• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2016 R1200RT vs. 2017 R1200RT

pbryant018

Does anyone want to break down the biggest difference between these two bikes? I have the 2016, and love everything about the bike but I really love that dark blue color they introduced in 2017. Besides the color, is there a practical reason to go from the 2016 to the 2017? My local dealer has quite a few 17’s in stock and I’m pretty sure I could get an okay deal on my trade and on the 2017.

Well right now BMW will give you a Nav 6,

Looks like that offer is only for a GS and GSA.

FOR A LIMITED TIME RECEIVE A BMW NAVIGATOR VI GPS.
Now through February 28, 2018.

The best way to get where you are going is with the Navigator VI. So for a limited time, you’ll receive a free BMW Navigator VI GPS (part number: 77-52-8-355-998) when you purchase an incredibly versatile new 2017 R 1200 GS or R 1200 GS Adventure.

*A $949 value, GPS mount and installation not included; no substitutions. Ask your salesperson for details. Offer valid until February 28, 2018.

Does anyone want to break down the biggest difference between these two bikes? I have the 2016, and love everything about the bike but I really love that dark blue color they introduced in 2017. Besides the color, is there a practical reason to go from the 2016 to the 2017? My local dealer has quite a few 17’s in stock and I’m pretty sure I could get an okay deal on my trade and on the 2017.

The important differences in the last 3 model years:

MY17's got ABS PRO, and have the option of 1.9% APR, based on qualification.

MY18's have:
- more available colors, 5 in total including two Option 719 metallic colors that come from M series cars (+$1,700), and the Option 719 Seat on bikes with the special colors.
- The important one... DTC, vs. ASC (a genuinely big difference) comes standard. With DTC standard, all of the LC Boxers now (finally) have the 'latest/greatest' ABS and traction control, utilizing bank angle sensors.

If safety is a high priority, pass on the great interest rate and get a 2018... IMO, YMMV, etc...

- The important one... DTC, vs. ASC (a genuinely big difference) comes standard. With DTC standard, all of the LC Boxers now (finally) have the 'latest/greatest' ABS and traction control, utilizing bank angle sensors.

If safety is a high priority, pass on the great interest rate and get a 2018... IMO, YMMV, etc...

Looking at the BMW website shows corning ABS it's still an option as part of the Premium package.

The 2017s on the dealer floor may have cornering ABS as a lot of bikes on the showroom floor are fully loaded.

ABS PRO is not specifically attached to the premium package, it IS connected directly to RIDE MODES PRO though. I build MY RT's 3 different ways, even my most basic, or "essential build" as it's referred to in the shop, keeps all of the to the ground tech, including ABS PRO. Here's an example... the sheet doesn't specify ABS PRO, but you know it's there because it has the RIDE MODES PRO (excuse formatting loss):

Model 18RT R 1200 RT US USD 18,395.00
Color N1L Mars Red Metallic / Dark Slate Metallic N/C
Upholstery N/C
Options 233 Touring Package 1,400.00
191 Dynamic ESA N/C
272 GPS Preparation N/C
518 Heated Seat N/C
538 Cruise Control N/C
238 Dynamic Package 325.00
204 Hill Start Control N/C
219 Headlight Pro N/C
224 Ride Modes Pro N/C