• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Rear Drive Needs Seals '57 R60

72r60/7

Anyone have suggestions for persons or shops in the East / MidWest to repair vintage Rear Drive units ?
I have a leaking seal or seals and I'm looking for suggestions.

Thanks,
Charlie

How about Blue Moon Cycle in Norcross, GA or Bench Motor Werks, Sturgis, MS. Both are strong, long time BMW Vintage shops. Good luck, be seated when you get an estimate. :)

Friedle

My first choice would be Vech at Benchmark Works. Possibly Chris Betjemann at Barrington Motor Works, although I think they're more into total restorations, not individual parts works...could be wrong. You might give Anton Largiader a call in Charlottesville, VA, if only to see if he has knowledge of others in the Virginia area. His site says '70s and on, but he might have other ideas.

There's also this link:

http://micapeak.com/bmw/Airhead-Shops.html

for other ideas. Not much else is shown for VA...one of them I think might be defunct.

Decided to go with Bench Mark Works and shipped out today.

I really am expecting only seals and a bearing or two, so hope it doesn't develope into a situation.

Base labor is acceptable as I paid that much for a K75 Rear End service twice from two vendors/shops over a period of a couple of years and neither lasted more than 12 to 15 thousand miles.

I remember reading somewhere of a person in Pennsylvania that did Airhead (70's on to me) transmissions and maybe rear ends. Had a pretty good reputation for his work too.

Thanks for replies,
Charlie

Decided to go with Bench Mark Works and shipped out today.

I really am expecting only seals and a bearing or two, so hope it doesn't develope into a situation.

Base labor is acceptable as I paid that much for a K75 Rear End service twice from two vendors/shops over a period of a couple of years and neither lasted more than 12 to 15 thousand miles.

I remember reading somewhere of a person in Pennsylvania that did Airhead (70's on to me) transmissions and maybe rear ends. Had a pretty good reputation for his work too.

Thanks for replies,
Charlie

Charlie, Sounds like you are thinking of Tom Cutter at Rubber Chicken Racing in Yardley, PA. Can't go wrong with Tom. Don't judge him by his website as opposed to his work and well deserved reputation. He even returns phone calls.

Friedl

Charlie, Sounds like you are thinking of Tom Cutter at Rubber Chicken Racing in Yardley, PA. Can't go wrong with Tom. Don't judge him by his website as opposed to his work and well deserved reputation. He even returns phone calls.

Friedl

Tom Cutter is my go-to guy for transmissions and final drives. He is affordable and does superb work.

Back