Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: seat for RT ideas

When I sent my seat in based on my scheduled rebuild date the turnaround time was a couple of weeks. I would contact them to see where you would fall in their current schedule, you could have a nice seat for the start of the season. I know I am sure glad I did. Building a solo for my RS was less expensive than the Sargent or Corbin, better result.
    1994 R1100RS-(5/93)-,1974 R90/6 built 9/73,--1964 Triumph T100--1986 Concours

Another vote here for the RDL. Had one on my 1200GS, and loved it. Most comfortable seat ever.

I only chimed in to suggest you look for a used seat for your RT. I don't know how common they are. I found used F&R seats for my GS for a very reasonable price on the IBMWR site, and used them for the RDL builds. When I finally got rid of the GS and switched to Harley, that allowed me to sell the RDL seats separately from the bike, for a very nice price.
    Howard Edwards

2014 Road King; 1975 R75/6

Quote Originally Posted by lhilbert View Post
    I have a 2016 rt and love the bike but hate the seat how bmw can make such a good bike but have such an uncomfortable seat is beyond me. looking to see what others have done.
    I have installed Sargent seats on every BMW I have owned; including my RT.
    My anatomy must match that of their designer.

Joe
    “Fate whispers to the warrior, 'You can not withstand the storm.'
    The warrior whispers back, 'I am the storm.'

Probably not the solution you are looking for, but for $40 you can get a wood beaded seat or cut a cheap car beaded seat ($20) in half for a test. I'd try the the $40, made for a motorcycle, model for a first purchase.

I'd seen these for many years and wondered "What in the World?"and "Ugly!".
    First two hours on the interstate highway I thought it was a lot more comfortable that the (Corbin) seat I had and I found out comfort is not ugly.

Wouldn't it be nice to solve your problem for $40 ?
    It'll fit all your bikes and your next one too, maybe.

Charlie
    Last edited by 72r60/7; 02-16-2018 at 11:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post

Cannot comprehend how someone could fit a seat that doesn't allow them to move around.
    If a person were to attend the start or finish of the 11 day Iron Butt Rally - as I have done every two years since 1999 - you would find that the majority of the participants ride on Russell Day Long saddles, and if not then either a Rick or Rocky Mayer. A few Rich's or Sargeant seats also appear. But the vast majority over the years have been RDL saddles.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

For those that have RDL seats, how do they handle a factory heated seat? Do they install their own heating system or just use the stock one? Does the driver seat still operate off the wonder wheel?

Thanks

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EvryDayRide View Post
    For those that have RDL seats, how do they handle a factory heated seat? Do they install their own heating system or just use the stock one? Does the driver seat still operate off the wonder wheel?

Thanks
    They used the stock heaters on my 07RT.

Gents... I'm new here. Do these custom seat makers attend the BMW rallies?
    Rip
    2017 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by rip0357 View Post
    Gents... I'm new here. Do these custom seat makers attend the BMW rallies?
    I have not seen Russell at a rally. Rocky Meyer is usually at the BMW MOA National Rally. I have not seen any seat maker at a local rally, but wouldn't rule out the possibility at one of the west coast rallies.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by jammess View Post
    I can ride non-stop between fuel stops all day and do it again the next day which is pretty good for being mid seventies.
    You don't ride non-stop between fuel stops though, do you?

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ncpbmw1953 View Post
    I do when touring with no problem but I am only mid 60’s.

I do it all the time and I'm 68. I've got a RDL.
    Steve
    MOA #208308
    2016 R1200RT San Marino Blue Metalic,
    2017 Yamaha FZ-07

On long trips, my usual intent is a stop every couple hours or 100-150 miles. That often translates into alternating food and fuel stops.

But sometimes I'm having too much fun, or there is not a convenient stopping point, and I forget to make the mid-tank stop.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    On long trips, my usual intent is a stop every couple hours or 100-150 miles. That often translates into alternating food and fuel stops.
    But sometimes I'm having too much fun, or there is not a convenient stopping point, and I forget to make the mid-tank stop.
    That's my exact pattern, and hence can get away w/ the OEM seat. There are good reasons to justify stopping periodically--refresh your ability to give 100% attention to riding, flex your calves and move to reduce the risk of blood clots in your legs pressed into the seat, etc. I can see a custom fitting seat could be a real plus beyond enabling prolonged riding sessions, so if the OEM seat eventually stops working for me I will look into Seth Lamm who is just up the road 90m from home.

When I picked up my 2016 RT after riding it home, I must say I was delighted with the saddle height-I could stop and rest my feet flat on the ground. This is after riding on 3 RDL's. I thought and my wife concurred (She thinks they are great) to get an RDL on the '16, so I rode out there from Cincinnati for a drive in fitting of the custom saddle, 2400 miles. I didn't think the stock saddle was all that bad on the ride out (I had more comfort issues with some upper back pain) and I was dismayed when I first sat on the new RDL and found it raised me back to the height I had to get used to on my previous 3 BMW's. I think the difference in comfort is that I don't grind out the miles like I used to. The RDL's I've had and still have eliminate any posterior comfort issues but for a guy of my stature there is a tradeoff.

I wish I had my old saddle back.