Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: seat for RT ideas

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    IMHO most of the issue with the seat is that it is tilted forward and you tend to slide towards the tank. My brother and I solved that by installing 3/8 nylon washers and longer bolts underneath the front assembly of the seat. This leveled out the seat and greatly improved rider position. It does add height to the seat however so it may not work for everyone. YMMV
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2017 R1200RT White
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA

Russell does make two styles of seats, there is the RDL version with the additional spring and such which will raise you a bit, then there is the sport version for us vertically challenged riders. Mine raised me a little till I had about 1200-1500 miles on it then it has settled back to the stock height.
    1994 R1100RS-(5/93)-,1974 R90/6 built 9/73,--1964 Triumph T100--1986 Concours

Sargent is having a sale today - percentage off and free shipping. Just ordered a seat for my 2017 RT. They have a 30 day trial period; if it doesn't work for me I'll look at the Seth Lamm seats as recommended by my dealer. I'm using the factory low now but haven't put a lot of miles on it.

http://www.sargentcycle.com

BMW's comfort seat, Amazing

I have rode my fair share of miles on a Sargent world sport atop my 08 k1200gt. The fit and comfort 4/5.
    An even better seat is BMW's premium comfort seat ,with heat, atop my 2011RT 5of5 for comfort on long rides.
    It is a 1 piece seat and removes the height adjust-ability option, at least on my 11 RT but works well for me.
    6'-2" 260lb 32inch inseam with bikes suspension at std height.

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I have not seen Russell at a rally. Rocky Meyer is usually at the BMW MOA National Rally. I have not seen any seat maker at a local rally, but wouldn't rule out the possibility at one of the west coast rallies.
    Headed to Des Moines for this year's rally, will look for them. Thank you,
    Rip
    2017 R1200RT

Laam Seat Fan

My K1600GTL came with the factory low seat. It was fine for a while, but I needed some height. I rode up to Seth Laam Seats and had him redo the seat and raise it up to the standard height. I put a good 1500 miles on the seat and decided I needed a little more height. Comfort wise, it was fine; I just needed a little more space to open up my knees and hips.

Seth was able to add an additional amount of height and still was able to use the seat cover he built for the original seat. He also did not charge me for the adjustment. He wants happy customers and I'm still a fan of my seat.

You all can go pay $500 plus for a new seat, Im going to go buy a $65 buck pair of Moto-Kiveez Cruiser style.
    Was told by several different riders these Boxers are the way to go.

Anyone else care to chime in on Moto-Kiveez or similar??

Quote Originally Posted by ballen262 View Post
    You all can go pay $500 plus for a new seat, Im going to go buy a $65 buck pair of Moto-Kiveez Cruiser style.

Didn't know these existed. I'm definitely trying a pair.
    Rip
    2017 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by ballen262 View Post

There are at least two types of discomfort. One comes from perspiration and friction which may be addressed by underwear. But another type is pressure points caused by the seat not fitting the butt (or vice versa). You can't fix a bad seat fit with underwear. You may mitigate it somewhat with an air cushion or a sheep skin or seat beads and that might be sufficient. But you can't fix bruising with underwear.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    There are at least two types of discomfort. One comes from perspiration and friction which may be addressed by underwear. But another type is pressure points caused by the seat not fitting the butt (or vice versa). You can't fix a bad seat fit with underwear. You may mitigate it somewhat with an air cushion or a sheep skin or seat beads and that might be sufficient. But you can't fix bruising with underwear.
    Nail on the head, Paul. I've tried sheepskin, expensive bicycle shorts, gel pads and Monkey-Butt style creams - turns out by the end of the day, all you've been doing is putting a 'Band-Aid on a fracture'.

Last eight bikes have either been improved with Sargents or Mustangs (OK - I'll admit, I went thru a 'cruiser phase'). Proved to be the way to go, including multiple IBA runs.
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF Lead RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle/High Performance/Teen/Winter/ATV Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Track

When I got a new GSA last summer I decided to make an effort to make the stock seat work. Yup, I tried sheep skin, underwear, beads, air cushion and an ATV seat cover from Walmart. All just succeeded in changing the misery to some degree. I finally decided to buy a seat by Terry Adcox and so far it is working quite well. I have not had an opportunity to make a real long ride on it but on a 200 mile stint I realized I wasn't thinking about my posterior for a change. Custom made on the OEM frame and cost was reasonable at $250 plus shipping.

Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    Looks a lot like an RDL.