• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

seat for RT ideas

For those that have RDL seats, how do they handle a factory heated seat? Do they install their own heating system or just use the stock one? Does the driver seat still operate off the wonder wheel?

Thanks

For those that have RDL seats, how do they handle a factory heated seat? Do they install their own heating system or just use the stock one? Does the driver seat still operate off the wonder wheel?

Thanks

They used the stock heaters on my 07RT.

Gents... I'm new here. Do these custom seat makers attend the BMW rallies?

I have not seen Russell at a rally. Rocky Meyer is usually at the BMW MOA National Rally. I have not seen any seat maker at a local rally, but wouldn't rule out the possibility at one of the west coast rallies.

You don't ride non-stop between fuel stops though, do you?

On long trips, my usual intent is a stop every couple hours or 100-150 miles. That often translates into alternating food and fuel stops.

But sometimes I'm having too much fun, or there is not a convenient stopping point, and I forget to make the mid-tank stop.

On long trips, my usual intent is a stop every couple hours or 100-150 miles. That often translates into alternating food and fuel stops.
But sometimes I'm having too much fun, or there is not a convenient stopping point, and I forget to make the mid-tank stop.

That's my exact pattern, and hence can get away w/ the OEM seat. There are good reasons to justify stopping periodically--refresh your ability to give 100% attention to riding, flex your calves and move to reduce the risk of blood clots in your legs pressed into the seat, etc. I can see a custom fitting seat could be a real plus beyond enabling prolonged riding sessions, so if the OEM seat eventually stops working for me I will look into Seth Lamm who is just up the road 90m from home.

When I picked up my 2016 RT after riding it home, I must say I was delighted with the saddle height-I could stop and rest my feet flat on the ground. This is after riding on 3 RDL's. I thought and my wife concurred (She thinks they are great) to get an RDL on the '16, so I rode out there from Cincinnati for a drive in fitting of the custom saddle, 2400 miles. I didn't think the stock saddle was all that bad on the ride out (I had more comfort issues with some upper back pain) and I was dismayed when I first sat on the new RDL and found it raised me back to the height I had to get used to on my previous 3 BMW's. I think the difference in comfort is that I don't grind out the miles like I used to. The RDL's I've had and still have eliminate any posterior comfort issues but for a guy of my stature there is a tradeoff.

I wish I had my old saddle back.

IMHO most of the issue with the seat is that it is tilted forward and you tend to slide towards the tank. My brother and I solved that by installing 3/8” nylon washers and longer bolts underneath the front assembly of the seat. This leveled out the seat and greatly improved rider position. It does add height to the seat however so it may not work for everyone. YMMV

Russell does make two styles of seats, there is the RDL version with the additional spring and such which will raise you a bit, then there is the sport version for us vertically challenged riders. Mine raised me a little till I had about 1200-1500 miles on it then it has settled back to the stock height.

Sargent is having a sale today - percentage off and free shipping. Just ordered a seat for my 2017 RT. They have a 30 day trial period; if it doesn't work for me I'll look at the Seth Lamm seats as recommended by my dealer. I'm using the factory low now but haven't put a lot of miles on it.

http://www.sargentcycle.com

BMW's comfort seat, Amazing

I have rode my fair share of miles on a Sargent world sport atop my 08 k1200gt. The fit and comfort 4/5.
An even better seat is BMW's premium comfort seat ,with heat, atop my 2011RT 5of5 for comfort on long rides.
It is a 1 piece seat and removes the height adjust-ability option, at least on my 11 RT but works well for me.
6'-2" 260lb 32inch inseam with bikes suspension at std height. :wave

I have not seen Russell at a rally. Rocky Meyer is usually at the BMW MOA National Rally. I have not seen any seat maker at a local rally, but wouldn't rule out the possibility at one of the west coast rallies.

Headed to Des Moines for this year's rally, will look for them. Thank you,

Laam Seat Fan

My K1600GTL came with the factory low seat. It was fine for a while, but I needed some height. I rode up to Seth Laam Seats and had him redo the seat and raise it up to the standard height. I put a good 1500 miles on the seat and decided I needed a little more height. Comfort wise, it was fine; I just needed a little more space to open up my knees and hips.

Seth was able to add an additional amount of height and still was able to use the seat cover he built for the original seat. He also did not charge me for the adjustment. He wants happy customers and I'm still a fan of my seat.

You all can go pay $500 plus for a new seat, Im going to go buy a $65 buck pair of Moto-Kiveez Cruiser style.
Was told by several different riders these Boxers are the way to go.

Anyone else care to chime in on Moto-Kiveez or similar??

You all can go pay $500 plus for a new seat, Im going to go buy a $65 buck pair of Moto-Kiveez Cruiser style.

Didn't know these existed. I'm definitely trying a pair.

There are at least two types of discomfort. One comes from perspiration and friction which may be addressed by underwear. But another type is pressure points caused by the seat not fitting the butt (or vice versa). You can't fix a bad seat fit with underwear. You may mitigate it somewhat with an air cushion or a sheep skin or seat beads and that might be sufficient. But you can't fix bruising with underwear.

There are at least two types of discomfort. One comes from perspiration and friction which may be addressed by underwear. But another type is pressure points caused by the seat not fitting the butt (or vice versa). You can't fix a bad seat fit with underwear. You may mitigate it somewhat with an air cushion or a sheep skin or seat beads and that might be sufficient. But you can't fix bruising with underwear.

Nail on the head, Paul. I've tried sheepskin, expensive bicycle shorts, gel pads and Monkey-Butt style creams - turns out by the end of the day, all you've been doing is putting a 'Band-Aid on a fracture'.

Last eight bikes have either been improved with Sargents or Mustangs (OK - I'll admit, I went thru a 'cruiser phase'). Proved to be the way to go, including multiple IBA runs. :thumb

Back