• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R100RS tire sizes

tubeless

I just ordered Metzelers. They have the sizes and are quality tires. But, I was going to order tubes and the parts guy said tubeless. Said he used to work for BMW in the 80s and was positive they are tubeless. Is this correct? (I read Snowbum's whole article on this and still couldn't figure out which).

I just ordered Metzelers. They have the sizes and are quality tires. But, I was going to order tubes and the parts guy said tubeless. Said he used to work for BMW in the 80s and was positive they are tubeless. Is this correct? (I read Snowbum's whole article on this and still couldn't figure out which).

'81 RS!!

I am not aware of any Airheads that came OEM with tubeless tires but that was a long time ago and memory fades, but if it has spokes it needs tubes for sure.

Exactly which Metzelers? I bought a Metzeler Block-C for my R69S. Definitely tube-type.

It does not have spokes - snowflakes.

METZELER ME888 110/90-19 FRONT TIRE which says it's a 3.25

Metzeler Lasertec 4.00-18 Rear Tire

METZELER ME888 110/90-19 FRONT TIRE which says it's a 3.25

Metzeler Lasertec 4.00-18 Rear Tire

Metzeler makes a Lasertec in 3.25x19. Why not match up with the rear and maintain the inch sizing? As far as a 110 on front, it will not fit and if you could shoehorn it in, it would ride miserably. 3.25" is not 110mm.

Which brings us to the worse-than-an-oil-thread about the need (or not) for the safety bead on tubeless rims designed to keep the tire and rim from separating during deflation. A million words have been written on this topic.

Snowflake wheels were equipped with tubes by BMW. Folks have been arguing about this forever.

For the record, '85 and later mono-shock airhead road bikes have true tubeless wheels. Not sure about GS versions.

Can't believe I was pushed around by some sales guy. Sending the 110/90 back and ordering tubes.

Can't believe I was pushed around by some sales guy. Sending the 110/90 back and ordering tubes.

Don't let him talk you into heavy duty tubes. Their only value is against pinch flats when run at very low (off-road) tire pressures. Standard weight tubes are best for street. My go-to is the Michelin Airstop standard street tube.

I don't think the ME888 is available in 3.25 x 19; you'll have to go to the old-school (but not as old-school as the K-Block) Lasertec front, which is still available in 3.25 x 19. Don't know whether they still offer that front tire in both H and V-rated versions; I believe the Lasertec rear 4.00 x 18 is only available in a V-rated edition.

For the record, '85 and later mono-shock airhead road bikes have true tubeless wheels. Not sure about GS versions.

The GS (or G/S--I never remember when that detail changed) didn't use tubeless tires until the R100GS model came out (as an '88?) with the cross-spoke wheels and Paralever rear end. The R80G/S bikes (monoshock '81-'86) all had regular spoked wheels, and ran tubes.

won't seat

The tire saga continues. I sent back the 120 rear (bad advice from J&P) and got the Metzeler 3.25 x 18 rear tire. I'm a little annoyed that it's brand new from 0517. That's close to a year old, but what can you do? Ask those sales people and they say, oh yeah we don't keep tires long. BS.

I thought removing the 9 year old tire was going to be the most difficult thing. I did it without too much sweat (small bites). BUT when I installed the new tire I found it just will not seat properly. As in, really not even around. The bead line is way under in some spots and I've let out the air and re-inflated three times. I pushed the tire off the outer rim so it might evenly inflate. I pushed down on the flat spot. I even re-lubricated the worst spot. I bounced around it at low pressure, then I've pumped it to 50lbs and put it over night in the warm boiler room. I can't think of anything else to try.

Ideas?

thanks

when I mounted avons on spoke wheels on the R90/6 they seated beautifully. Actually, the only tires I've mounted ever that style wheel. I cleaned the inside of the snowflake rims and they looked fine. I'm wondering if they are sticker than the steel rims?

I can't think it's the tire.

Are these tires going onto Snowflake rims?

If so, remove the tire and clean the inside of the rim meticulously. After it is squeaky clean, lube the rim and the tire and try it again.

Difficult bead seating is common with Michelin Pilot Activ tires but if you have the right sizes, this should help.

Also try removing the core of the valve stem and filling the tire as quickly as you can.

Yes, I'll try that. My simple little electric pump is pretty under powered. So the slow inflation doesn't help.

thanks

Back