• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

low beam issues

ERIC W.

A friend and myself both have R1200 GSAs (2007 & 2009); and we are experiencing the same problem. The head light low beam will not work. Lamps have been checked(they checked out good) and replaced just as a precautionary measure w/o any success. We have also tried a quick fix mentioned on the Internet of disconnecting the battery(+ & -) for a short period and then re-connecting also w/o success. Outside of this little issue the bikes have been performing flawlessly. Any info on correcting this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thank You. eric w.

Welcome to the forum, Eric, and your post! One of the moderators will end up moving this to the Hexhead/Camhead forum area later to get other owner's eyeballs on your issues. Hang on...

I assume that you are checking it with the engine running? The low beam won't come on with the ket until the bike is started. Are you showing a LAMPF warning?

Last edited:
I assume that you are checking it with the engine running? The low beam won't dome on with the ket until the bike is started. Are you showing a LAMPF warning?

Although it may sound like a silly question, it is legitimate! Hard to believe both of you to have same problem!
It is a great set up not to turn the lights on until the engine is running. Saves the battery power, as well as the bulb's
life. As a funny part, I never noticed this either when I bought the RT. Shortly after I changed the bulbs with HID's .
Checked the bulbs on the bench before I installed them, and all was good. Once installed , to my surprise, neither one worked!!
:scratch That is when I first learned the LO will not come on until you start the engine.

I learned the same lesson the first time I changed mine. Glad I googled it before I took the new bulb back out!

low beam issue 2

I assume that you are checking it with the engine running? The low beam won't dome on with the ket until the bike is started. Are you showing a LAMPF warning?

I am checking the low beam with the engine running; no low beam, and I'm getting the LAMPF warning. Both bikes have the same symptoms. That is a good question though and I should have included that info in my original question. Thanks for the reply.

We’re the connectors damaged at all? The plastic gets brittle and breaks over time. Had to replace mine with some ceramic ones.

I have seen the bulb orientation on GS bulbs cause a new bulb to not work. Two terminals, but they seem to like only one orientation.
It is possible to put the bulb in 180° off and have the locking clip engage

Back