the unexpected, unforeseen risks. So does this relate to curb weight? Nope, I dropped the 470lb machine as just as I would have the 604lb machine, and very likely a 350lb machine as well were this event to happen as it did to me. That drop caused me learn more about low speed management techniques, and as well practicing them always when riding.

Moreover, I couldn't get the 470lb bike back upright w/o help, and that was after attempting the push it up w/ my legs using the butt on seat trick. At 6'4" and with F800GT virtually flat on the garage floor, I could not get my knees into the best position to help walk it up. I think we can agree that more weight doesn't add much except more weight but in reality is a relatively minor issue at 604lbs, for me, at 6'4" tall, even w/ very marginal upper body strength. I also exercise regularly as well, but the nature of sarcopenia is that at best you can only slow down progressive muscle wasting. I think when RT literally becomes too heavy to move around the garage, which it will if I live that long, it will likely be the end of my riding days. So I'll leave it with how I started it: the only bike that will pry me off of RTW is a substantially lighter version of it (comfort/tech/perf), which does not exist in any machines currently offered.

Last edited:
It's interesting how many riders today are convinced they need at least a 700cc bike to travel more than 50 miles from home.

A couple of years ago we ran into a young man on a Kawasaki 250 Super Sherpa waiting out a thunderstorm near Grand Junction, CO. He was traveling from New York to California. We talked a bit about the Texas Big Bend where we live anad the Sherpa I owned. . We went to a rally at the Sipapu Ski Area in New Mexivco that coming weekend. On the way home we rolled into Roswell, NM and sure enough there he was. We chatted a bit and we found a motel and he went off to camp. Back home a few days later the phone rang. It was him - exploring Big Bend National Park before he headed west to Presidio and onwards to California.

So - as far as I am concerned nobody needs 1200 or 1600 or more CCs to travel. It is a mindset, not a requirement.

My 310 has a wonderful sweet spot at 70 mph and tops out at 90 or so. That is enough to get me to Canada this summer.

Last edited:
My 310 has a wonderful sweet spot at 70 mph and tops out at 90 or so. That is enough to get me to Canada this summer.

A rider with the screen name of DaBinChe rode his 110cc Elite from California to Hyder, AK, then to New Orleans and on to Jacksonville, FL and then back to California a couple of years ago on the scooter cannonball, camping much of the way. The Honda did OK and apparently so did he!

Your 310 has more touring capability than most bikes of any size had up to the 60's or so.

I wonder if smaller/simpler bikes somehow don't seem to age as quickly as the larger more complicated ones?

Last edited:
So - as far as I am concerned nobody needs 1200 or 1600 or more CCs to travel. It is a mindset, not a requirement.

Paul, I wholly agree with you regarding big bikes are not necessarily necessary for long trips. :thumb

In '71 my wife and I took a three month honeymoon. We bought two new massive 49cc Honda mopeds in Edinburgh, Scotland. On those bikes we toured around Scotland, England's Lake District, the west coast, over to France and across the Alps and Pyrenees into Spain, back into France and eventually to London, England. We travelled with very little gear on back roads. It was a blast!:dance

A couple of years ago we ran into a young man on a Kawasaki 250 Super Sherpa waiting out a thunderstorm near Grand Junction, CO. He was traveling from New York to California. We talked a bit about the Texas Big Bend where we live. We went to a rally at the Sipapu Ski Area in New Mexivco that coming weekend. On the way home we rolled into Roswell, NM and sure enough there he was. We chatted a bit and we found a motel and he went off to camp. Back home a few days later the phone rang. It was him - exploring Big Bend National Park before he headed west to Presidio and onwards to California.

Well said !!

And I recall when I started riding a 500cc to 700cc was a mid-size bike. 1100cc's was huge.

I ran across this one night whey I was cruising the internet for interesting motorcycle stuff. I thought it fascinating and truly the adventure spirit.

http://singlecylinderpsyche.com

Back around '95, was at Performance Plus BMW in Memphis, Tn. on a Saturday afternoon. They just put a new tire on for him. He told me he was generally headed toward the UP of Mich. He was pulling a trailor with a flag. He said he wasn't in any kind of hurry, just meandering about here and there, kinda headed that way. A week later I seen him in up state lower Mich. headed north. U really don't even need a motorcycle at all. A scooter will do just fine. :thumb

About 3 years ago we were camped at the City Park in Chouteau Montana. First we met a guy down from the mountains, in his pickup camper with his dog, doing a resupply run before heading back to the American outback. Next we met a lady from France, riding her bicycle from Minnesota to the west coast. Finally we met a young lady from New York, late of her home country, China on her Vespa scooter. It was a somewhat magical evening as we all five sat around a campfire and exchanged stories and good wishes. Everybody should experience such an evening. It is worth more than a person can imagine.

Later, the lady on the scooter and her guy friend spent a few days with us here in Texas before heading off for the west coast. We still stay in contact with them.

There are two key stories here: friends are where you find them; and, 250cc Vespas can conquer the continent. Bet on it!

Back around '95, was at Performance Plus BMW in Memphis, Tn. on a Saturday afternoon. They just put a new tire on for him. He told me he was generally headed toward the UP of Mich. He was pulling a trailor with a flag. He said he wasn't in any kind of hurry, just meandering about here and there, kinda headed that way. A week later I seen him in up state lower Mich. headed north. U really don't even need a motorcycle at all. A scooter will do just fine. :thumb

He was on a Honda Helix scooter. Sorry, I forgot to mention what he was riding.

If the only criteria is to get from A to B, then sure, and that can be done on anything including a bicycle or a moped. But if it's to enjoy incredible performance and comfort, I'll take the 1200 or 1600 any day of the week and twice on Sundays :dance

When they come out with cruise control on a smaller bike, I'd be interested. I also require adequate legroom for my 6'4" frame and 36" inseam. Right now my wethead GS ticks all the boxes.

Back